Announcement

Collapse

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Is this a tic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a tic?

Hi Everyone,
    I just wanted to share with you the scarey new tics my daughter has developed. She looks at us with wide eyes, looks both ways and bolts out the door and down the street. I fear this may become dangerous as she could end up in front of a car or something. She will also try to open the car door while I'm driving and get out. She does better when she is driving because she can focus.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks everyone.
    Caralee

Re: Is this a tic?

CaraleeJoy, this sounds really scary. These symptoms must be very distressing for her.

I would suggest that you and your daughter have a discussion of what things can be done to ensure that she doesn't injure herself when she has these impulses. Things like putting a large piece of cardboard and other barriers between the seat and the door of your car to make it difficult to be able to access the door handle. Hopefully, in the time it would take to actually be able to get to the door, the impulse would recede and she would be able to stop herself.

It seems possible to me that the longer it would take to enact something dangerous, the more likely that she would be able to get control over the impulse to do it. We've had other members here who have talked about tics involving dangerous things; I hope some of them will chime in.

Comment

Caraleejoy,

It may help in differentiating among the various manifestations of Tourette Syndrome and associated disorders by considering the following:

What is a tic?

According to DSM-5, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders the diagnostic tool used by physicians to classify and define diagnoses:

A tic is a sudden, rapid, recurrent, nonrhythmic motor movement or vocalization

Tics are functionally muscular contractions, usually expressed to their maximum, meaning the muscle is contacted or extended to the outer edge of its range. So an arm movement might swing from one extreme of its rotation to the other, or a vocal tic, which is the expression of the vocal cords ( they are muscles) might be expressed as a shrill scream or loud shouted word.

On the other hand the kind of behaviour you describe might fall into the the category of obsessions compulsions. My use of the the word behaviour is not meant to suggest it's voluntary behaviour, but rather a symptom that should be assessed by a medical professional to determine what if any associated disorders might be afflicting your daughter.

Additional insights into this topic might be found in two of Dr. Leslie Packer's resources:

Common Tics of Tourette Syndrome

and

Is It Symptoms or Behaviour??

as well as:

Tics vs Compulsions

You might also want to read some of the posts in the Forum's OCD section

in particular:

Tourette Syndrome and OCD: Re-Examining the Relationship
      Steve
      TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Thank-you!
        I think its been a reaction to her medication. She initially bolted soon after starting on Intunive. The compulsion or whatever we will call it seemed to ease up after she was on it for a wee bit. Then we upped her dose...and again...zoom. In the past 5 days she hasn't done it. I'm keeping tabs on all of her tics. Our first appointment with our tourettes psychiatrist isn't until July 23. We asked if we could perhaps boost that up but haven't heard anything.
        Thanks again for your input. This is such a great forum.
        Blessings,
        Caralee

Comment

CaraleeJoy,

I need to correct a term I used incorrectly in post #3.

I was distracted and instead of writing the word compulsion, I wrote, incorrectly the word obsession.....both terms are sometimes together, but in this context the former was the applicable term. The correction was made in Post #3.

It should have read:

On the other hand the kind of behaviour you describe might fall into the the category of compulsions.
          Steve
          TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Hi CaraleeJoy.

She looks at us with wide eyes, looks both ways and bolts out the door and down the street...She will also try to open the car door while I'm driving and get out. She does better when she is driving because she can focus.
            These definitely sound like compulsions with (likely with related internal obsessions) to me. One weird aspect of TS and some other conditions is a tendency to obsessively analyze a tense situation, it's amazing to my how many videos about people with TS show obsessive thoughts and compulsions about tense situations that involve worst things that might happen. Is she worried about driving situations for some reason?

Comment

Opening a car door and running away is not a tic. It's just too complicated and meaningful. It sounds like a compulsion to me (and not just me, as you can see above). However, if the medication changes the behavior, then it should be very easy to fix - stop the meds, or get the levels right so this is not a side effect. I'm not a doctor, so I'm not saying to stop the meds - but it is an option that must always be on the bottom of the list. I'm a fan of well prescribed effective medications, when the side effects are reasonable. Jumping out of a car... well, that sounds kinda serious. Good luck!
              Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
              http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

Comment

My daughter also will take off and run with no ability to control it. Her movement disorders are medication induced so I wonder if that is why they are both experiencing the running?

Comment

Working...
                X