Announcement

Collapse

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Loud Vocal Tics.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Vocal Tics.

I'm wondering if anyone is suffering from loud vocal tics ? and if so is there anything your doing or taking that helps controll them, mine are driving me crazy.

Loud Vocal Tics.

I have a vocal tic. I can usually keep it down to a low utterance, though. At work nobody else can really hear it except those who sit right near me (who are used to it by now).

It is more satisfying the louder it is though. I often get up from my desk and go somewhere else for a few minutes if I can't keep it down.

I've only just begun on the medication side of things, and so far I've found nothing helpful.

Unfortunately, as for -controlling- them for your own benefit, there's not much I've been able to do. I can supress them to a certain extent, but as you know, that's not really helpful to the person with TS, aside from preventing potential embarrassment.
    Colin

Comment

Loud Vocal Tics.

Greg,

What is the nature of your vocal tic? Is it a sound, a word or phrase?

Is it your most prevalent tic and are there any conditions under which you are able to suppress or redirect that particular voacl tic?
      Steve
      TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Loud Vocal Tics.

I have several vocal tics. For instance, I have to constantly, loudly clear my throat, at times in rapid succession (like machine gun fire), as well as small coughs. I really can't stop those for long at all. Sometimes I have to make those small noises (like little moans), right now I am having a period when I have to do those (that one I can suppress, but it results in me feeling all fidgety and like I am going to explode with anger). The reason that I have to suppress it is, that my husband will make stupid remarks about 'moaning because I'm turned on' or something like that. It makes me mad. Why can't he just ignore my tics? I used to try and suppress all my tics before finding out about TS in November 2003, and it would result in a lot of angry outbursts. Isn't a little tic like that better and easier to live with?
        German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Comment

Loud Vocal Tics.

Uschi,

A technique frequently used to help others understand and appreciate the fact that TS tics are involuntary and need to be expressed is to ask the person to do an exercise that illustrates that need.

There are two exercises I am familiar with and hopefully others will suggest their own.

I will ask the person to hold their eyes open as long as they can...obviously they can only do that for a while and when they finally blink, I will tell them that's what it's like when a person with TS needs to tic.

The other illustration is when a person has an itch and needs to scratch.

How has your hubby responded to information about TS? Has he ever attended a TS meeting with you where he could meet others with TS?
          Steve
          TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Loud Vocal Tics.

My husband has absolutely no interest whatsoever in finding out anything about TS. I've given him brochures to read which I got from the Tourette Clinic, but he won't read them, he's got 'better' things to do. And there is no way he'd 'waste his time' going to a meeting. He chooses to be ignorant and doesn't care.
            German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Comment

Vocal tics

My vocal tics Steve consume of load clearing of the throat, I also have sertain words or phrasess, and it can be load at times. I'll be seeing a neroligist at the end of July, so i'm hoping there might be something new out there I haven't tried yet, I haven't been on any medacation for a few years now, so i'm hoping when I see the neroligist that he might have something new that will help my vocals.

Comment

Hi

Well Cailean, I'll be seeing a neroligist at the end of July so I'm hoping he might have something new 4 me to try that might help the vocals, and if the Doc finds something that does help, i'll let you know.

Comment

Loud Vocal Tics.

Greg,

We wish you well with your consultation with the neurologist. We'll be looking forward to your report which will certainly be of to Forum members.

Have a look at THIS FORUM POSTING to see if any of the information it contains might help in your upcoming appointment.
                  Steve
                  TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Loud Vocal Tics.

Uschi,

Gaining support from family and those close to us is a perplexing issue for people with TS. Have a look at This Article on the TSFC website, written by Nadyne Gooding.

Though it was written as a guide for parents, it may provide some insights as she addresses the issue of family support.

After reading the article, would you share your comments as this issue is one that affects many people with TS and deserves some discussion.
                    Steve
                    TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Loud Vocal Tics.

Steve, thanks for posting the link to the article. It's an excellent article, and I agree that it deserves some discussion.

After reading it, I can see that my husband is definitely in denial, and the blame issue is a problem, too. He refuses to read anything about TS, because then he has to acknowledge that my tics are not just 'habits', and that TS is not just about tics. He steadfastly claims that any emotional problems I have, or problems with occasional angry outbursts are sin, which the bible says I need to overcome, and has nothing to do with TS or AS.

He also thinks that, if I pray harder and believe more, God would heal me. Therefore it's my own fault I have those problems. That of course absolves him of any responsibility for supporting me, and helping me cope. And of course it comes from my side of the family (my father had AS, and my mother probably TS), so any problems my kids exhibit (some have AS traits, one has a couple of tics, two obviously have ADD, even though undiagnosed) are my fault.

In fact, he refuses to acknowledge any of our kids have problems or could have inherited any of my problems (like dyscalculia, our youngest daughter very obviously has it, but he steadfastly claims that hiring a math tutor for the summer is going to 'fix her little problem with math'), because he can't stand the idea of any of the children not being 'perfect'.

He also likes to keep those things a secret. He doesn't want other people to know that I am not 'normal', because it makes him look bad. So, if I don't suppress my tics when out with him in public, I will be responsible for wrecking his image (or being too blunt or saying the wrong thing, typical things to do for an Aspie).

Anyway, he is a religious fanatic (I am a Christian too, but I am still a reasonable person I believe), who uses the bible as a weapon against me (which is not what it's intended to be at all). I don't believe he is normal, really. Just today I came across a description of Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (it's not OCD), and it describes him perfectly.
                      Obsessive-Compulsive

Like the disorder that shares its name, Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder is seen by a pattern of obsessive cleanliness, perfection, and control. These individuals are often preoccupied with details, rules, and other forms of straightforward indisputable approaches to interacting with the world. They are often inflexible in their ideas, difficult to work with unless others follow their guidelines, and may be considered overly conscientious and devoted to specific activities (such as work or friendships). While the disorder known as OCD has a similar name, that disorder is more concerned with a more specific pattern of obsessions (e.g., germs) and compulsions (e.g., hand washing). The personality disorder is more focused on an overall pattern of perfectionism and control."
                      Extremely rigid in his beliefs, perfectionist, thinking he is perfect, very, very controlling of himself and others (he NEVER raises his voice, since anger is a sin, so he pretends he doesn't get angry). He tries to control my every move, what I think and believe, and what our youngest daughter does, wears, believes etc.

So, he totally can't understand how I can't control these tics, my emotions and sometimes actions. And he wants to stop me. For somebody who is all about control, my problems must be overwhelming, so he denies them. Looking at it from this perspective, his behaviour makes perfect sense (even though it won't make my life any easier).

And telling him that he has a problem and might need help is useless, because he seriously believes he is perfect, and I am mentally ill. This attitude of his has driven me to the brink of suicide many times. Right now I go to a counselor once a week, because that's where I was again just two months ago.

Comment

Loud Vocal Tics.

Uschi
                        I really feel for what u r goin through and I hope that us with ts can help in givin u some support on this bb. From ur posts I think u r doin a great job of educating and helping yurself and yur children. Some people tho r like horses u can lead em to water but u cant make em drink . I tried to commit suicide at 17 and still feel bad about the pain it caused my parents but a main reason that i tried was cuz I was so depressed from not being accepted by anyone. Too bad yur huband blames the ts on sin, my mom and her second husband also blame peoples misfortune on sin but when it comes to bad things happenin to them, then god is only testing them. I sometimes think they have some OCDP as they both follow all the rules and dont seem to :?: any of them.

When I started readin yur last post I was thinking OCDP but yuv ansered that one quite well I think. OCPD not only causes people to follow rules to the extreme it also makes them really mad when others arent following them. A classic example would be a christian, who also has OCDP, wanting everyone to follow every rule in the bible to the letter and upon seein others not doin this he may just say they r all evil sinners. I believe this kind of person may make christians look like fanatics. Im not sayin everyone with OCDP r christians. A coach for example could make playin a sport no fun if he has ocdp and is way to concerned with rules.

I believe in coucelling and hope that it helps u. Does the councelling include any specific cognitive behavourial therapy as I've read this is really good for ts patients. :?:

Best wishes

Comment

Loud Vocal Tics.

I have a vocal tic were I'l squint my eyeys and make a weird screeching noise

Does anyone else feel that vocal tics are harder to hold in than mortor tics

I can hold back my motor tics for twice as long as my vocal tics (screeching throut clearing and coughing)

Comment

Loud Vocal Tics.

Now that I think of it, I also find it easier to hold in motor tics. If I try not to clear my throat, I feel like I'm suffocating, I can't breathe until I've cleared my throat. I also can't talk if I feel like I have to clear my throat.

I can't do anything else instead, either. But with motor tics, I can often do a different one, that isn't as obvious, or I can hold it in for quite a while.

Comment

Loud Vocal Tics.

Originally posted by Uschi
                              Now that I think of it, I also find it easier to hold in motor tics. If I try not to clear my throat, I feel like I'm suffocating, I can't breathe until I've cleared my throat. I also can't talk if I feel like I have to clear my throat.

I can't do anything else instead, either. But with motor tics, I can often do a different one, that isn't as obvious, or I can hold it in for quite a while.
                              Sounds familiar. My vocal tics are much more prevelant than my motor ones, and a lot harder to control.

Meanwhile, my vocal tics have gotten louder and harder to control recently. It definitely makes for some akward social situations, but those can be helped with a dose of humor.
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X