Announcement

Collapse

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Palilalia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palilalia

Palilalia is defined as involuntary repetition of words or sentences in talking, and is often associated with Tourette's Syndrome as a complex tic.

In my case, I often end up with a handful of words or phrases which I compulsively repeat or say -- sometimes they occur in every other sentence I say, sometimes they're an automatic response to certain triggers and sometimes they're just out of the blue.

I've had this compulsive behavior my entire life, but I hadn't identified it as a tic, or anything particularly unusual, until recently.

It can be annoying to me, and it drove my fianc?e nuts until she was able to get used to it. :P

Anyone else have similar experiences?
    Colin

Palilalia

I sometimes repeat things but Im not sure if it is a tic or what. I love listening to stand up comedians and I repeat alot of what they say but is that a tic or is it normal to repeat a joke right after you hear it?
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

Palilalia

Adam do you repeat it to yourself or do you repeat it to others? I remember being younger and hearing how to spell "F..." for the first time. I also remember repeating it over and over and over again ie the spelling that is. I got in trouble for it but did not even realize I was repeating it. Now that hindsight is 20/20, I often wonder where that came from? was it normal to repeat to remember or was it a need back then to just repeat and repeat...
      Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Palilalia

No, I guess I dont do it a ton when other people are around and its not always loud like im speaking to someone. I dont really know if its a tic. I dont even notice it and I just thought about it when this thread opened up.
        The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

Palilalia

i have done this but not alot that it becomes a problem,i do repeat my own words and others but i do it under my breath,sometimes my husband has asked me why am i talking to myself,sometimes my kids ask,"what are you saying mummy?"
          but i dont do it out loud,i find that accents fascinate me so if i hear a certain word that is said in a new way i will become fascinated by it and will repeat it over and over until i am bored with it,sometimes i repeat sentences over and over ,but again,under my breath,very quietly so usually no one can hear me

i just thought everyone does this from time to time dont they ?
          jo

Comment

Palilalia

Originally posted by Midnight
            accents fascinate me so if i hear a certain word that is said in a new way i will become fascinated by it and will repeat it over and over until i am bored with it,sometimes i repeat sentences over and over ,but again,under my breath,very quietly so usually no one can hear me
            I do it aloud. I try to constrain myself if it's likely to offend someone though...
            Colin

Comment

Palilalia

What about music in your mind's ear?

Do you sometimes get stuck on a melody which repeats over and over, and instead of humming or singing the song you grind your teeth to the notes or tap or flick fingers?

Steve
              Steve
              TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Palilalia

i know that i sometimes make a noise by humming and touching my teeth together so it makes a kind of humming sound through the vibrations of my teeth,if you do this then you will know what i mean,i cant explain it,i hate it but i have to do it.it is almost as annoying as fingers down the blackboard,ewwww :evil:
                jo

Comment

Palilalia

humming and touching my teeth together so it makes a kind of humming sound through the vibrations of my teeth
                  That sounds familiar and you described it very well!

Do you repeat actual phrases or words, Midnight? In what circumstances?
                  Steve
                  TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Palilalia

My friend's son who is not 6 yet is not diagnosed with anything but has an older brother who has Tourette plus has been saying "coca-coca-coca cola" and repeatedly doing this. His mom said to me she thinks it's a vocal tic... his dad says he's just doing it. :roll: His mom thinks it's funny and probably TS while his dad thinks it's normal :? So they are all going to conference this year :D
                    Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Palilalia

i only repeat my own words really but if i hear something that is strange to me like an accent i will repeat something they have said quietly under my breath,i dont do this often,ionly if i say or hear something that really grips me,my son (age 7) also does this and sometimes i can hear his little whispers,he will either repeat his own or someone elses words,and usually the last one or two words of the sentence
                      jo

Comment

Palilalia

Cailean, what midnight wrote (and you "Quoted") sounds like OCD, not TS

Comment

Palilalia

sounds like OCD, not TS
                          why do you say so?

Comment

palilalia info

Midnight,

My husband and I recently discovered that this "tic" exists - our son has been repeating the last few words of his sentences since last year, and none of his teachers knew about palilalia. He has mild ADD and a ton of food/animal allergies. We are looking for info on the subject -any ideas? So far any searches on the web have proven fruitless - just basic definitions of the word without causes, treatment, etc...

Comment

Palilalia

Welcome to the TSFC forum!

My son has some of the same concerns.

It is important not to single it out and depending on the age and understanding the condition different things work for different people.

My son changes positions, like getting up from the computer and walking away for a bit.
                              Sometimes he focuses on something else and it helps.

If it is becoming a problem with school and you have a local chapter in your area a in service program can sometimes help the teaching staff and students better understand it so your child is not singled out.

It certainly helped in our case.
                              PJK

Comment

Working...
                              X