Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving with TS

Thanks

Default Driving with TS

Does anyones TS affect there driving, or stop them from driving? I know it s persons personal choice to drive with it or not. When i drive the tic that bothers me the most is my eye blinking, because sometimes i hold my eyes shut never safe while driving lol. But its never stopped me, i try to hold them back as best as i can while im driving. Sometimes i dont feel safe with driving but i do fine with it. I try to wait till im at a stop sign or a red light to get them out, then have the people in the car next 2 me staring lol. Does anyone else have driving issues?

Jessica

Thanks

Default Re: Driving with TS

Having TS could impact your driving if you are not at a point where you can manage the tics or urges. The reason driving is an area where you need to suppress or self-manage is because of it being a dangerous place should you allow your every urge express it-self. Imagine what would happen if you felt the urge to swing the steering wheel to the right while driving on a straight road... but you can't! and I'm sure you won't. Over time you will increase your confidence level with driving and not worry so much. You have already demonstrated your level of responsibility through suppressing till a light which is a great strategy.

You will be fine however if you continue to feel anxiety or stress when driving you may want to talk to your doctor.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Thanks

I think a lot of it has to do with self-awareness. I tic when I drive....that's how one of my friends found out I had TS....he was driving behind me and thought I was having a seizure so he followed just to make sure I was OK. Anyways...it depends on the type of day I am having and how my tics are....If I'm ticcing alot, I leave extra room between cars to give myself more reaction time if I'm blinking or head twitching. Other days when the tics aren't bad, I can tailgate like the best of them...lol.

It's all being comfortable and aware of your capabilities and limitations and adjusting for them.

Thanks

Jessica are you new to the roads?

You could possibly try sticking to regular routes to help with anxiety. It might help.

Find other options to getting around on bad days or after lack of sleep.

Janet is right about approaching your physician. A OT could help you better manage your personal awareness & possible some redirecting skills.

I know in my daughter's case as a new driver without TS she is such a bundle of nerves I'd feel more comfortable four car lengths back..LOL But like anyone she needs to experience to build confidence.

In time you will find the balance. Anything new adds stress/anxiety for my son but in time he does not respond the same way as the experience is no longer new. Hard to express but simple.

Take care and keep us posted.
    PJK

Thanks

The only thing that ever gets in the way with driving for me is my blinking, which impairs my vision at its worst. This doesn't happen all that often, though, but when it does the solution is just to wait it out.

If a tic is interfering with your driving, don't drive. Get someone else to give you a lift, take a bus, whatever. Always better to err on the side of caution -- (and we don't want the insurance people to up our premiums! :P Being a guy under 25, mine is high enough as it is!)

For me, though, driving usually calms me down more than anything.
    Colin

Thanks

Last semester I had a motor tic while driving that forced me off the road and into a bush. I manage my tics more with medication now so that its at a point where I can control them or simply redirect the motor tic into one of my hands which isn't gripping the wheel. Usually I drive with one hand on the wheel and one hand on the gear stick, so that when I have to tic, I can simply release my hand on the gear stick and redirect all tics to my hand.
    TS and Chorn's disease, two diseases triggered by stress. Why am I going into special education one of the most stressful professions out there?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticMind View Post
    I try to wait till im at a stop sign or a red light to get them out, then have the people in the car next 2 me staring lol. Does anyone else have driving issues?

Jessica
    Wow, I do that too! Great minds think alike, I guess.

I've been pretty fortunate not to have any serious issues. If I feel unsafe, I'll just pull over to the side or into the nearest parking lot or driveway and let myself tic until I'm ready to go again.

Thanks

I've only got TS mildly(thankfully) but am I bit concerned about it should my arm/hand/leg decide to jump while I'm riding the scooter. It's on a 50cc but I think it would still hurt as much to hit the ground.

While I'm riding, I don't really experience anything which might be because I have always found driving/riding what grounds me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticMind View Post
    Does anyones TS affect there driving, or stop them from driving? I know it s persons personal choice to drive with it or not. When i drive the tic that bothers me the most is my eye blinking, because sometimes i hold my eyes shut never safe while driving lol. But its never stopped me, i try to hold them back as best as i can while im driving. Sometimes i dont feel safe with driving but i do fine with it. I try to wait till im at a stop sign or a red light to get them out, then have the people in the car next 2 me staring lol. Does anyone else have driving issues?

Jessica
    Wow, and I naively thought I was the only one having this problem, reading your post is amazing, I think you read my mind! (and that can be a scary place

Thanks

Driving is a question on my mind too. I'm just going through diagnosis and have had a recent tic flare up. I find I tic less when driving but it happens.

Is this something I should let my boss know? I am hoping that with finishing my undergrad degree, my tics will decrease and I won't have too much of a problem this summer. But I will be one of the main drivers of the work truck. (I am working as a field technician doing biology research.)

Right now I do not drive much because I bus everywhere in the city. I want my supervisor to know about this issue (so that he knows that I need to maybe pull over more often to take a break) but I don't want to cause greater concern than necessary about driving (the place I work for is quite concerned about reducing liability.)

Any suggestions on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Northstar