Money & Employment With Tourette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money & Employment With Tourette

HI AGAIN so I have to say I havent had time to read all of the posts yet so im not sure if you guys have discussed some of the things I need TO ask but here we go.
    I have only just began to explore TS and my fellow sufferers. Im now 36
    but have only met another in person for a very breif moment.
    Anyway to put it in a nice way my life so far has been a struggle
    Employment! what a joke in what ever aspect or role I have chosen it always become the same job (CLOWN JESTER JOKER) being the butt of the jokes can only last for so long and eventually I have to leave.
    So I have been thinking may be the curse that has kept me poor can be the same thing that can make me rich. has any one in this forum made any money from it through wrighting tv radio etc
    or Am I just shallow
    life is getting better

Anyway to put it in a nice way my life so far has been a struggle
    Employment! what a joke in what ever aspect or role I have chosen it always become the same job (CLOWN JESTER JOKER) being the butt of the jokes can only last for so long and eventually I have to leave.
    Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

Ridicule of people with special needs from peer groups, co-workers and for young people...fellow students, is usually due to lack of understanding of the person's condition combined with their insecurities about issues they have difficulty understanding.

Their defense mechanism is to ridicule what they don't understand rather than make the effort to gain an understanding.

These situations are often best handled in a pro active method, as soon as one arrives in the new environment. By speaking to the new co workers one on one, when first meeting, and explaining your disorder, and perhaps having available some literature explaining Tourette can help.

Here's one that might be useful

Have you ever gone to the Human Resources Department of your employer to report the abuse?

In some jurisdictions, there are specific laws in force to protect the working environment of people with disabilities..have you investigated the availability of that resource in your area?

Is there a local support organization for Tourette Syndrome?
    Steve
    TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Hi Shaky!

I'm not sure what you mean by writing for TV or radio.. or what you mean by thinking you may be shallow.. ????

As far as employment goes, I'm wondering if you'd find it helpful to see a counselor. While I'm not trying to 'blame the victim', I'm wondering if you sought help from a counselor in learning how to diffuse some of these situations, it might lessen your struggle. Maybe it's not so much the TS that makes them target you, but your reaction to their teasing? Bullies and jerks seem to have a 6th sense, and can often tell how to push other people's buttons. Maybe with someone's help, through role-playing or whatever, you can learn how to 'hide those buttons'.

And I'm wondering, I can't tell for sure by your wording or from such a short post, but if you're taking on the role of clown/jester/joker, maybe they don't realize the teasing is bothering you?? maybe they're misunderstanding and thinking you're having fun with it??

Like I said, you didn't post much so please forgive me if I misunderstood or if I'm simply way off course with my answer... please post more and hopefully we can help you get this sorted and on your way to finding a job you like and enjoy.

:D

Comment

Working...
      X