Books on TS and/or OCD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books on TS and/or OCD

Does anyone know of any books that are sort of self-help for dealing with TS and/or OCD and how to cope/improve on it? Anything about supressing your tics, or diminishing OCD tendencies, etc. I know that in another thread there was a book mentioned about how to help with your child's OCD, but I am looking for any books that are for yourself, or even possibly directed at teens.

I am very interested in reading into these things because I find that a lot of time reading books can help. I am hoping for lots of book ideas because a lot of times certain books aren't available to me. So please everyone, tell me of any books you have heard of about TS or OCD, even if you think it might not be what I am looking for. Thanks so much!
    Steph
    ~be a miracle~

Books on TS and/or OCD

Hi Steph. When we were at the tourettes clinic at Toronto Western, Dr Sandor gave us this list of books to read about TS and OCD, as that was the diagnosis for my son.

"A Mind of its Own"(Tourette's Syndrome:A Story and a Guide) by Ruth Bruun and Betel Bruun-1994

"Children with Tourette Syndrome:A Parents' Guide by Tracy Haerle (A practical manual for parents)

"Brain Lock" by Jeffrey Schwartz 1996 (Behavioral intervention for OCD;self-administered)

"Understanding Tourette Syndrome-A Handbook for Educators" published by Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada(www.tourette.ca, tel. 416-861-8398, 1-800-361-3120

"Freeing Your Child From Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder" by Tamar Chansky, 2000 (How Parents Can Help Their Child With OCD Symptoms)

There were 12 books in all by the Dr just circled these 5 for me to read.
    Hope this helps. If you want the names of the rest of the books, let me know and I will bring it up next time. Hope this helps.

Rose

Comment

Books on TS and/or OCD

Thanks for sharing Rose. This is a solid list of resources.

Perhaps we could start a Book Club ie a quick review of books read and the highlights as to why others should read it. What do you think??
      Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Books on TS and/or OCD

Steph,

Your question is very interesting and it will be informative to learn about the books people have found to be informative and helpful.

To see what might be available, I entered the word "Tourette" as a search word on Amazon.

I got over 200 pages of listings of books discussing Tourette Syndrome..
        Steve
        TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Books on TS and/or OCD

Tormenting Thoughts and Secret Rituals : The Hidden Epidemic of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder by Ian Osborn is pretty good. Better as an adult read for someone looking to really understand the disorder.
          Colin

Comment

Books on TS and/or OCD

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I will try to read as many as I can. Unfortunately our local libraries are very limited in books concerning TS and OCD, but I did manage to find two today that seem to have potential so we'll see how they turn out.

Please keep the suggestions coming and thanks again!
            Steph
            ~be a miracle~

Comment

Books on TS and/or OCD

Steph,

When you've read the books, would you post your review of the book so other members can decide of the book would be of interest to them?

Thanks!
              Steve
              TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Books on TS and/or OCD

I will of course post my thoughts on the books that I am reading. I might not get to them for a little while because of school work and books for classes, but I will definitely post about them when I am done!
                Steph
                ~be a miracle~

Comment

Working...
                X