Future

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future

How do other parents deal with the worrying about the future?
    Pretty broad question but it takes up a lot of my energy.

Re: Future

Originally posted by Dagimhiwot View Post
    I think every parent worries about the future of their children. But excessive worrying as you seem to be describing is not healthy.

But the great news is many outgrow TS by adulthood and the diagnosis and treatment options available today are getting better all the time so the options although not reassuring completely are better than what us older folks had.

As for your worrying... there are tools; techniques, therapy and help to learn to manage and deal with the stress involved and to let go of or worries a bit or a lot. If not it will eat at you like a cancer and it is easily picked up by your child/children etc.. and creates extra stress for them as they start to worry about you worrying about them... vicious circle.

I'm sure one of the experts around here will weigh in and comment, correct or scold me
    Gary
    "If at first you don't succeed....
    CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

Thank you Gary. I'm working on mindfulness and its been somewhat helpful. There are ver few supports in my community so just reaching out and hearing from others is reassuring.

Comment

Thank you Gary. I'm working on mindfulness and its been somewhat helpful. There are ver few supports in my community so just reaching out and hearing from others is reassuring.
        You're welcome, I only wish I could offer more help. It's a great that you have acknowledged the issue and are working on it. That's probably the biggest, and hardest step you could take!

When I was raising my kids I justified excessive worrying with "it's my job to worry and protect my family" that led to being a controlling dictator and well, that didn't turn out great. So my best advice is don't do like I did!

Hopefully others will have be able to offer some better coping strategies and experiences.

Regards,
        Gary
        Gary
        "If at first you don't succeed....
        CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

Good question!

Is the concern in the context of the future of a child diagnosed with Tourette, and how the child might cope in the future or is the concern related to other aspects of your child's development?

You may be interested in this article about parents worrying about a child with an Autism diagnosis: Effect on parents: worrying about the future | Topics, Parents of children on the Autism Spectrum, Autism, People's Experiences | healthtalk.org

as well as:

Worried Sick About Your Childs Future? How to Stop the Anxiety
          Steve
          TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

What a great question. I'll start by saying, me too, it takes up a lot of my energy too. I'll share the things that help me in particular:

- I got some medications for myself from my doctor. Now, if I get a panic attack in the middle of the night, I have something I can take for that (quarter tablet of Xanax). And if I've been up for awhile helping my son (14) deal with the insomnia he sometimes gets, and then I have trouble getting back to sleep, I have something I can take for that (5 mg of Zaleplon -- very short half life, so I can still get up a couple hours later and be alert).

- I have a few positive TS role models that help me project into the future and imagine a positive image for my son when he's older: Jamie Grace, Tim Howard, and an unnamed college student: Tourettes College Presentation - YouTube

Comment

Working...
            X