Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
2 of 2 < >

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Yay, coprolalia.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yay, coprolalia.

My spouse definitely is coprolalic. If there are no children or unknown people around he just plainly swears (loud!), but very often he chooses a more delicate way to obey his urge. For example he uses words which have some kind of a link or association with the prohibited issue (instead of saying "s--t" he says "trousers", then he elaborates it further into "button of the trousers", then into "the button of the trousers of John the Long" and eventually applies a self made melody with it. After this process is fully accomplished he can replace shouting out the simple curse by singing a funny little fragment of a song - no more percieved by others as offensive or rude, but better as odd or even funny. I would consider this a good example of "redirecting", if I have understood the meaning correctly.

He must have at least 10 of these in his active repertoaire, and if he manages to come up with a good new one it will take the first place on his "playinglist" for even a few years to come. They all have some link with a "prohibited" theme - that's what fuels them for sure - but sometimes even I can't understand the underlying associations.

Right now I've become so annoyed with one of them that I promised to pay him quite a sum if he manages to get rid of it even for a week, but unfortunately the money has been spared so far...

I don't personally have a huge problem with this thing: sometimes it happens that I swear real loud when some embarrasing memory pops into my mind all of a sudden - shouting it in a bus, for example, with my on name added to the end is somewhat embarrasing and makes me want to step out on the next stop.
    Last edited by Outa; December 30, 2011, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Hi Outa,
      Thank you for the great example of redirecting.
      I'm sure your husband "can't understand the underlying associations" as well sometimes.
      Thank you for supporting him through all these embarrassing moments.
      Tina
      Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
      TSFC Membership

Comment

Re: yay, coprolalia.

Well, he doesn't really need my support as he doesn't get all that embarrased by most of the time. If he manages to modify his outburst he takes it as a controlled one and those don't really count for him. All the people we have frequent contact with know that he is a bit eccentric, but he is well tolerated or even respected and is being more amused than hurt when people start calling him "Johnny" when he has repeated the phrase containing that name long enouhg...

His father was very similar to him (even according to real earwitnesses) and I suppose it has helped him accepting himself as he is.

Edit: two of his brothers have tics as well, the other one grabbing his privates very often with very little control over that. It hasn't troubled him all that terribly much either - in a small community having a few "odd ways" doesn't really become such a burden as in a big city or a job where one has to meet new people all the time. People get used to such things, and the potentials a person has are not to be wasted because of them.
        Last edited by Outa; January 3, 2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Outa
          in a small community having a few "odd ways" doesn't really become such a burden as in a big city or a job where one has to meet new people all the time.
          I believe you make a very important point that can benefit most of us.

The fact of the matter is that every person on earth has some kind of unique personal mannerism or behaviour. It may be noticeable or perhaps it may not be. Some may find it amusing, others may take offense and others will just see it as what "that person" does and may even be known for.

These behaviours or mannerisms consitute the character or personality of each of us, and if one of us happens to have Tourette, and we express our tics, then that is our unique behaviour or mannerism.

In other words, it is part of who we are

In the same way as one person may part their hair in the middle, another may pull on their ear lobe periodically, while someone else may have a laugh that would "wake up the dead" and others sneeze in very peculiar ways.

People should not be identified by their Tourette tics, in the same way we don't identify a person who has red hair, or a port wine stain on their face, or a deformed hand from birth.

I would add, Outa, that people should behave in Cities with the same manners and respect to others as they obviously do in your home town.
          Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
          If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
          Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

I should add that J does not swear at people - the nasty words just shoot out of the blue and are not triggered by any external stimuli. It is at times a bit confusing as he lies on the couch in a seemingly calm state and then abruptly shouts the word with the volume one might expect from someone who has just hit himself with an axe by mistake. I even tend to think that when he knows to "be on guard" (there is a bout of tic-activity already underlying) he manages to modify the outburst, but sometimes the urge takes him by surprise (oh, well maybe 10 times a day at least).

I'm never morally offended by his words but at times it gets tiresome for my brain - it's like living with fire alarm device which is out of order.

Comment

Hi Outa,

The vocal tic, coprolalia, is known as the swearing tic, but encompasses not only swear words but other unacceptable words such as racial slurs or demeaning insults.

If your husband is lying on the couch in a calm and relaxed state, he probably does not feel the need to hold in or redirect the words that pop out, especially if the urge takes him by surprise. Living with someone with Tourette can be a bit of a double-edged sword - you want them to feel accepted and loved so they are comfortable and "at home" but at the same time, it sounds like your ear-drums are taking a bit of a pounding.

Maybe there's a gentle way to ask him to modify his outbursts when you're close -- without making him feel stressed about releasing his tics in what he obviouslly knows is a "safe" environment.
              Tina, Forum Moderator, TSFC Staff Liaison

TSFC Homepage
              TSFC Membership

Comment

I think he's already doing his best. I can not ask him to be reserved all the time - having a tic disorder myself I happen to know how consuming staying alert can be.

Now he got a new coprolalic tic in the form of "sex". This is in a way worse than the previous ones, because most people do swear at times but honestly no one shouts "sex". I hope it will not star on his top ten for a longer time.

Comment

I know this reply is a little late, trying to catch up to threads and thought I would add to this. Megan also has this same tic. At first she just had unusual vocal tics like barking like a dog, meowing like a cat, or just make odd noises. But then she started to use swear words that she wouldn't ever use before. She would use the "F" word, and the "S" word. She also uses words like "SL*T" in phrases, which sometimes sound funny. When we go out anywhere, like a restaraunt, we do get the "looks" from people when she uses words, but how we manage is by still engaging Megan into conversations and not go silent when she makes these outbursts, so it might make her feel uncomfortable when she can hear what she says and then no one says anything. I just continue talking, almost like she was just saying something to the conversation. Or I might make light about it, which she laughs. At first it was a little uncomfortable for myself taking her out when she did this, I was talking to the waiters letting them know she has Tourette, but if they ask I will have Megan educate them. As now I don't want to go and have the need to go into places and sort of forewarn people. I thought I needed to do that. Now I don't do that anymore. If people stare I will let them know she has Tourette and leave it at that. If they want to know more Megan can educate them.

I know it may seem very difficult in dealing with this than the other vocal tics, somehow that may be manageable. But to Megan with Tourette it is still a tic, no matter what she says or how she says it, so I take that way of looking at it as well. And I don't look at it as "what will others think", I think how can I help Megan and make her comfortable.

That is my two cents worth.

Comment

Watching this thread, because I identify with it. I've never really been open about it much, but I do this in spades. It's not just so much the stereotypical quick, random outburst of swearies that I do. It's the constantly rotating, constantly evolving stuff that I try to keep most people from hearing. But when I'm alone, or in comfortable surroundings i.e. people that do know, I let fly, and it ain't pretty. Racist Nazi stuff, repetitive rhymes with racist stuff in them, loud racist and obscene outbursts...drives me crazy inside, but I have to let it go somewhere, My partner controls it by gently telling me that I'm ticcing, which does stop me, but it also sends me into a state of remorse, where I feel I have to go and hide away. I'm not racist...I'm anything but...so why in the world am I repeating all this stuff?

Comment

so why in the world am I repeating all this stuff?
                      I think it's just the nature of Tourette; and the fact that you have comfortable times and places where you can express your tics, even if the tics happen to be coprolalia, I believe your best advice would be to allow yourself to express your coprolalia and whatever other tics you might need to express, without one bit of remorse.

I have come close to that point myself, and I say close, because I, like you, will occasionally feel a passing sense of remorse when I express my vocal tics when I am alone, but having met some wonderful younger people with Tourette, who have grown up in much more understanding and informed surroundings, and who feel comfortable enough with their tics to express them without restraint, I realize the remorse I feel stems back to the time when I was being punished as a child for my tics.

Did you happen to grow up, like me, in an atmosphere of misunderstanding and ignorance about Tourette that may account for your apprehensions, Hyzenthlay?
                      Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
                      If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
                      Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

hyzenthlay i know how you feel. I was diagnosed with TS when i was 5 and have had a foul mouth ever since. ha!
                        i'll be out in public and have a sudden urge to yell anything racist, mostly i have a tic where i see someone and yell out what country i think they are from. This can be hard to deal with in a big city but I don't think it makes us racist or means that we have racist thoughts. I know for myself my tics are mostly about pushing limits and boundaries. things that are usually taboo

Comment

I didn't get my under-the-table diag until I was an adult. So I grew up in a world where what I was dealing with didn't really have a name. People just thought I was weird. Coprolalia had yet to come onto the scene, which made having Tourette useful to me. I was able to keep people seeing me as weird, but essentially harmless, so, although it made making any friends difficult, people left me relatively alone. This kept them from finding out what else was going on inside me, namely, my transsexuality that I had known about since I was very young. Once in a while, effects of either or both of these would bubble to the surface, and I would get beat up for my trouble, but over all, growing up with both meant a life of solitude. Because there wasn't really any copro, remorse didn't really come into it at the time.

---------- Post Merged at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:32 PM ----------

@ Spikey: That sounds familiar...trying to push boundaries...let's see just how outrageous I can be, just as long as I'm alone.

Comment

Working...
                          X