Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
2 of 2 < >

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Palilalia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Palilalia

Originally posted by net5dd View Post
    Cailean, what midnight wrote (and you "Quoted") sounds like OCD, not TS
    I don't get this. In my opinion TS is OCD. You can label them anyway you want but there is no TS without OCD. Motor and vocal tics are all compulsions. It is all obsessive compulsive behavior. And honestly what difference does it make? But if we are so hung up on labels, then realize that Palilalia is in fact categorized under TS.

Palilalia is my most common tic. Everything that has been mentioned in this thread, I take part in plus so much more. I repeat everything. I cannot watch TV without repeating things I hear in my own head or aloud. I will repeat sounds, words, mimick movements, over and over again. There is constantly a loop of words, and songs going in my head at all times. Sometimes, even under my own current thoughts, lies this continupous loop. I repeat things I have just heard or read, or even thought myself. And I also repeat things I heard 25 years ago. Some of these lines of dialogue never go away. Some I repeat for an hour and never call upon them again. In a way I don't mind the palilalia so much. Echolalia I can do without because other people can hear it. But Palilalia is the only tic I can truly hide form the world. It's my own torture. The person in the seat next to me on that long plane ride doesn't have to know about it.
    Check out my tic ridden blog:
    http://ticticticboom.blogspot.com/

Comment

I repeat particular words or phrases that I hear others say. I pick out certain sounding words and have to play with that word, like rhyme it, pun it and incorporate it back into the conversation.
      Swearing is a big tic for me. I have a particular slew of filth in the same order that I must say out loud or and write it. I have trouble not interrupting, because I need to repeat what they are saying in my dirty-ass way.
      If I don't indulge these urges for the most part, then I explode and then everyone can hear my mouth and my tics in my neck and everywhere get real bad. The my body hurts like I got beat up, especially my head.
      NO wonder I am divorced and no boyfriend(s). I don't make a good first date ! LOL

Comment

This is prolly one of the biggest things I do. The number of repetitive phrases and small tunes I seem to repeat over and over and over again staggers. This, for me, is one of the biggest indicators of TS in myself.

Comment

Originally posted by trashtalk View Post
          I repeat particular words or phrases that I hear others say. I pick out certain sounding words and have to play with that word, like rhyme it, pun it and incorporate it back into the conversation. Swearing is a big tic for me.
          This could be written by my husband. In addition to palilalia, echolalia and coprolalia he has lexilalia as well (reads and repeats words he sees in his environment aloud, ranging from streetnames to subtitles on TV). And then at times his has also other echophenomena, like writing down on a piece of paper what he hears from TV or radio. This happens in a random fashion - he never goes to get a pen or a piece of paper in order to do this, but if they are already at hand this might occur.

I found a related article (A stimulus-sensitive tic disorder characterized by echophenomena and coprolalia - Apaydin - 2011 - Movement Disorders - Wiley Online Library ) but they don't even provide the abstract for free.
          Last edited by Outa; January 4, 2012, 10:48 AM.

Comment

OMG just what I need...two more tags for what I see in myself.

I wonder if there's one to describe my constant need to drum on things...

Comment

my constant need to drum on things
              Reverbolallia?

Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
              If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
              Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Reverbolallia?

{rimshot}

Comment

There is a heater with holes on it at our cottage and it is right next to the couch. When J lies on the couch he can constantly wipe the heater with his hand and make it rattle... Here at home the fabric of the couch is a rough one, so he can make noise only by scratching it with his fingernails. Well, there is no room for others on the thing anyway as he kicks, twitches, thrusts his arms, knocks the wall etc. constantly so one must stay out of reach anyway to avoid casualties. I call him Mr. Chopper at times for a good reason.

Comment

Reading through this is interesting... my son has started copying the beginning sounds of words. He'll hear a word that starts with a 't' and then he sits and says 'toy-ee-oh-ee-oy', a word an 's' makes him say 'soy-ee-oh-ee-oy'

Me... I don't know if this is a tic but it's something I've done for as long as I can remember and used to get teased (friendly ribbing ;)) in highschool about it. I hear a word or see a word and I have to either "type" it or "write" it. I sit and "type" the word over and over in the air until another word makes me stop and start a new word... Other times I have to write on my leg (or the nearest leg - it drives my husband nuts - he thinks I'm being nice, rubbing his leg, and he looks down and sees I'm actually 'writing' a word!). Now that I think about it, if I see the word, I have to "write" it on my leg over and over, and if I hear it, then I have to type it. I wonder if there is a word to describe that lol

Comment

my son also repeats things hes herd from tv movies and other people, has since he has been old enough to talk. he also acts out sceens hes seen off of tv shoes or movies. repeadely. and makes sure i watch the whole reanactment, even though it was just on the movie a min ago , several times, i often miss a large part of what ever show were watching so he can act out what he has seen. im glad to see others do the same thing and now i know what its called thanks.:chuncky:

Comment

This seems to happen to me. Although for me I get stuck on conversations and repeat them during alone time or when im not talking to somebody.typically things i feel i should have said or things that urked me the wrong way.I get music stuck in my head very easily and it can be quite annoying to others.only certain parts. Needless to say I can now do an awesome bowie impersonation. I always talk to myself but its very ridgid. The same sentance, topic, or explanation over and over again. Is this a vocal tic?

Comment

The same sentance, topic, or explanation over and over again. Is this a vocal tic?
                          I suppose there's a grey area between tics and compulsions where a tic can slide into being a compulsion and visa versa. The thing with OCD in people with Tourette, as I have learned from professionals is that OCD in people with Tourette Syndrome is usually an attempt to get the action "just right" which might explain the repetition of the phrase or word..to hear it said just right.
                          Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage
                          Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Originally posted by TicTicTicBoom View Post
                            Palilalia is my most common tic. Everything that has been mentioned in this thread, I take part in plus so much more. I repeat everything. I cannot watch TV without repeating things I hear in my own head or aloud. I will repeat sounds, words, mimick movements, over and over again. There is constantly a loop of words, and songs going in my head at all times. Sometimes, even under my own current thoughts, lies this continupous loop. I repeat things I have just heard or read, or even thought myself. And I also repeat things I heard 25 years ago. Some of these lines of dialogue never go away. Some I repeat for an hour and never call upon them again. In a way I don't mind the palilalia so much. Echolalia I can do without because other people can hear it. But Palilalia is the only tic I can truly hide form the world. It's my own torture. The person in the seat next to me on that long plane ride doesn't have to know about it.
                            Been a while since I was here, until I got the notification that this thread was active again. I'd forgotten about it, and about the term, using echolalia to describe my experiences. This is far more accurate.

So I went back for a reread. TicTicTicBoom's experiences described here are what I also go through in my day to day life, and can definitely be described as my own personal hell. In fact, it's been starting to get worse, and the coping mechanisms less effective. One thing though, unlike TicTicTicBoom, my own version of this does reach the outside world. I am constantly asking people if they like ducks, or chickens, or whether or not something runs under DOS, and a very long list of similar shite. Wears them down. Wears me down.

I'm getting close to the end of my time in the military, and wondering if it might finally be the time to start seeking real help. Or not. I'm not done yet.
                            Last edited by hyzenthlay; May 4, 2014, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Hyzenthlay,

Really good to see you back again...thanks for posting.

Hope you won't be a stranger and I hope your military experience is going well.

Do keep our Forum on your list of To-do's...I always appreciate your input!

Steve
                              Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                Hyzenthlay,

Really good to see you back again...thanks for posting.

Hope you won't be a stranger and I hope your military experience is going well.

Do keep our Forum on your list of To-do's...I always appreciate your input!

Steve
                                Oh , I'm not going anywhere, at least not online. Physically, though, I'm now on the west coast.

I just edited that entry, BTW....

Comment

Working...
                                X