Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
2 of 2 < >

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Abdomen Clenching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abdomen Clenching

Has anyone else had a tic where you clench your stomach muscles tight togather? It than affects my breathing and makes any project, even walking, difficult.

{edit spelling}
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Abdomen Clenching

i do this in bed,i clench then release so it is almost like a little laugh,you know where you just tighten your stomach muscles and give a little short nasal laugh with your mouth shut,i do this over and over in bed and make the bed wobble a little,lol,lordy knows what my husband must think ,
    jo

Comment

Abdomen Clenching

Adam:

My son does this too, mostly at night.
      PJK

Comment

Abdomen Clenching

It's an especially annoying tic if one wants to do relaxation breathing exercises! It's been part of my repertoire since childhood.
        Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
        If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
        Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Abdomen Clenching

I have heard of lots of people describe this type of internal tic but have yet to experience it. I have a new one to share. My 7 year old starting describing a "vibration" feeling inside his whole body. He says he feels like he is shaking inside but he can see he is not shacking on the outside. This was a new one for me and has me a little concerned because I have never heard of it before. anyone experience that type of internal torso tic. He says it's like he is vibrating from top of his head to his toes.

I have watched him close his eyes and try to work through it and then he'll say I think its gone and then minutes later it starts again. sound tic like, what do you think??
          Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Abdomen Clenching

Janet,

I dont know if this was a tic of TS but I used to experience almost a dizziness feeling throughout my body every once in a while. It was hard to explain but it felt like(visually) that there was an earthquake was happening in my head. But Im not sure what it was really.
            The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

Abdomen Clenching

Hi Adam

Was it something you felt occassionally or was it more frequent? I shared this with my son's teacher only last night via email and she told me that he had told her about this feeling too. So if is happening pretty regularly. He has nicknamed it the "twister" and he says he tries to stop it but "can't". He hasn't described it as dizzy or that his head was light or anything. He's been pretty good about all this.
              Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Abdomen Clenching

Adam & Janet:

This is a problem for my son too. When it first started happening people around us thought he was playing out for attention or being silly but it use to "freak him out" because of the way it felt.

When the topic comes up around family now I shoot it down quickly and they just look lost by my description and advice to ignore him.

Peoples reactions always make any tic worse. I still am not sure if it can be consider a tic or if it is a sensory issue that happens....

I think it is interesting that so many people experience the same thing but there is no clear answer for the fact. I feel like we are on the ground level.

I'm glad the topic was raised, you both just validated my position...
                PJK

Comment

Abdomen Clenching

It was definately one of my more less common tics but it was different enough to remember.

Comment

Abdomen Clenching

I get that too, like my whole body is vibrating from the inside, or sometimes a shaking, freezing sensation, even though I am not cold. The freezing happens when I've been in a difficult situation, but the vibrating (which fortunately doesn't happen often, as it is a VERY uncomfortable feeling) has no explanation at all.

Who knows what that is, and why it happens. I've never told anybody, because they wouldn't understand anyhow. At least here some people know what it feels like, too!
                    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Comment

Abdomen Clenching

Thanks to each of you for being able to relate to some aspect of this. When my son shared this i was really set back just because I had never heard of it before. Having you here to validate that it is "yet another" possible symptom is relieving. Thanks a bunch.
                      Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Abdomen Clenching

Uschi:

It is great to see you on the forum. I hope you have been doing well.
                        PJK

Comment

Abdomen Clenching

Originally posted by PJK
                          Uschi:

It is great to see you on the forum. I hope you have been doing well.
                          Sorry for not being around for a while, I had computer problems as well as very little time.

I am slowly getting better, now that I know it was the gluten making me so sick. Thanks for your concern.

Uschi
                          German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Comment

Abdomen Clenching

I did that a few months ago...it would actually hurt me to do it..although of course I couldnt help it...I definetely know how painful that is..

Comment

Hello There!

Adam,

I also have the tic where I clench my stomach muscles together extremely tight and it often causes me a lot of pain. This seems to happen to me alot. The muscle just below my stomach will clench too & that hurts me more than the stomach clenches. Its like theres this muscle in my body that is halfway in between my butt and my stomach. If anyone else experiences it or has any information it would help me alot as it has been re-occuring more than usual lately!

When I was younger I also had this thing where I would use my hands to physically push my stomach in. I have not done that in years but was wondering if anyone else had/has that too? I hated doing it but I had to (like most other tics).

Thanks in advance!

Jacqueline

Comment

Working...
                              X