Announcement

Collapse

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Extremely Complex Coprolalia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely Complex Coprolalia

Hey there, I am Noah

On bad days I say obscene phrases every few seconds.

These phrases can appear to blend, therefore, I have some tics that are two sentences long (13 words), containing seven different profanities.

This has caused people to mistake the coprolalia for voluntary swearing, even a nurse at the hospital yelled at me about these vulgarities.

I am wondering if anyone else has such complex coprolalia, that people mistake it as real.
    Every feeling can be logically simulated.

Re: Extremely Complex Coprolalia

Hi Noah!

Glad you found this forum. Welcome to you!

From what you wrote, it sounds like your difficulties with coprolalia are quite a bit more severe than most. I think that people are always going to assume that anyone that's cursing is doing it on purpose. Unless you tell them otherwise.

Have you explained to everyone you see on a daily basis that you have Tourette? Have you had problems with people not believing you when you tell them it's not something you can voluntarily control?

For random encounters with strangers it's a little trickier. One thing you can try is carrying some small cards that read something like, "I have a neurological condition called Tourette Syndrome. It causes me to say things I don't mean, and this is not something I can control. Please read about Tourette Syndrome on the Internet and just be glad it's not you!"

Twidget

Comment

I cannot thank you enough Twidget, for giving me the idea with the cards.

Comment

Hi, I just found your post, and I empathize with you.
        My 10 year son has had coprolalia since he could speak. When he was 3 I found it upsetting to watch him in gymnastics. He would stand behind someone in line and repetitively talk about their body parts. When he was 4 he sung very loudly on a bus "Dave likes to wear dirty underwear!" The whole bus laughed. In grade two he fixated on several words: diaper, mama, peanut butter, hamburger. He would go up to different kids and say something involving one to all of the words, as well as have them replace other words in his sentences. The kids laughed, which made him happy, until they imitated his phrases back. Then he cried.

Currently, he does a whole string of obscenities which we ignore at home. When we are out, I try to distract him with a game or discuss something else. I really interrupt him when the coprolalia starts. He seems worse with more stimulation. At disneyworld 1 1/2 years ago, we went through almost an entire park with him shouting P####. We just tried to think of replacement words that were a little more kid friendly, and he tried hard to use them.

When did you develop coprolalia? Have you found any useful advice from psychologists? Or not useful? Have your friends or family been able to help decrease the embarrassment in any way? I would love to know how to help with it in the least embarrassing way possible. So far we have able to ignore the withering looks of judgemental bystanders when these incidents occur to a certain extent. As my little guy gets older this might not hold.

Comment

Thank you, Mom with 2 boys, it's nice to know I am not alone with this.

My coprolalia didn't start until I was 16 years old. I guess I am pretty lucky that it started so late.

I am also lucky that I get 'breaks' from the coprolalia (my coprolalia happens in fits that I call tic attacks)

Comment

My daughter has very long verbal tics as well. Sometimes I am talking to her and she will tell me to forget everything she just said because it was a tic. Then she'll have a tic that says ''No it wasn't.'' It's a good thing we have a good sense of humor. lol

Comment

Working...
            X