78. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

48 61.54%
  • NO

20 25.64%
  • In the process of making a decision

10 12.82%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: How many parents chose to Medicate?

Thanks

Default Re: How many parents chose to Medicate?

Quote Originally Posted by jenjoshstars
    i would never medicate my son. Fact is you will never stop tourettes and thats the truth. My son has even told me he never wants medication because thevside effects could be worse then his tourettes.
    Everyone's response is different, and while it's true that some medications used to control tics, such as Haloperidol (Haldol) might cause unacceptable side effects in some people, these choices should be made in conjunction with one's doctor based on the benefits vs the risks of the treatment under consideration.

In people whose ability to function in daily life because of their tics, the benefits of some types of treatments might outweigh the inconvenience of some side effects.

However, many of the co-morbid conditions that frequently accompany Tourette, such as OCD, ADD, ADHD, anxiety and even depression are generally easily treated with medications that are relatively well tolerated.

Perhaps your son has been prejudiced by inaccurate information he might have heard, and depending on the severity of his tics and/or other conditions, he would do himself a disservice by closing the door to at least considering treatments that might help.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve For This Useful Post:

JenM (May 28, 2012)

Thanks

Hey guys, has anyone ever heard of "Tic Tamer?" It's a Homeopathic formula to control involuntary tics and jerking. I just ordered it online from a company called Native Remedies...The natural choice. It's $41. a bottle. They take 5 drops 3-5 times daily. (in water or on tongue) My son hasn't tried it yet. I'm going to a pharmacist to see what they think and if it's ok to take it with Strattera. I'd appreciate some feedback. I hope it helps my boy.

Thanks

Honestly, there is no evidence that ANY homeopathic remedies do anything at all for any medical or mental health condition that you could not achieve with a placebo ("sugar pill"). Indeed, the entire theoretical basis for homeopathy has no scientific basis whatsoever.

I'm afraid you have just wasted $41.

The good news is that it won't interact with Strattera or any other medication since homeopathic remedies are 99.9% water.

Thanks

I am new to TS and I would say it is an individual choice and situation.
    First I learned is: Nobody (kids and then adults) with TS are alike.
    I choose not to at this point but if there was situation or my kid would ask for it I'd proabably consider.
    I do not know enough about my option and the meds. Just if TS was painful there is no doubt on my mind.
    Then there is also the question for the co morbid disorders?
    Do you medicate for those seperate or is there a 1 fit all (most likely not)
    So far we have no need for us. Anxiety is big but we were told son has good coping skills (told this comes from parents made me proud)
    There is only 2 tics I could get worried about the jaw popping since it cause problems and the stiffing back thing what is new and just far in between and not a constant tic.
    Last edited by mutter; December 4, 2012 at 08:11 AM.

Thanks

Do you medicate for those seperate or is there a 1 fit all (most likely not)
    There is no medication specific to suppress tics, however several medications have been found somewhat effective in some people to suppress tics, and are prescribed off label.

Treating co morbid conditions like OCD, ADD anxiety, even depression is much easier with medication therapy, often combined with various forms of supportive psychotherapy.

Currently advocacy groups such as the TSFC and TSA are recommending Comprehensive Behavioural Intervention for Tics (CBIT) which is a form of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy designed specifically for children (people) with Tourette Syndrome.

If you search for CBIT on our Forum and elsewhere you can acquaint yourself with this relatively recent addition to treatment modalities that does not use medications, but rather teaches self awareness and strategies to voluntarily temporarily suppress or redirect tic expressions.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve For This Useful Post:

mutter (December 4, 2012)

Thanks

I choose to medicate my son (a very hard choice). He is on Clonidine. Not a lot of difference. He is mostly though being treated for his co-morbid conditions. Its not an easy decision that's for sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mamamack
    Its not an easy decision that's for sure.
    For the benefit of other parents dealing with making these choices, would you elaborate on what makes the decision to medicate one's child difficult to make, and what are the issues that enter into that decision?

Thanks

We struggled with putting my son on meds for about a year. A 6 yr old going on these kinds of harsh medications. I worried about his overall health, his liver, kidneys and never mind what long term effects they may have. I then realized I was doing him more harm then good. The quality of his life was really far from what it should be. He was a little 6 yr old boy who was a danger to others, but more importantly a danger to himself. (more of his co-morbid disorders). In order to function he needed something to help him, more than what I could give him. Yes sometimes I sometimes second guess myself, but long term if hes not on medications now, what kind of life can he have long term. There is depression, self harm, suicide. I don't even wanna think of what could happen. Russley Barkley once said that we wouldn't keep medication from a diabetic, so why would we keep medication from a child with ADHD? I hope this is what you were looking for?!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamamack For This Useful Post:

Steve (August 12, 2013)

Thanks

Although my son is on medication i hate it. He just started taking it as school started.

Thanks

How old is your son? May I ask what he is medicated for?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamamack For This Useful Post:

Steve (September 16, 2013)