Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
2 of 2 < >

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Managing Echolalia at School

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing Echolalia at School

Yesterday my son (8th grade) experienced some echolalia and echopraxia at school. His German teacher showed a video about being German, and for some reason, maybe to be honest and include a tiny bit of history, the video included a short clip of Hitler giving a rousing speech and the huge crowd shouting "Sig heil!". So here comes the kid with the Tourette's (my son), repeating the gesture and the phrase. He didn't shout it, but the teacher reacted as though someone had just slapped her. I do understand her reaction -- she was partly raised in Germany, and I do understand that many modern-day Germans experience an intense negative reaction to such things. My spouse is German and I'm Jewish. So these are things we've talked about. My son couldn't be farther, politically, from being a neo-Nazi. He just has tics.

His teacher has supposedly viewed a Tourette in the Classroom training webinar. I think she just didn't have a chance to think before she reacted ("Never, never say that!!").

I do kind of wonder why she showed that particular video.... But I didn't include my musing in my email to her. I just expressed regret for what had happened, and explained echolalia and echopraxia, and attached my new favorite Tourette flyer (from the UK):

key-facts-for-teachers-Sep2016.pdf

By the way, I don't think there's much my son could have done to prevent it. He didn't see it coming.

It seems like this is one of those situations where adjusting the environment would be the most helpful thing. If the teacher has some particular educational reason for showing it, it would be helpful to provide a calm explanation ahead of time. I think that anything that can lower the emotional tone can help. The more surprised or emotionally stimulated my son is, the more prone he is to vocal tics.

My son has more vocal tics than movement tics. I find that the vocal tics are harder for the teachers to understand.

I would have thought the ones that don't get repeated much, or that don't get repeated at all, would be harder for the teachers to recognize as tics. But the truth is that they don't figure out the very repetitive ones either.

We're working on getting better participation rates with the training.
    Last edited by aparente001; March 3, 2017, 11:00 PM.
Working...
X