Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
2 of 2 < >

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Smelling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelling

My son MUST smell everything he picks up. EVERYTHING! I was wondering if anyone else has had this tic and if it's one of those that can come and go or does it seem to stick around for the long haul?

His chore at home was taking out the garbage but I have changed it since this started! I couldn't do that to him! ick!

Re: Smelling

My son does this too, but our psychologist says it is his OCD. We are doing some behaviour therapy for it, which involves having Jacob touch something or someone then not smelling his hands (which is the main thing he smells). It is a bit successful, but he is still smelling other items, though not everything he is going to pick up. Has your child been diagnosed with OCD (I'm sure you know how common it is with TS). I find that many tics and compulsions overlap and it is also difficult to figure out which is which. Therapy-wise, the main difference (according to our psychologist) is that compulsions can be treated through CBT and tics are better to ignore. If you have access to a psychologist/therapist who does cognitive behaviour therapy (if your child has OCD) I would recommend it. It is better if the child is motivated but even if not, there are ways for parents at least to stop enabling the compulsion (and strengthening it!). It has been great for us. Kristin

Comment

I always thought there was some OCD in the mix too but the doctor that finally diagnosed the TS said that L didn't show enough of the required behaviors for the diagnosis. I'm still researching it myself to see if I can make the connection. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Hi

When OCD presents with TS the symptoms are not the "typical" OCD symptoms. It presents differently and many feel it is OCB ie obsessive compulsive behaviors. I have TS plus ADHD and OCD and I smell many things especially anything I ingest. I also have a hyper sensitive sense of smell, I smell everything even things most don't notice. This is often a problem for me because sometimes intense smells can trigger a migraine for me.
        Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Janet,
          How is OCD different when it is related to TS? I was not aware of this. Jacob's OCD is a lot worse than his TS and as far as I have read and learned, most of his OCD symptoms are fairly typical. He does, however, have some behaviours which are hard to distinguish from tics (like the smelling, banging, tapping, etc.). Kristin

Comment

Hi Kirsten:

OCD with TS may present a bit differently than OCD alone.

One of the things that tends to show up more with the combination of OC behaviours and TS is the 'just right' feeling. This 'just right' feeling can be in how things look, or how things feel.

In children, this may be manifested in the child erasing a letter or word and rewriting it over and over until it looks 'just right.' They could even end up erasing to the point that there is hole in the paper and then reaching a point of major frustration because they can't achieve that 'just right' feeling.

Or, it could be struggling to get clothing to feel 'just right.' A child may constantly readjust his or her clothing until it feels right. This could mean that the shoulder seams are in the right place and balanced, or that seams pants sit at just the right spot on the waist, or that belts are tightened just so. With my son, the issue was shoelaces. His shoes had to be tightened just right or he couldn't leave the house. This could take multiple tries to get the laces pulled to the right tightness in the right places and with the bow tied in just the right manner.

Some of my son's symptoms were very hard to distinguish from tics. Was he hitting the table and walls because of tic, or a compulsion? We are now pretty sure it is because of OC behaviours -- but hind sight often makes things easier. At the time he had a wide variety of motor tics that were similar, making it very hard to tell what was what.

There is a good section on OCD in Understanding Tourette Syndrome: A Handbook for Families.
            Cathy
            Forum Moderator

Comment

That is interesting. Jacob does have some of those "just right" obsessions and compulsions - the main one being pressing his neck or other body part onto something repetetively. I always thought it seemed more Tourettish than OCDish but the psychologist said it was "just right" ocd. So, I guess that fits with your explanation.
              Back to the smelling, would that be more typical in people with TS too? Kristin

Comment

With the smelling from my personal experience only.. I have seen this in many, many of the people I know or have met over the years with TS. I know a couple of people with OCD and have not seen them smell anything, that does not mean they don't. I smell things regardless of who is around LOL

thanks Cathy for popping in with a "just right" response LOL
                Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

I am 46 and have smelled my hands after touching things as long as I can remember. When I was young, I twirled my mother's hair constantly, and would then sniff my fingers. I did this to my wife until she tired of it, and I began touching my own hair and sniffing. I smell my hand if I touch an animal, after I pump gas, it goes on and on. I remember my grandma asking me why I smelled my hands after I touched everything. It is so natural to me, I usually don't even notice it.

Comment

Working...
                  X