Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
2 of 2 < >

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Legs and ankles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legs and ankles

Has anyone experienced ankles twisting?

Legs bobing?

Numb feeling or tingeling in legs?

Clothing bother you? The feel has to be right?
    PJK

Legs and ankles

I have had a number of knee injuries and its almost like my TS knows that and I end up doing tics involving my knees. I had a bad one where while I was walking I would flare or kick my leg out until it almost hyperextended and I would get satisfaction from the pain that shot up and down my leg.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

Legs and ankles

I will roll my ankles, and twist my feet until they crack. Mind you, it WILL help my feet feel better and alleviate some pain. The same goes for cracking my hip joints. If I don't do it I'll end up not being able to use my legs. So, it might be a tic to an extent, but is also a necessity for me. I have very lose and weak joints.

I have also always had to shake my legs (especially the right one) in a fast and specific kind of shake, again, to release something in my knee, which makes it painful to walk. The release (which cracks) will alleviate the problem. My kids hate it when I do that, they say it looks like a dog shaking his leg after peeing, and they get mad when I do it in public.
      German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Comment

Legs and ankles

what does "legs bobing" mean please PJK ?

the only thing i do with regards limbs is to kick my right leg up behind me,i am quite good at hiding this (i think) by pretending i either have something on my shoe and am just picking it off or that i have an itch on my ankle so have to kick my leg up to get it as i am walking along,i havent done this for a week or so now though so it may have gone,
        jo

Comment

Legs and ankles

Hi, On saturday my son started another new tic. It is curling his toes, which means that when he walks he either has to stop and curl his toes or bend his legs down and curl one toe and then the other.

After all day in school, he came home today exhausted. His legs hurt so much.

Some of the kids made fun of him and he said that he just ignored them. :roll:

It is heart breaking to watch him do this over and over especially when his legs are really hurting. Steph

Comment

Legs and ankles

Steph,

Some of the kids made fun of him and he said that he just ignored them
            Have you rehearsed and role played with your son a way that he can explain his Tourette to the other kids in a simple and succinct manner?

It's been found that children with Tourette who have practiced explaining their involuntary tics to others usually gain better acceptance with their young peers and avoid some of the kidding.
            Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
            If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
            Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Legs and ankles

Hi, I didn't tell my son that he may possibly have TS because we wanted to have a diagnosis first.

Since on Friday we didn't get that and it will be a long time before we are back to see the ped then we are unsure which way to go. I am hesitant to tell him.

I want whatever is best for him and since I was responsible for going to the ped and she was not very nice to us, then I feel that I don't want to make another mistake.

I really wish that I could see into the future. Steph

Comment

Legs and ankles

In reply to PJK's initial posting, I too have found the need to twist my ankles, until I feel a sort of popping sensation almost as if the bone has moved a bit. I feel the need to do this at routine times, such as in a basketball game when we are lined up for free throws, I feel the need to do it. It has become harder because I now wear ankle braces, which prevent me from making this motion, but somehow I always find a way, even if I have to bend over and undo the brace to do it. It can be a bit annoying, but I've gotten used to it and it is one of my less noticeable tics so I do not bother trying to suppress it.
                Steph
                ~be a miracle~

Comment

Legs and ankles

Steph:

I can relate, my son even figured out a way to do when he broke his leg and ankle and was still in his cast. It caused him to keep the cast on longer to heal and cause much pain for him.
                  PJK

Comment

Legs and ankles

OMG when you talked about clothing something in my head went off...my clothing had to fight just write or I couldnt even go out of the house...its a little bit better know cuz I have grown out of it a bit but still.....(btw Im Chloe, 14 years old) it really hit home when you said that...I know it sounds stupid but especially if underwear didnt fit right...that was it I couldnt keep going...

Comment

Legs and ankles

Chloe

It is great to see you on the TSFC forum. Belated welcome!

Hopefully this forum can offer you some comparison's that you have lived through too and you may be able to offer some insight to others going through the same experiences.

Glad you found us :D

Midnight:

I reviewed all the postings and realized I never responded to your question about the movement.

It is when you sit up right and your leg bounces outward & up repeatedly, you don't necessarily have to hit your heal back on the floor. It can also be like if the Doctor hit your knee to see the reflex response.

It can be very irritating to my son, especially when he is in class, and sitting in the back seat of the car we have to strategically place him so he wont hit the bottom of the front seats.

Sorry for the delayed response... :oops:
                      PJK

Comment

Legs and ankles

i never new ankle and legg bobling was a tic i guess i have a new tic oh well
                        it anit my fault, its the way i am

Comment

Re: Legs and ankles

Yes too all.

Comment

Working...
                          X