Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Diagnoses for Adult in BC?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Diagnoses for Adult in BC?

    My husband has been looking at getting assessed for TS and in BC his MD has him on a wait list to see a neurologist (6 month wait list) for assessment and diagnosis. While the Anxiety Counsellor our son is seeing says for diagnosis of TS in BC it's a psychiatrist who does it. Trying to figure out who the authority is on it and if you guys can lead me to how to find out in BC? Many thanks!

  • #2
    Re: Diagnoses for Adult in BC?


    There is no a dedicated or predictable medical specialty that can be said is always competent to diagnose Tourette Syndrome.

    Medical training doesn't dedicate a lot of time to Tourette and tic disorders, so the interest usually comes from the individual practitioner.

    There are, however specialties that are more likely to have some training and clinical experience dealing with Tourette, and those are usually neurology and psychiatry, although individual pediatricians, and general practitioners could be competent, depending on their clinical interests. More and more common are psychologists, especially those interested in behavioural therapy (CBT) who can also be good resources.

    In order to be competent in diagnosing Tourette Syndrome, the practitioner needs to have had a significant number of patients that have been seen and the practitioner should be up to date on understanding the associated disorders commonly seen with Tourette tics disorders to be able to form an accurate diagnosis along with t meaningful treatment plan, if and when needed.

    The choice of a consultant should be based on reputation rather than chosen specialty, so ask questions about the individual's training, clinical interests and clinical experience in dealing with tic and movement disorders, especially Tourette Syndrome and associated disorders.

    Have you been in contact with either the Vancouver Chapter or Victoria Chapter of Tourette Canada for guidance toward known local resources?

    Victoria Chapter
    1-800-361-3120 63

    Greater Vancouver Resource Unit
    1-800-361-3120 64

    Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

    Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum


    • #3
      Re: Diagnoses for Adult in BC?

      Many thanks Steve, this is exactly the info I needed!! You're awesome!