Announcement

Collapse

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Breathing Hard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breathing Hard

My son will breathe really hard and I can hear him doing this from across the room. I don't know if it is a coping method (I have shown him several) or if it is a ticc. Don't worry there is nothing wrong with his ability to breathe. He told me that it only goes away when he plays hockey but there are times that I don't hear him doing this. Steph

Breathing Hard

I personally have a "sighing" tic. It started when I had my first pregnancy. Now I catch myself at work when I am feeling a little frustrated/tense, etc. It used to draw attention but it doesn't anymore. I only know i am doing it when one of my team members makes me aware otherwise I am totally oblivious. :shock:
    Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Breathing Hard

It seems that tics involving breath and breathing are among the most common. They might involve sniffing, puffing, grunting, and various manipulations of the throat, lungs and diaphragm.

There is a part of Tourette where there seems to be a need to exercise a muscle function to its extreme to achieve the total "tic satisfaction factor" as I like to call it.

Therefore a breathing tic might require completely emptying one's lung capacity, or inhaling to completely fill the lungs.

Your son may have a difficult time to articulate what he needs to do to satisfy the tic urge at this time, but as he becomes more acquainted with his Tourette and as he matures, he will be able to describe his tics in greater detail.

It may help him with his comfort level if he has an opportunity to meet other young people his own age who are dealing with Tourette.
      Steve
      TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Breathing Hard

Steve, There is no one here with TS for him to meet with. Steph

Comment

Breathing Hard

Steph you're going to have to plan a trip to the city and I'll ensure he meets lots of us :D :P
          Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Breathing Hard

Steph

Steve is right about emptying and filling his lungs. My son has this tic and if he breaths hard and fast he nearly passes out since he is not breathing deeply.

By pushing all the air out and pulling all the air in it should relieve the tic.

Is he frightened by this?

It use to upset my son a bit because he could not seem to control his breathing for a while. Now he understands and it is alright.
            Sitting on the sofa usually makes it last longer because he can not sit up straight. If it hits and he can not manage it he straddles a chair and places his arms across the back, this opens the lungs easier and helps him complete the process.

I learned this trick with my daughter and asthma.

Taking him out in cold air will help it too. Maybe this is why he references hockey to make it stop.
            PJK

Comment

Breathing Hard

Hi, My son is not frightened by this. Leaning forward and holding on to something is what is called the "Tripod Position". It is common for people who have trouble breathing like asthma and COPD patients to do this in order to increase the capacity of the lungs. It is a good point about the cold air and hockey. Steph

Comment

Breathing Hard

hi steph
                I also have this breathing tic. It feels like I can't catch my breath or get a full breath. Thgis is a relatively new tic for me and really freaked me out the first time it happened about 2 years ago, I actually went to the hospital, I didn't know if I was having a heart attack or asthma or what! The doctors did an oxygen test and said I was fine, they didn't know what was causing it because physically my breathing and heartrate were in normal range. I checked out the symptoms of tourettes and saw this was a common tic and once I realized what it was I was able to cope with it just as any other tic. It is quite annoying though and hard on the chest because I take deep breaths. Once I become aware that I'm doing this deep breathing I can concentrate on it to slow my breathing down, it usually works.

Talk to you later

Kim

Comment

Breathing Hard

My son will do this ticc and I can hear him from across the room.

I am a nursing student therefore I knew that he was not having trouble breathing.

But it still freaks me out to hear him do that. Steph

Comment

Breathing Hard

Kimberly,

I have the exact same tic. It first happened to me during a basketball game and scared my coach and myself a lot. It started happening randomly in class as well and got me and the people around me really worried. Once we figured out it was a tic though (this was the tic that made us aware that I have TS) I have an easier time managing it with holding my breath and counting slowly until it slows down or I can inhale enough air. It was scary when it first started though!
                    Steph
                    ~be a miracle~

Comment

Breathing Hard

Steph,

Do you still have this ticc?

Is it really loud like my son's? Steph

Comment

Breathing Hard

Steph

I do still have this tic, but it is not as frequent and now that I know that it is a tic I can control it better and it doesn't alarm me. I don't know how loud your son's is for sure, but when I get mine people around me can hear it. It would be like if you suddenly heard someone gasp 3 times quickly without actually finishing a gasp before starting the next one. It is quick and I lose my breathe for a second, and people definitely notice but usually they will just think that I am gasping or possibly sighing I guess. When the gasping continues to give me trouble after the first 3, people can definitely notice because I am completely out of breathe and gasping loudly. I try to keep it under control now though, and I'm getting used to it.
                        Steph
                        ~be a miracle~

Comment

Breathing Hard

I too have experienced the breathing tic or lack of being able to breath tic. I first experienced it on my first pregnancy (I've had three ) and would feel like I had to run outside to catch my breath ie needed the fresh air to help me recover. It was very scary because I couldn't understand what was happening. It did not happen very often but when it did, it was intense. On my second pregnancy it was more often and when to the doctor and he put me on puffers figuring my airways were the issue. This help but I assume now it was really mind over matter. I think with me having puffer made me calmer and I could recover faster. I have experienced this on a regular basis and even in recent months. I sometimes find that I swallow wrong and then this big episode comes about where I can't catch my breath. It is very scary because you feel like you have lost control.
                          Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Breathing Hard

Hi Janet,

I swallow wrong and then this big episode comes about where I can't catch my breath
                            Could you talk about swallowing wrong and how it affects your ability to breath. Steph

Comment

Breathing Hard

I guess the best way I can describe it is that while eating I would take in air as I swallowed and that would start me off. I have even gulped air versus inhaled air if that makes sense and then would cough and then struggle to recover.
                              Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Working...
                              X