Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Palilalia

Thanks

Default Palilalia

i only repeat my own words really but if i hear something that is strange to me like an accent i will repeat something they have said quietly under my breath,i dont do this often,ionly if i say or hear something that really grips me,my son (age 7) also does this and sometimes i can hear his little whispers,he will either repeat his own or someone elses words,and usually the last one or two words of the sentence
    jo

Thanks

Default Palilalia

Cailean, what midnight wrote (and you "Quoted") sounds like OCD, not TS

Thanks

Default Palilalia

sounds like OCD, not TS
    why do you say so?

Thanks

Default palilalia info

Midnight,

My husband and I recently discovered that this "tic" exists - our son has been repeating the last few words of his sentences since last year, and none of his teachers knew about palilalia. He has mild ADD and a ton of food/animal allergies. We are looking for info on the subject -any ideas? So far any searches on the web have proven fruitless - just basic definitions of the word without causes, treatment, etc...

Thanks

Default Palilalia

Welcome to the TSFC forum!

My son has some of the same concerns.

It is important not to single it out and depending on the age and understanding the condition different things work for different people.

My son changes positions, like getting up from the computer and walking away for a bit.
    Sometimes he focuses on something else and it helps.

If it is becoming a problem with school and you have a local chapter in your area a in service program can sometimes help the teaching staff and students better understand it so your child is not singled out.

It certainly helped in our case.
    PJK

Thanks

Default Re: Palilalia

Quote Originally Posted by net5dd View Post
    Cailean, what midnight wrote (and you "Quoted") sounds like OCD, not TS
    I don't get this. In my opinion TS is OCD. You can label them anyway you want but there is no TS without OCD. Motor and vocal tics are all compulsions. It is all obsessive compulsive behavior. And honestly what difference does it make? But if we are so hung up on labels, then realize that Palilalia is in fact categorized under TS.

Palilalia is my most common tic. Everything that has been mentioned in this thread, I take part in plus so much more. I repeat everything. I cannot watch TV without repeating things I hear in my own head or aloud. I will repeat sounds, words, mimick movements, over and over again. There is constantly a loop of words, and songs going in my head at all times. Sometimes, even under my own current thoughts, lies this continupous loop. I repeat things I have just heard or read, or even thought myself. And I also repeat things I heard 25 years ago. Some of these lines of dialogue never go away. Some I repeat for an hour and never call upon them again. In a way I don't mind the palilalia so much. Echolalia I can do without because other people can hear it. But Palilalia is the only tic I can truly hide form the world. It's my own torture. The person in the seat next to me on that long plane ride doesn't have to know about it.
    Check out my tic ridden blog:
    http://ticticticboom.blogspot.com/

Thanks

I repeat particular words or phrases that I hear others say. I pick out certain sounding words and have to play with that word, like rhyme it, pun it and incorporate it back into the conversation.
    Swearing is a big tic for me. I have a particular slew of filth in the same order that I must say out loud or and write it. I have trouble not interrupting, because I need to repeat what they are saying in my dirty-ass way.
    If I don't indulge these urges for the most part, then I explode and then everyone can hear my mouth and my tics in my neck and everywhere get real bad. The my body hurts like I got beat up, especially my head.
    NO wonder I am divorced and no boyfriend(s). I don't make a good first date ! LOL
    PRICE IS WHAT YOU PAY, VALUE IS WHAT YOU GET.

Thanks

This is prolly one of the biggest things I do. The number of repetitive phrases and small tunes I seem to repeat over and over and over again staggers. This, for me, is one of the biggest indicators of TS in myself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trashtalk View Post
    I repeat particular words or phrases that I hear others say. I pick out certain sounding words and have to play with that word, like rhyme it, pun it and incorporate it back into the conversation. Swearing is a big tic for me.
    This could be written by my husband. In addition to palilalia, echolalia and coprolalia he has lexilalia as well (reads and repeats words he sees in his environment aloud, ranging from streetnames to subtitles on TV). And then at times his has also other echophenomena, like writing down on a piece of paper what he hears from TV or radio. This happens in a random fashion - he never goes to get a pen or a piece of paper in order to do this, but if they are already at hand this might occur.

I found a related article (A stimulus-sensitive tic disorder characterized by echophenomena and coprolalia - Apaydin - 2011 - Movement Disorders - Wiley Online Library ) but they don't even provide the abstract for free.
    Last edited by Outa; January 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks

OMG just what I need...two more tags for what I see in myself.

I wonder if there's one to describe my constant need to drum on things...