Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
2 of 2 < >

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

TS>V<Tic Disorder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS>V<Tic Disorder

what is the difference between TS and a tic disorder ?
    i know that tics have to be present for more than a year and both vocal and motor tics should be present( i think thats right)
    and also the onset of TS is before the age of 18
    but what if someone has a tic disorder that comes and goes just as it does in TS ,what if they have tics for a few weeks and then nothing for another few months,only re apperaing when stress is a factor but on going throught out their lives?would it then become TS ?

and can you have TS without any other co-morbid conditions ?

what if you only have motor tics but have had them to varying degrees from a young age,would that be TS or a TD ?
    just something that i thought about recently and so i thought to post it here while i remember

jo

TS&gt;V&lt;Tic Disorder

Hi Midnight:

There are several types of tic disorders.

Transient tic disorders are usually single tics. They can occur in up to 20% of children. By definition they last less than one year. Common tics include eye blinking and eye rolling, shoulder-shrugging, head shaking, and facial grimaing. Vocal tics can also be transient, and tend to include various throat sounds, humming and other noises. Transient tics are not usually associated with specific behavioural or school problems. They are more noticeable during times of heightened excitement or fatigue.

Chronic tic disorders are only motor or vocal. This disorder differs from transient tics both by the duration and by their relatively unchanging character. For example, a person may have a shoulder tic that persists for years and this is the only tic they have. Others may have a few vocal tics that are present for years.

Tourette Syndrome is the most complex of the tic disorders with both motor and phonic tics present.

You can definitely have TS without any of the co-morbid conditions, however, people with only TS and no co-morbid conditions seem to be in the minority.

If you have only motor tics, this is a tic disorder, rather than TS. However, current research seems to indicate that there may not be a clear-cut delineation between tic disorders and TS. The cause may be the same. So chronic tics could be a much milder expression of the same disorder that causes TS. I stress that this is not yet clear in the research, and more studies need to be done before we will have a clear understanding.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator

Comment

TS&gt;V&lt;Tic Disorder

thanks for your reply

that has made it clearer now
      jo

Comment

TS&gt;V&lt;Tic Disorder

Good answer! I would like to add, if I may:

Tourette did his work back in 1885. Yow. We are now finding that the human body is much more complex then anyone suspected until a couple of decades ago. The list of things that can go wrong with muscles is long and complicated, which is why neurologists are medical doctors.

For example, I have, as well as tics, dystonia. The muscle contracts, and does NOT let go. My understanding is (me = not MD) this is a secondary symptom, due to the stress of moderate to severe tics. The body is trying to shut down a system it can not control, like nailing wood to a door to keep out the zombies. Oh, I meant the 100 mph (140kph) winds. Drastic, but for a short time affective.

Tic disorders are not boxes, they are signposts on a long road, where the differences are obvious, as compared to other signposts. Tourette's syndrome is just one point on the spectrum. No two Touretters have the same symptoms. Not even the twins I've met. And some people carry the gene, and have no symptoms at all. Genetics 201 can wait...

So imagine that TS is the last signpost on this long road, where the neurology is so pumped up that you have vocal and motor tics, and they never 'go away' and they change over time. Someone who has, say, 50% of my tics would not necessarily have vocal tics, so we call that signpost 'single motor tic disorder' or whatever.

And maybe when the body gets ready to start thinking about puberty, it shakes things up and sees what falls out. So the child, at about 8 years old or so, has a tic for a few months, and that is the end of the story. We call that 'transient tic of childhood'. Not all that tics is Tourette's. So maybe these kids are not even on the same road as TS. If the genetic family has a history of TS or ADHD or OCD, then maybe we should consider that person lucky.

Does that make sense?[/img]
        Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
        http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

Comment

TS&gt;V&lt;Tic Disorder

yes it does,thankyou tourette tiger
          jo

Comment

Working...
          X