Specific situations/tics increase....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specific situations/tics increase....

Ok, I think this would be the best thread for this topic.

I have just sorta realized lately a new possible reason for increase of tics. Now, I dont know about anyone else here, but for me personally, I LOVE "cold". I rarely run my heater in the winter and the AC is ALWAYS on in the summer. I never get cold and even if I do, I like it. Now, this has always been just something I thought was just me and sorta weird and whatever, but I started to notice something. Whenever Im in a situation and or place where I feel warm (or hot) and I start to feel "overheating", I start to have a "uncomfortable" feeling and my tics increase. I have a head twitch (that keeps coming and going) but lately, it only "shows itself" when Im in this type of situation. Now Im starting to wonder if I naturally like it cold because sub-conciously, I know my tics will be reduced. Kinda like a plant that is placed by a window but not directly. Slowy and surley, the stems will lean towards the open light, but it happens so naturally. (that may have been a horrible analogy, sorry! lol) But its not a concious thought that "when Im in a cold place, my tics are calm", but I notice, when Im at home where its cool, my tics are light. When Im at work, if its cool, Im good. If its warm (like right now when Im typing this, lol) my tics are increasing.

Anyways, just wondering what your guys thoughts are on this. Do you think Im on to something or is this another crazy post by me! lol

Does anyone else have a similar "issue"?
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

LOVE "cold".
    Adam,

I can think of a few options:
    • Have you had your thyroid function checked? The thyroid gland is the body's thermostat and it may be related.

Have you spoken to your doctor or pharmacist about your feeling comfortable in cold? Some medications reduce the body's ability to detect temperature extremes.

You may just be a person wo likes the cold b-r-r-r :P
    Steve
    TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Steve,

No, I have not had my thyroids checked.....ever, really. As far as the medication, I have been off all meds for over a year now but still have this comfort in the cold. I will say, the oppisite goes for heat with me. Whats comfortable and pleasant to most (70-75 degree F) is extremely warm to me(indoors, outdoors its ok). So I dont know if that would mean anything but next time Im at my doctors office, I will bring it up. I just never really thought of it before.
      The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

Adam,

You may wish to read about hyper and hypo thyroidism and see if any of it applies to you, then discuss it with your doctor. Thyroid function tests are simple and commpnly performed and treatments are simple.

Let us know what you find out.

Maybe you are a human snowman :P :P
        Steve
        TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Steve,

Well, like all list of symptoms for any disease, I always finding myself going :yea, I do that, wait, I sometimes feel depressed" and than find myself counting the number of time I have used the bathroom! lol, but when I am in next time, I will bring it up. I guess other than the tics it doesnt bother me. My AC bill may disagree, but Im good!

Comment

Adam,

For the benefit of your long term health care planning, it would probably be worthwhile discussing this with your family physician and asking if there should be concern about thyroid function.
            Steve
            TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

I'm the opposite. I HATE being cold and it makes me ticcier. I don't mind the heat a bit (which is a VERY good thing since I live in a desert and work in kitchens. LOL!)
              ;)

Comment

Haejinn,

But so its sorta the same thing, just the reverse, right? One kind of "setting" makes you tic more and one makes you feel calmer. I just maybe think it may be something that your brain makes up that cause a stress like action to tic more.

Steve,

I am gonna bring it up with my doctor. I asked my dad if there was any family history of thyroid problems but he coundlnt remember any. But than again, there havent been any history of annuerysms but I still had one. Same with tourettes. (maybe I was adopted! lol)

Comment

Yeah, I think so. I feel very stressed when I'm cold. But even in temperatures of 115, I may be uncomfortable, but it's not stressful to me. :D

Comment

Well, yea, if its -20 degrees (here in MN, thats possible! lol) its a little too cold but whats comfortable to me is way below whats comfortable for others.

Comment

Working...
                    X