Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Tourettes with Explosive Behaviour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourettes with Explosive Behaviour

my boy, his 17 years old now. he diagnosed with tourettes since the last 9 years. Is the anyone out there that a teenage boy has tourettes with explosive behavior and melt down anger towards parents only everyday.

Re: Tourettes with Explosive Behaviour

People with Tourette Syndrome are often diagnosed with associated (comorbid) disorders that can include Oppositional Defiant Disorder, ADHD, OCD, mood and anxiety disorders and Sensory Processing Disorder. Symptoms of ADHD and ODD, even SPD can cause meltdowns and rage reactions.

Please look through the Forum section on Associated Disorders, especially the sections on ODD, Anger, ADHD and Sensory Issues

Sometimes the associated disorders tend to merge with one another, and require the assistance of a therapist to sort them out in order to provide some treatment strategies to manage symptoms.

Is your son receiving any form of treatment or therapy for any of his symptoms at the present time?
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Hi Steve,
      Is there any Psychologist or Therapy in Langley or Surrey or Vancouver BC that can help my son? he is 18 year old. He has tourettes and anger behavior.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by jameshooi View Post
        Hi Steve,
        Is there any Psychologist or Therapy in Langley or Surrey or Vancouver BC that can help my son? he is 18 year old. He has tourettes and anger behavior.

Thank you.
        Please see my PM to you.
        Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
        If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
        Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Hey, James, fellow parent of boy with Tourette's here. We deal with some of that too, but fortunately for now at least it's not every day. It sounds like you are in a very tough spot.

I have, so far, had to call the police once. I realize it may happen again at some point.

I have a couple of ideas to share -- of course I have no idea if you've tried these and if any of them fit your situation.

- Call a Crisis Hotline (sometimes they are called "suicide prevention" but in general I believe one does not need to be in imminent danger of suicide to be able to use these phone services)

- Visit the emergency room at the hospital

- See your son's primary medical provider

- See your own primary medical provider

- Even if there's no therapist in your area with an expertise in Tourette, sometimes one can find a general therapist who is open to learning about Tourette.

At our house, I can say that my son takes some medications that are helpful; and my spouse and I also take some medications that help us cope!

Comment

My 15yr old son does! I keep waiting for him to get control of his anger but to no avail. He does get bullied at school and has it tough but it really wears on me that I usually get the brunt of his anger/frustration.

Comment

I think seeking help for your son is well worth looking into.

It might also be helpful to have his medications re-evaluated. Some SSRI or SNRI medications can, in a small number of patients, actually increase feelings of anger and anger outbursts. Can you tell us what medication(s) your son is currently taking? And can you be sure he is actually taking them as prescribed?

Another thing that is often overlooked is that some of the behaviors you describe, while they are often indicative of mental health indications, are not uncommon in teenage boys (or girls for that matter) even without a mental health condition. Adolescence is a tumultuous time for many teens (and their parents!). They are undergoing large changes in physiology, neurophysiology, hormones, social awareness and social adjustment, etc., etc., and especially in young males the surface reaction is often anger regardless of what their feelings may be beneath the surface.

Separating what is "normal adolescent behavior" from behavior that is attributable to an underlying mental health condition os issue can be tricky at that age.

Here are some articles I wrote a few years back that might give you some perspective:

Comment

Working...
              X