Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
2 of 2 < >

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

cracking nuckles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cracking nuckles

is this considered a tic , a habbit, or something else?
    i have been cracking my nuckles since i was a kid, at least 20 years,everyone says i should stop because i will get arthritis when i am older
    is this true?
    i cant stop doing it,and i do it in a certain way,from one end to the other on both hands and then back again and then i have to crack the joints near the top of each finger too
    anyone else do this and what are your opinions of it being a tic ?
    jo

cracking nuckles

First off, I crack my knuckles too. No, it will not give you arthritis when you are older. The problem is most people dont know what is being cracked. Its not cartilage. that is what causes arthritis. Personally I dont think it is a tic but maybe someone could put forth their insight on it.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

Cracking Knuckles - me too!

Hey Jo.
      I have been doing this for almost 40 years.
      Yup, my parents told me the same thing.
      I think I may be a form of a tic.
      I have arthritis in my fingers now and I cannot crack them like I did because my fingers hurt. I must have done it 20 times a day, in a sequence much like you described.

My dd also does this many times a day. She says she cannot stop.
      I understand completely. It is satisfying in some strange way. It gives a good feeling after I'm done. I stop now and do this as I am typing.
      I does get annoying for other people to listen to.

Don't worry Jo. Just go with the flow, or try some cognitive behavior strategies if you want to stop. Change the habbit a little may help.

Take care.
      Tictalkmom
      Being different is special.

Comment

cracking nuckles

thanks for your replies
        i read that it is basically the air in between the joints that *pop* when you crack your knuckles,i wondered if it were true,i have never had any problems with my fingers and have been doing this long enough now so if i was going to damage them at all i think it would have happened by now,how long can my family tell me that i will get arthritis when im older,..i am older !!
        :roll:
        jo

Comment

cracking nuckles

I think part of the problem is that arthrirtis is actually alot more common than most think and actually so is cracking ones knuckles. Your right, it is just air bubbles in the joints which if you dont crack your knuckles, once the build up is too great, it will just naturally happen if you firmly grab something or fall on your hands. Yea, I crack mine a ton and if there was a major damage from it, it would already have set in. But Im sure doing it many many times a day as we do may not be very good for your fingers but its not as bad as some think it is. I have a fear of carpaltunnel(I know thats spelled horribly wrong!) but its only in my left hand and I crack both hands. But all of my TS tics only affect my left hand so it is mainly from the TS, not the cracking of knuckles.
          The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

cracking nuckles

Hi, I'm 14 and not that long ago I cracked my fingers, toes, back (which feels really good) and head (neck) every day...but this wasnt a tick for me this was just a habit...I have been wrong about guessing whether its habit or tic but of this I am sure...it felt really good..as if my fingers were really stiff and then when I cracked them..it felt better...but most ppl around me felt :oops: (sick)...hehe oh well it kinda went away

Comment

cracking nuckles

oh btw I asked my childrens doctor and he said it was safe for me to crack my knuckles...YAH but that is only one doctors oppinion...who knows what kind of damage it may due...oh well im safe for now :lol:

Comment

cracking nuckles

I have also cracked my knuckles in a pattern for awhile going all the way up and down my hands and then doing the tops of my fingers too--I've even found a way to crack my thumbs. I also crack my neck constantly. I have also heard that it will not give you arthritis because it is actually just releasing little hydrogen bubbles that are caught (what I heard anyways). The weird thing about my finger cracking is that when I do it it doesn't bother me, but does the people around me. But when I hear other people do it, it grosses me out...not sure why this is...:?
                Steph
                ~be a miracle~

Comment

Re: cracking nuckles

Thank's for the insight I have been cracking my knuckles for a while now, and I don't have arthiritis.

Comment

Re: cracking nuckles

Awesome thread. I cracked my knuclkes like crazy for years. I totally stopped, now. I crack other people's knuckles, though. Total tic. TS, OCD, whatever you want to label it. Just about an hr ago I was tryin to crack my girlfriend's knuckles and she stopped me after one finger. The urge to crack the rest of her knuckles was so strong, I had to force myself to think about something else. And I am still thinkng about it.
                    I actually posted an entry to my blog on this very subject if anyone would care to read it. Comments are always read and appreciated.

http://ticticticboom.blogspot.com/20...ackle-pop.html
                    Check out my tic ridden blog:
                    http://ticticticboom.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X