Announcement

Collapse

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Tics While Asleep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tics While Asleep

Do you or the person in your life with Tourette Syndrome tic while sleeping?

Are these the same tics that are expressed while awake or are they leg and arm movements?

Are there any vocal tics, like the ones while awake or are the vocalizations different?

Please participate in the attached poll to help us develop some indication of the prevalence of tics during sleep, and feel free to post a comment on your own experience with sleep.

sleep-cartoon.gif
    I tic while asleep
    33.33%
    I DO NOT tic while asleep
    55.56%
    Tics while asleep same as when awake
    11.11%
    Tics while asleep different from when awake
    0.00%
    Have been evaluated for sleep disorders
    0.00%
    Steve
    TouretteLinks Forum

Re: Tics While Asleep

Grinds teeth and frequent nightmares.

Comment

My son doesn't tic while sleeping. However if he wakes up even slightly, as we all do many times throughout the night, I will often hear his vocal tic.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I tic during my sleep -- at least with my most prominent tic, that of gasping suddenly with my diaphragm. I sometimes wake up with a feeling of dying for breath or choking... it could actually be that I don't tic in my sleep, but eventually the premonitory urge wakes me up?

Comment

Or you could have sleep apnea?

Comment

Originally posted by Geneva View Post
            Or you could have sleep apnea?
            Yeah, I've actually suspected that before. Could be.

I should have someone analyze me while sleeping to determine whether I tic. :P

Comment

I should have someone analyze me while sleeping
              A referral to a sleep clinic would be the way to determine why you experience these symptoms, and to get the right treatment.

People with Tourette are just as likely to experience sleep disorders, unrelated to the disorder, as the general population.
              Steve
              TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                A referral to a sleep clinic would be the way to determine why you experience these symptoms, and to get the right treatment.

People with Tourette are just as likely to experience sleep disorders, unrelated to the disorder, as the general population.
                Thank you. I'll make a (mental) note of that.

I used to think it might be sleep apnea, but it's never happened QUITE often enough for me to be extremely concerned... and if I hold off doing the breathing tic long enough, it eventually begins to feel like I'll smother or suffocate, so that's why I've lately thought that it might be the tic or rather, the premonitory urge, happening in my sleep. But I guess I just don't know for sure.

Comment

If you had the sleep test done and it was apnea. Treatment would have you wear a cpap mask that forces hair into your nose while you sleep. I would think that would be sooooo hard to get used. I can't stand anything attached to my face to begin with

Comment

When my son's tics were at their most severe and he had trouble falling asleep, I would lay on the bed next to him. I could tell the second he fell asleep because his body would go entirely limp immediately and he was totally quiet and peaceful. Then I would feel that temporary sense of relief for him. His neurologist told me that tics don't actually stop, but that they just become almost undetectable at night. At that point I was grateful for undetectable. I believe that was about 6 or 7 years ago. He has been on the clonidine or tenex since then with very good results. He will be 18 on Saturday.

Grammy

Comment

Happy Birthday to him Things didn't get "better" for me until I was 27 - 30 .... TS seems to make you a little less mature than average by about 3 yrs or so... I pray he gets continued support from you because even though he is 18 it's really more like 15

Comment

Hi Geneva,

Thank you so much for your reply. Also, thanks for the Happy Birthday. I am so glad you posted about the immaturity aspect. I was not aware of this fact. I was just thinking yesterday( as I have many times over the years) how incredibly immature my son is. I feel like he is 13 or 14 years old. He is over 6 feet tall and 185 pounds. So, physically he is on target. He has no interest in learning how to drive or getting a job. I couldn't wait to get a job and had one at 15 and so did his older sister. I did make him apply at a dozen places but he hasn't heard from any of them. He still likes to watch Power Rangers and other childish things on TV. I think he likes girls but hasn't dated yet. He doesn't like to or want to shave and I have to get after him all the time to do so. I would think at his age that how he looks or what he wears would be important to him. He doesn't care what clothes he wears and tells me to just get something. His dress is very simple and basic, which makes shopping easy for me. He likes to read junior high type books, although he is capable of reading at his age level. I could go on but wanted to give some examples. I am going to look for more info on the maturity thing. I am so glad you mentioned it. If anyone else notices the immaturity aspect I would like to hear more. Thanks again.

Grammy

Comment

I was slow on the liking boys thing. All my friends were having sex at 13 and I was sooooo not interested. I didn't have my first boyfriend until I was 18 and I was too immature then. My grandmother was 30 yrs old when she got married and she was a virgin That was very odd in those days...She was born in 1907 or 1917 - can't remember... She did tell me stories of the Great Depression. She said it didn't effect her or her family because they were already that poor. Small rural area outside of Sneedville, Tn. They were farmers. Her brother who I suspect had TS never married or worked for someone else. He planted and sold tobacco. He would always squinch his nose and blink his eyes. He was a great man and very smart. He taught my aunt to drive a stick shift and would play cards w/ us whenever we went to visit. It was a life right out of "Oh brother where art thou" My mother's brother who I've been told had motor tics was killed in Vietnam. I'm sure the ptsd would have been too much for him if he had made it through anyway. War is hell and he was front line army. He stepped on a land mine and stood there while his troop took cover. That's the way the army told my grandmother her first born son was killed. A hero. He had a closed casket.
                          Last edited by Geneva; August 13, 2013, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Geneva,

I sent you a PM.

Grammy

Comment

I have trouble falling asleep because of my tics, have nightmares/vivid dreams and often scare myself awake or wake up violently. Im not sure if the latter is a tic waking me up or over stimulation but I dont tic in my dreams.

Comment

Working...
                              X