Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restless Leg Syndrome

Anyone have restless leg syndrome?

Mainly at night, people with this syndrome have an irrestable urge to move their legs.

Where both TS and RLS is an urge to do something, I was wondering if other people have this.

Restless Leg Syndrome

Often, particularly when I'm physically idle - in bed before sleep or at my computer at work.

This leg 'bouncing' is something that tends to annoy people - especially when it vibrates a desk/table or makes a repetetive noise. But still tough to stop.
    Colin

Comment

Restless Leg Syndrome

Hi Steph,

I have had RLS for more than 30 years. I used to get that creepy crawly sensation up the back of my legs in junior high school when sitting at my desk at school. I would try not to move my legs, but I just couldn't stand it and had to move them around. It happened only occassionally then, but happened more often when I became an adult. I didn't know what it was at the time. I only found out about it probably in my twenties.
      I had read in the newspaper that applying rubbing alcohol on one's legs would relieve symptoms. I did that for a number of years and it usually worked. I had to apply it liberally. The only problem was I had to get my tired self up to apply the alcohol and then try to get back to sleep.
      Later I was using a powdered magnesium/calcium supplement for another unrelated symptom for a number of months, when I realized I hadn't had any RLS the whole time I was using the supplement. I continue to use the magnesium only powdered supplement before I go to bed and it relieves the RLS in about 20 minutes. I don't use it every night anymore, but it still works very well. I tried a magnesium tablet supplement and it did not work on the RLS. So, I think the powdered magnesium mixed in hot water (according to directions) gets into my system better. I always have some on hand. I also give it to my son for tics, but I don't know if it helps. I only give him and myself the RDA for magnesium for each of us.
      You can always try the bar of soap under your bed sheet at the foot of your bed. I heard that helps also.

Grammy

Comment

Restless Leg Syndrome

Steph,

I also wanted to add that I don't have TS. With my son having motor tics, though, I wonder if there lies the genetic connection.

Grammy

Comment

Restless Leg Syndrome

Yes Steph,

My son has this concern, often he sleeps or lays on top of the covers since he tangles himself up.

If he sits to long like in the car or even at a desk this can happen too.

I used to have to walk him every 1.5 hours while traveling. Though younger children they recommend this anyway it was rare we would last that long. I added 20 minutes to every hour of travel for destination time.

He still has this concern but finds changing positions like in a plane helps since he is still small.
          PJK

Comment

Re: Restless Leg Syndrome

Hello Grammy 1
            My son has TS and my grandfather (97 years old now) has suffered from "Restless Legs" for as long as I can remember. He lost a lot of sleep from it for sure and he would always sit and rub his legs to try and make it go away. So you could be right about the connection. Leg fidgets could be related to TS.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great responses.

My mother-in-law who is 75 years old and has TS, OCD (she super cleans) and RLS.

Thank you for the suggestions and I will tell her about the soap at the foot of her bed and the powdered magnesium.

What other activities have you found to relieve your legs?

Comment

When I was younger,my grandmother used magnets at the head & foot of her bed for restless legs. At the time I thought it was a bit(!) odd, but now that I am waking up in the night occasionally with the same problem, I have to admit that I've tried her solution. I use a magnetic bracelet around my ankle, and it really works for me!. It's hardly a scientific study, with n=2, but it's easy & safe to try.
                Good luck!

Arlene

Comment

Arlene:

Welcome to the TSFC forum!

I've heard of that before. It is neat to hear someone that has tried it.

Hope you join in on other topics and enjoy visiting.
                  PJK

Comment

My son got RLS very bad, but the doctors attributed to the extremely high dosage of Zyprexa (Olanzapine) he was on. Since the dose has been cut back the RLS is much better. I also started giving Ginkgo Bilabo to him to try to reduce some of the side effects of the Zyprexa. I was pretty skeptical, but it actually did seem to make an amazing difference both in reducing the side effects (including the RLS) and increasing the effectiveness of the Zyprexa.

Comment

Welcome and I am glad you found us.

Its great to hear when you find something helps. Make sure you let your Doctor know what you are giving and the amount though. Unfortunately something like that can build up in a system and turn on you. There have been other cases on national TV with other medical conditions that has created concerns in the past with reactions.

I've tried other options myself but always let the physicians know what I am doing just in case. That came in handy one time already for us.

We've been dealing with it since my son was around 3 years of age and it has been considered part of his Sensory disorder. There are a lot of children that are effective in one form or another out there. My son exhibits concern for all senses so it can make life a challenge sometimes.

In our case the texture of clothing and the way it fits can help too.

If you need any assistance learning how to navigate around the forum please let us know. I hope you join in on other topics and add some of your own.

Take care.

PJK

Comment

WELL!!!

I was told that I have RLS and if I dont get to sleep fast I get this nerve pain in my legs they get jumpy. I know that anxiety can cause this.

I also have MS
                        ADHD

Comment

Working...
                        X