Thread: Tourette- ADHD and mood swings

Thanks

Default Tourette- ADHD and mood swings

Anyone diagnosed with Tourettes comorbid ADHD with mood swings.
    How would you describe your mood swings?

Vinton

Thanks

Default Re: Tourette- ADHD and mood swings

Hi I have Ts with ADHD/OCD and I don't experience mood swings but I definitely experience "low tolerance" or sometimes a short fuse. What I experience is moments when things get so irritating that I lose it. I am not violent but I can feel my level of frustration rise and then I have to take "white space" and be alone. At times I have found myself yelling and then once I realize I am losing it, I time myself out and have to go back and apologize to the ones I love. I have never found myself in this type of situation outside the comfort of my home.

When you ask about mood swings what are you referring to? Do you find you are experiencing mood swings?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Thanks

Hi Janet,

The first time I saw the psychiatrist she told me that i dont have bipolar but the mood swing related to ADHD are with a short period. She said that I have no brakes!!!

Do you take any medication?

She tried ritalin and all the tics came out worse.
    Shae tried risperdal at 1 mg for a month and the anxiety was so bad but I did not tell her so she raised it to 3 mgs and I ended up in the hospital on a cardiac monitor. So I'm waiting to see her.

I'm French so I will try to translate:

My worse problems are impulsion phobia, ruminations and impulsions.

Beside I've had Multiple sclerosis for 35 years. Guess I've got the jackpot!!lol.

Vinton

Thanks

I struggled with impulsive behavior as well as low tolerance for years... prior to knowing I had TS. I isolated many people along the way and destroyed relations too because of this.

Once I realized what I was dealing with I was aware of how I impacted people I learned to self-manage. I have a crazy busy lfe. I work full time and have four boys -2 with TSplus and 2 who will be diagnosed (both symptomatic) plus I volunteer a lot of my time to support others living with TS. I started to become overwelmned a few years ago and tried ritalin and it has worked for me. I don't think it increased my tics...I feel the fact that I know understand myself and am comfortable in who I am and what I have that my tics "flow free" now I must admit my tics are mild, simple tics and what has negatively impacted my life over the years has been the ADHD and OCB(ehaviors) ... reassurance seeking, getting stuck on issues, not biting my tongue before I speak Now with increased self-awareness I bite my tongue a lot and I have learned the social game. ;)

My two older sons are in risperdone and it has worked. My oldest has axiety and my second does not. They are both on ritalin too for focus. I have anxiety too and because I am aware I find I can self-talk my way through things. I have a lot of conversations with myself

When you make the decisions to try meds you really need to be open and honest with your doctor. When is your appointment? I would suggest you phone her and tell her what is happening if your appointment is not soon. You need to fully disclosure when using these medications. It is too risky to not share all of the changes you experience.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Thanks

She sees my daughter who is a GP and her daughter. Now! she tells me that I dont had OCD but I've seen her about 45 minutes total. I know that I have it and my daughter has it too from her behavior. She will only eat what she brins. Cant touch hers ustensils etc.

My mother had it , my sister and her two sons but years ago it was not known.

I'm on effexor at 150 mgs per day due to my obession of getting off clonazepam which I brought dow from 2.5 mgs to 0.25 mgs.

I was thnking of asking her to switch to a SSRI instead od a SNRI(effexor).

All these years I have the burden of proof ( was a cop lol) . S

Thanks

Hi Janet,

you mentionned obsessions. Could you tell me if this is considered as an obession.

I had water in my basement and had to renovate. I decided to enlarge my shop and turn it into a woodworking shop.
    I spent a lot of time planning the design and after I was all over I started to shop for tools . Visited store,checked catalogs and hors on the net and actually spent hours to get the best tools and hours to place my shop .After I started to do small projects but it took me some much energy to figure hhe out the plans and to make them that frustration set in and sold it all.

Thanks

Hi there

This could fall into the obsessive category. Must have everything just right. All the best product and best equipment to ensure that it is done perfectly right. But like a lot of these symptoms, the sensation comes and goes. Then we get exhausted with getting everything just perfect that the attention and passion sometimes gets lost along the way. I have gone this route so often... in a less expensive project I keep doing this with re-organizing myself. You would not believe how much money I have spent at Staples. LOL

I am sure others can relate.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:

Pat_121847 (April 4, 2013)

Thanks

Interesting!!
    I will explain further!
    In 73 got into photography and ended up setup a business and for over a year was into it 24x7. Ended up with an MS attack and depression.
    In 81 started music and ended up with a band 24x7 again with practicing and was off for 3 months with a burn out.
    2006 I sang one night at a party and the next day was shopping for music stuff which I got the next week and was at it 24x7 practicing but this time I found out I had ADHD which had been the cause all along that I could not remember a song that I had praticed for hoursso sold everything.

AND MY DOCTOR SAYS THAT i DONT HAVE OCD...

O H BY THE WAY JANET THEY PUT ME ON STRATERRA 3 WEEKS AGO FOR ADHD...SINCE IT DOES NOT WORSEN TICS.

Thanks you've been a great help
    Last edited by Vinton; September 3, 2007 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks

Arrow Re: Tourette- ADHD and mood swings

I get mood swings and also tend to take on different projects that I do till I burn out. When I reach that burn out point I often crash for the next few days.
    I used to be on Effexor and other SSRI and some SNRI and all they did for me was to increase my tics and make me even more hyper and messed up in my head.
    On those meds I was up and down with my moods , like a yoyo.
    I stopped seeing a psychiatrist for these issues and switched camps to neurology.
    These are neurological problems, not psychiatric and once I started to insist that I be treated accordingly, the type of meds changed and so have I, for the better.

Instead of those drugs, I am very careful of what I eat. I stay away from sugar and processed foods.
    I keep a very strict sleep routine and get up at the same time everyday and that helps with the moodiness, too.
    Try taking vitamin D, and Calcium/Magnesium. Both have helped calm the extremes in mood, be it in a down or getting all hyped up again.

Marijuana is my other major medical helper and smoking a few joints can really even me out.
    I do have a license to possess, btw.

I know I don't have that 'brake' system in my head and that's why I get obsessive.

I have been given a secondary diagnosis of OCD, Bi-polar Type 2, and ADHD, along with Tourette's as the Primary.
    PRICE IS WHAT YOU PAY, VALUE IS WHAT YOU GET.