Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A stereotype of Tourette

This is a good article that deals with Taking Charge of Tourette's

How often do we get that same comment, " but you don't swear, you can't have Tourette" ?
    Janet

TSFC Homepage

A stereotype of Tourette

That was the comment from my primary physician in 1993 (not that long ago) when I was trying to get a diagnosis for my unusual behaviours. We've still got a lot of educating to do!

Comment

A stereotype of Tourette

How often do physicians look for this one symptom to make a diagnosis? I hope that most have moved past this. My experience has been that I have seen more ignorance among the general public than anywhere else. Has the work done by the TSFC and it's volunteers made a difference or impacted the awareness in your city? Locally we still have people who know little or nothing about TS but for the most part the schools are becoming more and more aware.

I would love to hear from others on whether or not this stereotype is still prevalent in your community.
      Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

A stereotype of Tourette

I think that there is still a great deal of education that is needed.

The ped that we saw completely ignored my sons and my husband's tics! I pointed out to her that they were both doing their tics and she changed the subject.

When I told one of my brothers about my son he said I know that disease that is the swearing one. :roll:

For education in my community I am hoping that the TSFC can have a small package that we could pass out to physicians. I am going to ask about having a bulletin board in the hospital especially in a busy area where I could put up some information. There is a walk here in September for TS that we plan on going to and I am going to try to get as many nursing students to go as possible.

Even though I am not a volunteer I plan on doing as much as I can. Steph

Comment

A stereotype of Tourette

For education in my community I am hoping that the TSFC can have a small package that we could pass out to physicians. I am going to ask about having a bulletin board in the hospital especially in a busy area where I could put up some information. There is a walk here in September for TS that we plan on going to and I am going to try to get as many nursing students to go as possible.
          Hi Steph

I have heard the annual walk led by Sheila has been a success in the past. I think she will really enjoy knowing that you want to help with it and will potentially bring more walkers and exposure to the event.

September is TS awareness month so if you could get permission to take over part of the hospital bulletin board it would be great. If set up for end of August you could help promote the walk and from a national level the conference in Alberta... might draw the attention of physicians with a special interest in TS. Plus it would get people taking about it. I have done this in our local children's hospital in the child development dept. The TSFC has the QandA's and I can supply you with lots of fun fact sheets to help build your info sharing section.

This is a great idea. Let us know if you need any help with it.
          Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

A stereotype of Tourette

Janet,

can supply you with lots of fun fact sheets to help build your info sharing section.
            That would be great and I can pick that up from you this summer. Steph

Comment

A stereotype of Tourette

That's a plan. I am a wealth of both useful and useless information :P :P
              Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Working...
              X