Comorbidity in Tourette Syndrome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comorbidity in Tourette Syndrome

Hi, I was just wondering how many people and children have just TS and how many people have TS with ADD, TS with ADHD, TS with OCD, TS with Learning disabilities, etc.

My son has TS with ADD. Steph

Hi Steph
    My son, 16 yrs old, has TS with OCD.
    Rose

Comment

I forgot to include this in my original post.

My husband has TS and as a kid had ADD and it went away around age 12. Steph

Comment

The prevalence of Tourette syndrome is estimated at 2% of the general population. This may be a conservative estimate, since many people with very mild tics may be unaware of them and never seek medical attention. Tourette syndrome is four times as likely to occur in boys as in girls.

Source: NIH Medline

According to the TSFC, the frequency of co-occurrence is still controversial

Source: TSFC FAQ. Q: Do people with TS have other associated behaviours in addition to tics?

"The incidence of Tourette's syndrome is between .03% and .40% in general populations. However, the incidence of tics is between 4% and 12% in school age children. The incidence of Tourette's syndrome in childhood-onset OCD is 15%, and 40% to 60% of children with Tourette's syndrome have obsessive-compulsive symptoms [Leckman and others]. The incidence of tics in childhood-onset OCD is reportedly as high as 59%," Rapaport said. "Many times, like other things, if we don't ask about it, or don't look for it, we don't see it. But if we ask about it, look for it and have increased index of suspicion, it's there."

Source Psychiatric Times
        Steve
        TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Steve, I know the stats for TS and for comorbidity but it just seems to me that many, many people including children have more than just TS. I was hoping that people would put down if they have just TS or other things with it. I could be wrong but I was just curious. Steph

Comment

Steph!

I didn't know you already had this information, so for the benefit of others following the discussion, we've laid some groundwork for a better understanding of the incidence of Tourette.

Tourette may be associated with features of many other conditions.

You may wish to review Dr. Leslie Packer's Site, where you can learn about what she refers to as Tourette Plus, the name we have adopted for this discussion section.

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, non-0CD anxiety disorders, Executive Dysfunction, depression, Bipolar Disorder, autism spectrum disorders including Asperger's Disorder, 'rage attacks,' sensory integration issues, and sleep disorders.

After looking through her comprehensive overview, let us know your comments as to whether you found the information you were looking for.

Regards,
            Steve
            TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Hi Steph

Just wanted to share our family co-morbidity...

Me: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Executive Dysfunction, neurological storms, sensory integration issues, and sleep disorders.

my oldest: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Executive Dysfunction, and sleep disorders.

my second oldest: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, neurologocal storms, sensory integration issues, and sleep disorders and the most recent diagnosis to add to the mix is Dyslexia.

if and when my twins get diagnosed, I'll update you :D
              Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Well, here's my list (not complete though):

Asperger Syndrome which includes executive dysfunction, sensory integration problems, low stress threshhold, depression, rage attacks due to sensory overload, and a host of other problems (about another 100 of them that have been recognized as part of AS).

Severe food intolerances and environmental allergies (including Celiac disease, salicylate intolerance, which is often mistakenly referred to as 'Aspirin Allergy', since it includes a lot more than Aspirin, asthma, psoriasis, migraines and many more).

Dyscalculia (like dyslexia, but involving numbers, not letters).
                German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Comment

Steph

In our case my son is the only one with TS+ (ADHD, Anxiety, PTSD, Sensory and at this point ODD is questionable)

Although I must carry the gene that helped set off the TS we do not have anyone in our family on my side with neurological disorders.

His father's side has chemical & neurological concerns with all the siblings and his mothers side of the family.

My son has an older half sister that does not have any concerns other then two medical conditions she inherited from me.
                  PJK

Comment

Thank you everyone! Clearly more research is needed in TS+.

I find it interesting that there was no one who had only TS!

It seems to me that the comorbidity is what is debilitating and has a crippling effect on people's lives. Steph

Sorry again Steve.

Comment

I only have TS. *waving*

:D

But I think a big part if it is, like you said, it's usually other diagnoses that are debilitating. People who have 'just TS' don't really have a reason to seek support, online or off.

I happen to hang out in TS circles online because I had such a rough time of it as a kid. Since neither my parents nor I knew I had TS, they (and I!) thougtht I was performing these tics 'on purpose'. That made SUCH an impact on my life, that when I was an adult and researching TS on the internet, after I figured out what it was all about, I stuck around.

There were so many parents looking for answers and at this time (about 10 years ago) there was so little good info about Tourette's on the internet. 10 years ago, it was all gloomy and parents were being told they could expect their children to grow up unable to have 'normal lives', unable to care for themselves even, to EXPECT trouble in school even if that hadn't occured 'yet', and that people with TS were perverts, addicts, violent, deviant, in trouble with the law, etc. etc. etc.

At first I thought "wow, I got really lucky!" but over a period of time, it was apparant that I and some other adults with TS were ALL saying "hey, that doesn't fit me at all." so, we started telling parents 'Hey, your child doesn't have to be written off because of a TS diagnosis!!!" At the time, I felt if I could help even one kid with TS, then it would be worth it.

Things have changed A LOT since then!!! It amazes me to look back. From thinking I was one of the lucky few for having a 'normal' life to realizing I'm NOT the exception, I'm the rule.

Anyway, that's a long way of saying I think most people with only TS just don't have need of internet support and that's why we see so few of them. :D

Comment

Haejinn, didn't you say that you have "a bit" of OCD for nailbiting and was on Prozac? Also didn't you say you have social phobia?

There is nothing wrong with having these medical conditions. TS+ is not something that should be disregarded and recognizing these conditions will help others.

In my opinion as a nursing student because TS disrupts the chemicals in the brain then it is likely that other aspects of an individual's mind is affected. This is the reason I wanted to post this topic because I think many people have TS+ and only a few have TS. Like I stated before this is only my opinion. Steph

Comment

Haejinn, when I reread this morning what I had posted to you, then I realized that I came on a little strong. I didn't mean to and sorry about that.

In nursing school I am use to very heated discussions about health problems and the best ways to overcome. We all do it and we all love it. I am probably one of the tame ones. Steph

Comment

I don't think that my nailbiting is OCDish.. mostly cuz when I WAS on Prozac, it didn't go away. However, studies seem to show that at least a subset of OCD is related to TS, so I guess to me, saying I have a little bit of OCD is the same as saying I have a few tics. ??? I certainly wouldn't qualify for an OCD diagnosis.

I didn't even think of the social phobia, I guess I'm so used to having it, I forget/forgot about it??? But even so, the stuff in my other post still stands (at least in MY mind! :P )

I still don't consider myself to have TS+ .. mostly cuz I think the term TS+ isn't really valid. Then EVERYONE, of course, would have TS PLUS something else.. whether it be ADHD or a toenail fungus. I think TS+ got distorted from Leslie Packer's original meaning and now people think that TS+ means that other stuff is all related to Tourette's.

Haejinn, when I reread this morning what I had posted to you, then I realized that I came on a little strong. I didn't mean to and sorry about that.

In nursing school I am use to very heated discussions about health problems and the best ways to overcome. We all do it and we all love it. I am probably one of the tame ones. Steph
                            Oh good! I love heated discussions too... but from another discussion we'd had, I thought you just didn't like me or what I had to say, so I admit I was hesitant of even posting to this thread. :D

Comment

Hi Haejinn, I like everyone. Life is to short, I always seize the moment and that is why I put forth my own point of view because there might never be a tomorrow.

I do believe that everyone has TS+ because from what I have read it is a syndrome that affects many aspects of a person's life.

This is the first time that I have read or written on a forum and to be honest it is difficult to say a point of view without offending someone because we are all different. But this is just my opinion.

Everytime I write, I read it over and I ask myself "am I going to offend someone by writing this"? It is to the point for me that I don't think that I will post on the forum anymore.

The main reason I came on the forum is to learn about the lived experience of TS, how to help my son to become proud of who he is, and to help him grow to be a responsible adult. After alot of reading, I believe he is doing the best he can. Steph

Comment

Working...
                              X