Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Melatonin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melatonin

Hi There, I'm wondering how much Melatonin your kids take. My son is 7 and we currently give him 3 mg of fast acting and 2 mg of slow release. We just finished trying him on Adderall which really messed with his sleep and it didn't end up working for him. We are starting on vycance right away and I'm worried about sleep. I'm wondering what dosage would still be ok? The pharmacists I've talked to have said that there is no set amount...and we don't meet with our dr until Early December.

Re: Melatonin

For anyone not familiar with Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) , it is a medication for children diagnosed with ADHD.

One of the possible side effects with this class of medications can be difficulty with sleep, so this should certainly be reported to the doctor. Even though the follow up appointment is in December, is is possible to telephone with a report of possible side effects to ask the doctor's opinion on how to proceed?

I take melatonin nightly for sleep. Originally I began taking it to see if the number of migraine episodes I experienced might be reduced, but I did not notice a significant decrease in migraine episodes with melatonin...however I do fall asleep quicker most nights taking 3 mg (adult dose) as I get into bed.

From what I have learned about melatonin, timing is everything, and more is not necessarily better, even though stores try to sell higher "maximum" doses.

This Mayo Clinic article on melatonin dosing should provide you with the information you're looking for.

You may be interested in the following with regard to melatonin:

Taking Melatonin Correctly for Night Owls

Melatonin side effects: What are the risks?

OTC Supplement May Aid in Migraine Prevention: Study

According to the Drugs.com interaction checker, there do not appear to be any reported drug interaction between Vyvance and melatonin, however there is a caution to avoid alcohol with Vyvance and to avoid caffeine when taking melatonin.

Drug interactions for the respective compounds with other medications can be found in the following links:

Melatonin drug interactions

Vyvance interactions
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Working...
    X