Announcement

Collapse

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

RLS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLS

Has anyone experienced restless leg syndrome?

My son has experienced this since three and after many years of improvement it seems to be getting worse again.

His seems to be tied into his sensory issues and the feel of clothing.
    PJK

Re: RLS

Hi,

Yes, I have had RLS off and on for 30 years. I don't have TS though. I find magnesium eliminates the problem when taken right before going to bed. I only find the powdered form that you mix in hot water helpful. I have tried the tablet form which did nothing for me. I always keep a bottle of it on hand. I usually just take the RDA of it and that works. Check with his doctor to see if he might try it. Hope this helps.

Grammy

Comment

Grammy

That's interesting. I have another child with limb problems and potassium in her answer.
      We keep a lot of banana's and grapes in the home..

Thanks for the tip!

Happy New Year.
      PJK

Comment

I know very little about this , but I move my legs alot and bounce my knees but they would be tics. I have not come across this condition with my family but we all ie my mom and a couple of my siblinges all move our legs... It makes me wonder... especially since I was not diagnosed with TS till my son was.

Is it possible to have this and not know it? or is the sensation or feelings so strong that it's obvious something is not right?
        Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Hi Janet,

I think if it were RLS you would know it. For me, the sensation is so strong that I can't stand it unless I get up and walk, jump, jog around the room to relieve the sensation. As soon as I move, the sensation stops. So, the worst time would be lying still, especially while trying to sleep. Before I found the magnesium, I would jump up out of bed, after trying with all my might not to move my legs, and start jogging next to my bed. Mine is a creepy-crawly sensation. It is not painful, but a really weird sensation. I've heard that it can be painful also. I don't get pain. Also, before I used the magnesium, I had read in our local paper about using rubbing alcohol on your legs. That used to work for me, but the problem with that was that I would have to get up and generously apply the alcohol to both legs, thus disrupting my half-sleep state even more. It did work though. I also keep a bar of soap under the sheet at the foot of my bed. I read that that works for RLS although I don't know if it works for me because I take the magnesium. I don't know what the scientific explanation for that one (the soap) would be! So, these are the remedies I have come across.

Grammy

Comment

I bet you are right. I figured from how several members have talked about it that it was more than just needing to move your legs.

thanks Grammy
            Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Working...
            X