Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
2 of 2 < >

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Very chronic neck and head twitching?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very chronic neck and head twitching?

I was diagnosed with Tourette's around 12 years old, i'm 19 now. So i'm guessing this will be a life-long condition. But I questioned whether it was tourette's because not 5 seconds goes by without a twitch on a GOOD day. Days when i'm stressed out will be around 3-2 second time-frame, and immediate stress will cause constant severe twitching. It isn't THAT harsh of twitches but if I suppress them long enough through sheer willpower it will build into a huge twitch. I RARELY have vocal tics, and I only do if my diaphragm twitches when my mouth is open. Can anyone relate to this twitching consistency?

Re: Very chronic neck and head twitching?

Hello Dan, and welcome to the Forum!

i'm guessing this will be a life-long condition
    As you may know there is no cure for Tourette at this time, so the disorder is life long. However some people report their tic activity regresses with time, while in others there is a xaxing and waning ot tics over months and even years, so there is no consistent pattern from one person to another.

Days when i'm stressed out will be around 3-2 second time-frame, and immediate stress will cause constant severe twitching.
    Stress exacerbates tic activity, and it is thought that peole with Tourette might have a basic anxiety threshold higher than the general population to begin with. Stress is cumulative at any given time, so if you are dealing with two stressful situations, your cumulative stress level might be higher than if you were dealing with only one at that particular moment.

Stress can therefore increase tic activity, which is why people with Tourette can do well by finding ways to cut down unnecessary stress in their lives.

if I suppress them long enough through sheer willpower it will build into a huge twitch
    Some people are fortunate in that they can or have learned to suppress their tics when they want to. By suppressing, the tics are may not be expressed, but there seems to be a build up of energy that needs to be released at some point. In your case, that energy is expressed as one big twitch!

In our Forum section titled Tics Overview there are a number of "Sticky" posts at the top of the section that describe tics and how they work in detail, you might find informative.

Glad you've joined the Forum, have a look through the various resources we have posted and feel free to join in any ongoing discussion or start some of your own.
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Hello Dan

my son had the most severe form of Tourette with tics ever changing, some also in the every couple seconds...
      He was diagnosed at age 6.
      After high school when the stress level improved as he did not got o school he got better.
      He is 26 now and hardly any tics-and off all medications!
      There is hope!
      Zorka

Comment

I'm pretty sure I'll be paralized soon, put it that way.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I'll be paralized soon
          Is this conclusion from a competent medical evaluation or is it your own perception from the intense muscular activity you have been experiencing?
          Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
          If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
          Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

My own opinion, I doubt I'll have a life void of joint failure... my neck and back twitching is bad, sometimes something just "goes" and I can't stand... My neck gets pulled and my bones sometimes ache, I don't think my cartilage is reaping any benefits at all.

Comment

Working...
            X