Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Anti-bullying messages in 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-bullying messages in 2013

As a compliment to the posts in this thread, there are a few new anti-bullying messages surfacing in the first part of 2013.

Here's are two:
    (I'll post more about these two stories in separate posts. Please feel free to add to this list as you find these stories.)

1. Canadian ‘pork chop’ bullying video goes viral
    By: Lesley Ciarula Taylor News reporter, The Toronto Star, Published on Thu Feb 21 2013

Canadian poet Shane Koyczan has hit a nerve in the public psyche with his newly illustrated video on bullying.
    Koyczan, who electrified audiences with his performance at the Vancouver Olympics, describes bullied kids as growing up “believing no one would ever fall in love with us, that we would be lonely forever.”

In two days, more than 1 million people have watched the seven-minute video, part of the anti-bullying campaigner’s“To This Day Project.”

2. Anti-bullying anthology uses poetry to tackle pressing issue
    By: Kamila Hinkson News reporter, The Toronto Star, Published on Fri Feb 22 2013

“Sticks and stones may break my bones,
    but words can also hurt me.
    Stones and sticks only break skin,
    while words are ghosts that haunt me.”
    - from “Truth,” by Barrie Wade

What haunted Canadian tennis player Rebecca Marino, 22, was the words of anonymous online tormentors, people who chided her for losing matches, taunted her about her weight and told her to burn in hell. On Wednesday, she announced that she was stepping away from the sport.
    “You know, there’s that saying ‘Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me,”’ she told The New York Times. “But that’s not true. Names definitely hurt. Words hurt.”

An anti-bullying poetry anthology, launched today, is the latest effort to use the arts to deal with the increasingly present issue.
    Authors David Booth and Larry Swartz are the editors behind The Bully, The Bullied, The Bystander, The Brave, a compilation of poems by authors such as Langston Hughes, Shel Silverstein, Jean Little and Jay-Z. The two educators and authors pulled the poems from hundreds of poetry books. “We combed through those books to find things that could connect with the topic,” Swartz said.

Beginning in March, 2,500 free copies of the book will be distributed to English school boards across Canada, thanks to a partnership between BMO Financial Group and Scholastic Canada.

Additional copies will be available through the Scholastic Canada website.
    Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
    TSFC Membership
Working...
X