Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
2 of 2 < >

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Do Tic Suppression Strategies Backfire?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Tic Suppression Strategies Backfire?

A frequent concern expressed by parents is that children's tics seem more abundant on returning home from school, especially if the child has been suppressing or holding back her/his tics.

The following is quoted from Managing Tourette Syndrome - A Behavioural Intervention for Children and Adults, Woods, Piacentini et al

This concern likely comes from observations that many parents report increased tic frequencies in their children upon returning from school, where they have been "holding in" their tics throughout the day.

Nevertheless three controlled studies have failed to demonstrate this "rebound effect" in tics in children and adolescents with TS, although successful suppression was obtained (Himle & Woods, 2005: Woods & Himle, 2004; Woods et al, 2008).

Thus existing research does not support the idea of a rebound effect following tic suppression. Perhaps these increases at home following school have more to do with contexual changes than "suppression" occurring throughout the day.

Future research will be needed to explore this possibility.
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Re: Draft: Do Tic Suppression Strategies Backfire?

It may have less to do with "rebound" than with simple fatigue, though.

I'm not a child psychologist but, if we look beyond the narrow focus of tic suppression to more general behavior and emotional and impulse controls, a lot of children seem to deterioriate at the end of a school day. My sense both as a parent and as a psychologist is that this is a wind-down effect with both physical and emotional fatigue playing major roles.

We see this in many adults too, for that matter, where at the end of a long stressful work day where an individual has been "up" and polite to everyone all day s/he arrives home and may display considerable grumpiness or impatience with spouse or children or other loved ones.

I don't think there is anything specific to TS in this regard.

Comment

Re: Draft: Do Tic Suppression Strategies Backfire?

Steve, in our discussion you said,

My sense is that when parents focus on the child, making the child feel self conscious, the child is more apt to tic, or if the parent encourages the child to express his tics, it's a form of negative reinforcement that goes against the motivating factors that help the child suppress.
      This can be another significant factor, certainly.

I recall a young teenage girl some years ago who had OCD, an only child of very doting and concerned parents. In my work with her, one of the things that emerged was the child's irritation about her parents worrying about her all the time and asking seemingly innocuous questions such as, "How are you doing now?" or "How is your day going today?", or sometimes just a statement such as "You seem to be having a good day today". She told me that this immediately reminded her that she was "abnormal" or "different" in some way from other children, which in turn started her worrying about her OCD even though most of the time prior to the question or comment she had not even been thinking about it.

On her behalf, I conveyed this to her parents and requested that they try not to verbalize these questions or thoughts to their daughter and help her to "feel normal" by treating her as any other child without OCD or any other significant mental health issues.

This seemed to work wonders within the family and overall improved both her behaviors and symptoms at home and her relationship with her parents going into the critical adolescent years.

Comment

Working...
      X