Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Lawyer with Tourette's ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawyer with Tourette's ??

Home run hitting World Series champion baseball player
    Professional basketball player
    Celebrated surgeon
    Rock and roll musician
    Award winning public school teacher

=====================================

These are AWESOME TS+ role models, and I'm glad they are willing to stand up and be counted. But, at the moment, here are some things I think we need to see a little more of:

- A successful attorney who can hold his own with the Supreme Court
    (US high court) who has Tourette's

- A respected Congressman or Senator who has Tourette's

- A federal judge who has Tourette's

- A corporate CEO who has Tourette's

- A national news anchor with Tourette's

- An astronaut with Tourette's

I think you see where this is going.

(I apologize for the Ameri-centric stuff, but I am not familiar enough with the Canadian equivalents to speak intelligibly. I know you can translate for me.)
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

I've (briefly) met a lawyer with Tourette's here in Canada.

Also, An Anthropologist on Mars by Oliver Sacks describes several people with similar disorders who haven't let them stand in their way. One of such stories is that of a surgeon with TS.

And I am a corporate CEO with Tourette's -- although my corporation only consists of two people.
    Colin

Comment

It just goes to show that everyone can be what they want with TS.

My son has TS but that does not stop him from enjoying learning or slow his math or spelling skills.
      A brighter future is ahead for our children. It is reassuring to see what others have done.

Thank you!
      PJK

Comment

The surgeon you mention is Doctor Mort Doran (sp?). I have met him on a couple of occasions (now that I think about it, I've met Oliver Sacks, too) and he is a fabulous example of what a Touretter can do 'anyway'.

But really I am talking about people who can make a direct impact on policy. We have the knowledge, the passion, and the tools to educate. Now what? The next "Dragon" is the rules - laws, policies, hiring practices, college admissions, the courts, the cops, etc.

Comment

Professional basketball player
          Just curious as to who this basketball player is. Or where you just giving general examples? Wondering only because I am a basketball player and would love to know who this one with TS+ is. Thanks!
          Steph
          ~be a miracle~

Comment

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf of the Denver Nuggets

Comment

I'm almost a lawyer - does that count?

Comment

What would the judge say?

Comment

Darin,

I'm a Chartered Accountant (to Americanize that for you - CPA).

While I don't have the impact of a Supreme Court Lawyer to affect policy, I have assisted with medical claims and whether TS+ qualifies for the "Disability Tax Credit" for income Tax. (Please note - as a person with TS, I by no means consider myself disabled, but there is a provision that if severe enough, the tax credit is available). I would like to see this open up to more people though in the future - any tax dollar in a persons pocket is better than in the Governments.

Comment

How about, "50% of your tax break goes to TSFC." Fund raising is where I belong. Among other places. <gag goes back over mouth>

Comment

Even if WE know that there are people out there with TS we still have to find a way to inform the genral public about what TS is and show them that even these "Famous" people are affected by it. and eventually with more awareness more "famous" people will admit that they have the disorder. :idea:

Comment

Tic Boy,

Welcome to the TSFC Forum and thanks for joining in the discussion. Raising awareness of Tourette as well as other so called mental illness disorders will eventually remove the stigma from "coming out".

Young people have the advantage of raised awareness today, but not long ago when not many people knew about Tourette kids were subjected to many forms of psychological abuse and embarrasment due to their Tourette expressions.

Teachers would punish kids for disrupting the class, other kids would mimic the tics and parents would punish kids for being disruptive. As a result, many of these kids stayed out of view due to their lack of confidence.

So being a young person with Tourette today places a that person at a great advantage in being able to deal with their disorder in a more understanding society.
                        Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
                        If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
                        Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Tic Boy:

Welcome to the TSFC forum. It is wonderful to see a student with such in sight on TS and so many good ideas and experience too.

You are a great addition to the forum I look forward to your many postings to come. :D

I hope you check out the youth forum and give the moderators some feed back to make it even better.

Take care
                          PJK

Comment

Okay, I have to chime in here, again. Heh.

Tic Boy, I LOVE your signature! Poetry. Can we get Nike on the phone? I get weird after this line, but I am really serious here. I like the sharp, quick way that "Just Tic!" comes across - no fat in that statement. Ask around, I know fat.

==========

I got it: Tic Jordan. Oh, wait, too late for that. How about Charles Barckley as an OCD / storms poster child? Oh, too late for that, too. Dennis Rodman? Durn.

Okay, I got it: Lebron James (spell?) as a spokesperson. All right, I'm feeling old here.

And, Steve, I just love it when you get all touchy-feely and stuff. It is not often, or ever, that I get to the end of a sentence containing the term "psychological abuse" with a warm feeling and a smile.

Okay, yes, I'm being an intellectual tushy. But hey, if not on a TS forum, where?

Comment

Originally posted by tourettetiger
                              Okay, yes, I'm being an intellectual tushy. But hey, if not on a TS forum, where?
                              Thank you for the redefinition of the term "psychological abuse", Darin. :P

Anyways, I'm not sure we should give Rodman any excuses.
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X