Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Risperdal and other meds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risperdal and other meds

Hello Everyone,
    I have read some things on medication. My son is nine and has been on Melatonin for sleep for a few months. Now his doctor would like to put him on Risperdal for his tics and anxiety. I am very apprehensive about medications. I do know the side effects of this drug. I am wondering what type of results people have had with it.
    Concerned Mom
    Sheena

Risperdal

Hi
    My 12 year old son tried Risperdal. He took it for vocal tics. He slept really well while on it, he ate better while on it ( he's really thin) and it seemed to help with anxiety. Didn't seem to help much with the vocal tics. The worst side effects for him was they made him confused. Quite a few times he had this confused look on his face, and he said, "Mom, I'm all mixed up." He realized that the medication was doing it, and he did not want to take it. He had a hard time getting his work done in school, and it seemed to take the edge off his quick mind. Since it wasn't doing what we had hoped, we took him off it. I thought we gave it a fair try. His vocal tics were really bad for about 4 months, then they got better. Some days are pretty bad, other days we hardly notice any. I have spoken with some other parents, and Risperdal worked fine for their children. Some drugs work better for one person, another one for someone. It seems a little hit or miss! Meanwhile, it's our kids who are suffering. We haven't bothered trying anything else for tics, but it they were to get really bad again, we would be getting back to our Dr. to request something else.

Comment

Med's another website

Sheena:

I found another TS website in my searches. It is based in the USA but the information on the drugs that are taken for TS and other conditions is great. A number of the med's used in Canada are listed on that site.

Tourettes disorder.com is the reference for my bookmark.

Hope this information may be of some help. You can always push your Doctor to provide information on the drug or ask the pharamacy. They have print outs with sound information.

Best of Luck,
      PJK

Comment

Risperdal and other meds

My son was put on Risperdal as sort of a last hope...he had tried clonidine, Haldol, Luvox, Zoloft, and others with no improvement (it was mostly for anxiety, depression, aggressive behaviour, rage, and behaviour problems, rather than tics) and it really helped! He was about 15 or so at the time, and had been oppositional and defiant for a couple of years, to the point that we feared for his (and our) safety. He was on it for only a week or so before we noticed a great improvement in his surly attitude, his physical aggression, and his other behaviour problems. I talked with him about it, and he said that he felt better! He was on it until he was about 18, as well as having numerous other supports, and I think it kept us all sane. I think it may have gradually lost some of its effectiveness after the first year or so, but it got us through those teen years and kept him out of jail.

Comment

Working...
        X