Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Nicotine for Tourette?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicotine for Tourette?

Studies have been done showing that there might be a link between nicotine and beneficial effects on movement disorders, said C.J. Malanga, professor of neurology in the school of medicine at UNC.

?There is some reason to believe, and this is based in large part on animal experiments, that nicotine may help correct the neurotransmitter imbalance that occurs in the brains of animals that have behaviors which we tend to use to model movement disorders,? he said.

Malanga also said it appears nicotine and caffeine are useful as protective measures against Parkinson?s disease, another movement disorder. However, Malanga stressed that there is no known relationship between Tourette?s and Parkinson?s.

source: Daily Tarheel
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Nicotine for Tourette?

Steve:

I find that very interesting but on the same note, he is the largest tobacco state besides SC.

UNC does some interesting research, but UNCC has a great medical program and is closer to the research triangle. I wonder if they have done anything recently on TS.

I wonder if anyone in Duke has done research on TS too.

I'm going to do some surfing.
    PJK

Comment

Nicotine for Tourette?

This is just me, but I actually think I would rather just deal with my TS than to start smoking or doing a nicotine patch. But thats just me, lol. :D
      The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

Nicotine for Tourette?

Adam,

I fully agree with you, however I thought the article might be of interest.
        Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
        If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
        Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Nicotine for Tourette?

Oh, I agree. And I always think that every person is different and so every person needs their own theropy for TS, I just personally dont want to go to an extreme. So Is there any idea of there being something in the nicotine that does this or not? It always seems like they will find that (for example) apple juice helps "this" but its actually something more basic in the apple juice that helps with a disorder. But yea I dont really want to take nictine for my TS but again, thats just me.
          The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

Nicotine for Tourette?

Wow we got prescription drugs, anti-psychotics like resperidol, botox, and now tobacco cigarettes for ts-ocd. Does anyone wanna talk about some things that are healthy and help ts+ like omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, carnitine, lecithin, blue green algaes, herbal teas, healthy eating and living, meditation, cognitive behavoral tharapy, etc.

Anyone care to add anything they've noticed or read about that is healthy and helpful to us with ts-ocd :?: :roll:

Comment

Nicotine for Tourette?

Scott:

Do you know anything about herbal teas for TS?

I am introducing Yoga to my son. He still thinks it is silly, but it seems to help him center himself for the day and we do it together.

The bike is in the garage for now the snow is beginning to fall. I am interested in finding out how ice skating turns out this winter.

He enjoys snowboarding and I have introduced him to a club close by.
              Anything that gives him freedom and a breeze in his hair seems to calm him down and balance him out. Funny how speed can slow a person down..
              PJK

Comment

Working...
              X