Thread: Head shaking

Thanks

Default Head shaking

My 6 1/2 year old just started having tics recently, she has been shaking her head non stop for about 3 weeks now. She also has some eye blinking tics as well. The head shaking is starting to make her feel sick, nauseated and headachey. Any advice out there on what I can do to help her with this? Thanks.

Thanks

Default Re: Head shaking

Hello Kelownamom,

Has your daughter been seen by a pediatrician or neurologist experienced in treating children with Tourette?

As you know, if your daughter has Tourette Syndrome, her tics are involuntary, so she is unable to stop on her own.

At 6 1/2 she is probably just starting to express her tics, so she has little experience in even attempting to suppress, if indeed she can. Not everyone with Tourette is able to voluntarily suppress their tics, although some studies using cognitive behavioural therapy suggest some children can learn some suppression techniques.

Other factors that might serve to increase tic activity might be stress caused, perhaps by family members showing disapproval for her tic activity.

What is the acceptance level of the family in and around the home of your daughter's tics?

Does your daughter have a "safe place" at home where she can be alone and express her tics at will and to the extent she needs without interfering with others, and not be interfered with herself?

Thanks

Default Re: Head shaking

She has not seen anyone yet. She has an appointment with a paediatrician in August. We have been trying to just ignore the tics. Her older brother has TS as well, so we know not to give them much attention, however his tics have never been as bad as her head shaking. She is also experiencing alot of anxiety lately as well, not wanting to go to school or social events, but seems to be her old self at home. She just started having tics about a month ago, the same time as her anxiety issues. I'm just worried that they are so severe, so quickly. And also, she complains of nausea everyday, so I'm thinking the head shaking is giving her some motion sickness.

Thanks

Smile Re: Head shaking

She is also experiencing alot of anxiety lately as well, not wanting to go to school or social events
    Is it possible other kids might be drawing attention to her because of her tics, perhaps even teasing or at worst, bullying?

If this is the case, you would need to speak to the teacher, or principal to determine their understanding of Tourette and what is their policy on children with the disorder.

The TSFC has an In Service Training Guide for this very purpose and some local TSFC Chapters can provide a volunteer In Service trainer who will present the material to your child's school. If a volunteer is unavailable, it is designed so that you could present it yourself.

Additionally, a presentation to your daughter's classmates, on Tourette can often be helpful.

It may help your daughter if you help her with a ready explanation to anyone who is puzzled by her tics and where she feels she needs to explain.

Usually if a child learns something like "I have Tourette Syndrome, a neurological (or brain) disorder that causes me to do or say these things. Tourette Syndrome is involuntary, adn I cannot control my tics"

If she role plays and rehearses her little explanation with you, she can be ready to face the world.

Print out a copy of one of our handouts that she can carry to give to someone when needed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve For This Useful Post:

kelownamom (April 26, 2011)