Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Abilify

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abilify

Has anyone used abilify for tics? If so was it effective?

Re: Abilify

Thanks so much for your quick response my son is having little success with respirdal so we are thinking of switching to abilify.

Comment

It's certainly worth talking to your doctor about. Good luck.

Comment

When my son is being weaned off respridone will the doctor have him start abilify while he is still on respridone? Is that the usual protical?

Comment

That's up to your doctor but in most cases with medications in the same family as one medication is tapered down the new one is introduced at a low dose and tapered up.

Comment

So does that mean he will have less withdrawal symptoms than if he weaned off respridone without the abilify?

---------- Post Merged at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Also since respridone and abilify are in the same family. Shouldn't we try a different class of meds? Since respridone did not work so well

Comment

Originally posted by Crillmom View Post
              So does that mean he will have less withdrawal symptoms than if he weaned off respridone without the abilify?
              That's quite possible.

Originally posted by Crillmom View Post
              Also since respridone and abilify are in the same family. Shouldn't we try a different class of meds? Since respridone did not work so well
              No. Same family but different drugs. No real way of telling until he tries Abilify but I've seen people have side effects with one and no side effects at all with the other.

Comment

Hello, My daughter is 15 and was diagnosed with Tourettes. She has been on Ablify for about 2 years now. Unless she is having a very stressfull day her tics have disappeared. Also her vocal tics have subsided. This medication has worked for her as all the others did not. Only problem with the Ablify is that it has caused her to gain a lot of weight even with diet and exercise. All I know is that she is a different person on this medication and has been able to have a bit of a social life.

Comment

Thanks Maria for your response. My son has been on respridone for 6 months It hasn't been consistent with helping his tics. Every time we bump it up it works for 3 weeks and then needs to be bumped up again. And the tics have never really gone away. So I think when he comes home for break from college we will switch.

Comment

Working...
                  X