Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Hyper Sensitivity and Tourette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper Sensitivity and Tourette

If you have Tourette Syndrome, do you find that you are more sensitive to certain stimuli than others who do not have the disorder?

Though it's true TV commercials are loud and obtrusive, but do you find the noise of a TV commercial to be overwhelming, or the odor of burnt toast or the brightness of the sun?

In other words do your find that your sensory sensitivity becomes overloaded?
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Of course I have severe sensory issues, but I wouldn't be able to tell you whether it's because of AS or TS, or both.

I have to have the coating on my lenses that makes them turn dark as soon as I step outside, even if the sun isn't shining, because the brightness would give me a headache otherwise. I hate bright lights in the house, too, and prefer lamps that cast soft light.

I can't stand noise, either. Some days are better than others. If I'm stressed already my sensory issues will be worse.

Neon colours are torture for me to look at. I stopped attending chat rooms, because some people insist on using very bright colours, which will give me a migraine if I look at them for too long. And many people are so inconsiderate, that they refuse to change the colour, even if I ask politely and explain why.
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Comment

the sun hurts my eyes and I can't stand to be outside without sunglasses... but I don't know that that's due to TS.. I was once told by an optomitrist that people with blue eyes have a harder time because more light is reflected into the eye than for someone with brown eyes where the darker color doesn't reflect as much light. And I have really light colored eyes.. sometimes they look more grey than blue.

As far as sound, it doesn't bother me unless I have to talk to someone.. otherwise I like my music loud! :D

Comment

i suffer terrible migraine and hAe done since a young teen
        i have to wear sunglasses on bright days and a hat if it is really hot
        i also cant standloud music,it bothers me,i cant concentrate,although i do like heavy rock but only when i feel up to it,when i am ready for it, if someone else was to play loud music i hate it,
        i also cant stand the flash photography in news clips or strobes
        or when the camera spins round like in some films,makes me feel sick and very disorientated
        i also dont like very bright colours on large areas like walls,my mum has her sitting room painted out in bright orange with lime green borders heaters and curtains and i hate that room,now she has done her kitchen out in bright pink,yuk ! my poor brother,he is autistic,lordy knows what he thinks of it,he cant tell us
        jo

Comment

While people with migraine are known to be sensitive to light, odor and noise..particularly when experiencing a migraine episode, there is a suggestion that some people with Tourette also experience hyper sensitivity as well.

Is there a relationship between the sensitivity experienced with migraine and that of Tourette?

How many people with Tourette also report experiencing migraine?

Another stimulus appears to be heat in some people.

Thermal sensitivity in Tourette syndrome is being studied in various centers as well.

Does increased heat increase your tic activity?
          Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
          If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
          Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Yes, Steve, I also get migraines. I used to get a lot more of them before I knew that I am intolerant to tomatoes, which triggered terrible migraines. Now I only get them when I allow myself to get overtired, or when I have too much stress.

I am very sensitive to heat and humidity, and yes, it increases my tics.

Like midnight, I also get sick and disoriented when I see spinning things on tv (or anywhere else, for that matter). I also get very motion sick (if it moves, it makes me sick, car, plane, boat, train, rides at the fair, etc.).
            German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Comment

i too suffer from motion sickness,as a kid it would ruin the day out for me as i wouldnt be able to eat for the whole day and was always very ill on the way there and the way back,i still get motion sickness but am ok if i sit in the front of a vehicle with a window open as stuffy air also makes me ill,i always need fresh air even if it is freezing :roll: much to my husbands dismay :D
              i remember coming back from a holiday abroad 2 years ago,the plane couldnt land back here as the weather was so rough,rain and winds,so had to keep swooping and pulling back up again,flying in a cricle and trying to land again then finally had to be diverted to another airport 100 miles away ! i was sick as a dog and so was my son who was only 3 at the time,he also suffers with motion sickness
              i find that sea bands are good which uses pressure points on the inside of the wrist,we both have them now
              jo

Comment

Im unsure on heat. I do get migraines but there is no connection I guess to when or where for me. I obviously can have outburst tics due to high amounts of caffine or even just certain activities but nothing extreme I guess.
                The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight
                  i too suffer from motion sickness,as a kid it would ruin the day out for me as i wouldnt be able to eat for the whole day and was always very ill on the way there and the way back,i still get motion sickness but am ok if i sit in the front of a vehicle with a window open as stuffy air also makes me ill,i always need fresh air even if it is freezing :roll: much to my husbands dismay :D
                  i remember coming back from a holiday abroad 2 years ago,the plane couldnt land back here as the weather was so rough,rain and winds,so had to keep swooping and pulling back up again,flying in a cricle and trying to land again then finally had to be diverted to another airport 100 miles away ! i was sick as a dog and so was my son who was only 3 at the time,he also suffers with motion sickness
                  i find that sea bands are good which uses pressure points on the inside of the wrist,we both have them now
                  I have sea bands as well, which makes flying more bearable (and long car rides as well). They aren't perfect, but Gravol totally knocks me out, so I don't like using it.

I also need fresh air, even when it's freezing. It's a constant struggle with my husband, he'll close the windows, and I'll open them again.

Stuffy air makes me sick, too. Usually I'm okay on rides three hours or less when sitting in the front (even friends let me sit in the front, with spouses ending up in the back, which makes me feel guilty). But sometimes I get motion sick even when driving myself! That happened the last two times when driving to Ottawa to visit my daughter (a six hour drive). I forgot I have the sea bands and didn't wear them. I need to find them!

Comment

Were do you find "sea bands". Motion sickness is always an issue here, though my son is not effected.

He can read in the back seat like my daughter with no problems.

Light is an issue. His room is dark when he wakes up and it makes him feel better.
                    Light or the rising sun gets him out of bed and always in a bad mood.

He does however, enjoy the outdoors and activities with sunglasses seem to go well.

He suffers from headaches too, but we always thought it was his sleep pattern and or med's that caused the problem.
                    PJK

Comment

PJK, I bought my sea bands in the pharmacy (Shopper's Drugmart in my case), they have them for adults and children. When I bought mine about four years ago they were almost $20.00, I don't know what they are now. Of course, that's way overpriced for little knitted wrist bands with pressure things attached (they go on pressure points, which is explained in the instructions). But since buying Gravol will in the end cost a lot more, with side effects to boot, it's worth it.

Have you considered that your son's headaches could be caused by food allergies or sensitivities? That was the case for two of my daughters and me. One of them would get severe migraines as well, and since she was tested and stopped eating certain foods (different from the ones that bother me), she has been fine.

Comment

Hi Steve

MY son and I both have sensitivities.

I can't stand the sound of a whistle, feedback from live bands, the microwave. Anything with a higher pitch. It makes me extremely irritiable sometimes. High pitch sounds bother my son too. If he hears a shop vac, he screams.

As for the heat. my son's symptoms increase severly. I was starting to wonder if It was the heat causing this. Summer is very difficult for him. I am not to bad but I do find that I am more affected in the heat.

I have a very sensitive sense of smell as well. flickering, camera flashes, checkered floors. We are acomplex bunch huh. LOL :lol:

have a good one
                        Tammy

Comment

Re: Hyper Sensitivity and Tourette

Holy light bulb, Batman.

Sorry to revive a two-year old thread, but I'm very much like this too. I had no idea that it could potentially be TS-related, but there you go.

I have ultra-sensitive hearing. Someone could be talking to me right in front of me, and someone talking a good 25 feet away can drown them out. Makes for a lot of asking people to repeat themselves.

It's funny, people think I have hearing loss, but the reality is, I hear too well. Haha.

Comment

I have always noticed what appeared to be super sensitive hearing in my son. While playing outside as a small child he would always hear airplanes coming long before we would.

Even now sometimes when we are talking quietly and he is in another room seemingly engrossed in something he may yell out a comment regarding our conversation which always astounds me as I had no idea he could hear us!

Comment

Timo, my seven year old who has TS, is very sensative to fabrics, loud noises, bright light, and temperatuur.
                              When he was in preschool I remember that they did a fire drill and the wistle that the teacher used completly freaked him out.

He seems to get better now with noises, and taking him to the movie theatre is now ok!

Can they grow out of it? I wonder?

Elisabeth

Comment

Working...
                              X