Satisfying Fidgets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satisfying Fidgets

A fun web page where ordinary people like you and me have uploaded short videos, photographs and descriptions of their favorite fidget items, the little doohickies that help them concentrate, or get through the day. Often it's homemade, or a found object. Lots of fun ideas there.

Fidget Widgets

Re: Satisfying Fidgets

Hey! we have TS here!
    Who needs fidget toys we got tics to make people get all fidgety... that makes them folks our fidget widgets... that's more fun hehe

Yes I know you might not find it funny but I bet your son would

Oh I feel the virtual slaps coming LOL

OK, I've had enough work and fun for tonight, I posted the lyrics and a had a good laugh. I outta here!
    Gary
    "If at first you don't succeed....
    CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

I've had a running battle with my son's school for the past six years about fidget items. He "misbehaves" (in their view); then they persecute him for it (e.g. scold in the classroom, take to the hall and scold him there, have him phone home to confess his sin, send him to sit in the hall to do his worksheets sitting on the floor, send to the office to do his worksheets sitting on the rug, etc.). Starting in 3rd grade, I requested that they give him some fidget items to help prevent the "misbehavior." (Which is: contributing to discussions without raising his hand and waiting to be called on; yakking with neighbors; shouting to classmates from across the room; standing up and walking around the classroom; echolalia; etc.) There have been two fidget items provided over the years and in both cases a classmate broke them accidentally. Now the school has removed "provide fidget items" entirely from his educational plan.

Recently he attended his special ed meeting (which was more battling). It's hard for him to sit for long periods. But I was glad he was there, because he saw for himself the manipulations and lies. Also, he spoke up for himself quite a bit, which helps me get my points across, and which helps him become more active and less passive.

I was afraid he would be constantly stepping out and then stepping back into the room, which would have made it hard for him to be actively involved, since he would be constantly out of touch with what was being discussed. What helped him get through the meeting without having to step out frequently was a roll of scotch tape. He used it to make a ball. When he finished the roll, I pulled a few fidget items out of a basket that the school had provided and set them where he could reach them easily. Each one lasted about five seconds. Shortly after that, there was a bathroom break, and I went and asked a secretary for another roll of tape. My son was relieved and delighted. Tape to the rescue! And he made it through the second half of the meeting.

I have looked online from time to time to try to find fidget items in catalogs, that I thought might be helpful for him -- and to prevent him from chewing off the erasers from every pencil in the house. I've bought some of them over the years. None of the ones I've bought have been at all interesting for him (except the fidget spinner, which frankly he mainly plays with by taking them apart).

What I find interesting about the website I shared is that people post the true objects they find effective in practice (as opposed to some manufacturing firm's idea about what a fidget item ought to look like). And often they are found objects -- as opposed to planned ones.
      Last edited by aparente001; August 12, 2017, 12:25 AM.

Comment

That's quite the story, scotch tape balls can get expensive though... JK

All joking aside, I hope you didn't take my silliness seriously... it was just too hard to resist and we both know the site needs a little posting and remember I have TS+ even at 54 I still misbehave.

I am amazed and impressed by the "mama bear factor" (I'm sure you know what I mean) fighting relentlessly for your children. I wish my mom was like that growing up.
        Gary
        CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

Humor is good.

Advocacy is good too but Mama Bear and Papa Bear are exhausted from fighting with the school.

You're right about scotch tape. For the IEP meeting we had to pull out all the stops.

Comment

Originally posted by aparente001 View Post
            Humor is good.

Advocacy is good too but Mama Bear and Papa Bear are exhausted from fighting with the school.

You're right about scotch tape. For the IEP meeting we had to pull out all the stops.
            I hear you, sometimes you have to do what it takes.

Fighting schools and school boards is hard and mentally exhausting (been there, done that, you feel like you're David fighting Goliath and his whole freaking family) but the rewards will come "Some Day" (pun intended ). I know that doesn't bring comfort for the short term. As the saying goes... Best things in life are worth fighting for!

Keep strong, and trust me, one day you'll turn around he'll be all grown up and you'll actually say: "My where did the years go? He grew up so fast" My oldest will be 36 end of Sept. Seems like yesterday I was chasing him around the house.
            Gary
            CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

Working...
            X