Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
2 of 2 < >

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Yay, coprolalia.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay, coprolalia.

I've never had any coprolalia until recently. Now, I've developed an ongoing swearing tic, and it feels like the start of something fun.

By fun, I mean challenging. And by challenging, I mean difficult. I'm hoping its temporary, but it's extremely difficult not to do this at work, and in other social situations.

It seems about right, though. My TS has been building up steadily for the past couple of years... I suppose this may just be a new level.
    Colin

yay, coprolalia.

Cailean,

How has been your ability to re direct or suppress in the past? Are you able to employ these same stategies to suppress the newly emerging coprolalia?

Sometimes trying to whisper the word or phrase can provide sufficient "satisfaction" to get by.

Has it caused you any difficulty so far?
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

yay, coprolalia.

So far, I've been able to supress it in public -- or at least reduce it to an inaudible whisper. I'm concerned about it at work though... but so far, it's only been annoying.
      Colin

Comment

yay, coprolalia.

I find I'll swear at people in my head, or think racist thoughts (which frighten me, because I am not in the least racist), but this far I have been able to never say them (or just whisper them). I hope it stays that way! I can't seem to stop the thoughts, and find them distressing, because I am afraid that some day I'll have to say them out loud, and I think I wouldn't go out any more than.

Cailean, I hope it won't get worse for you.
        German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Comment

yay, coprolalia.

I'm already there with my son.

I had to take him to the mall to pick up his sister from work recently.

What he says repeatedly is not appropriate and often he whispers it to get the release.

Someone heard him and made their opinion clear to the store. We were not even in that store but my daughter work's there.

I told her next time someone has an opinion tell them that he has TS and it was not directed at them.

This is a current problem, though in the past we thought it was due to other factors and ruled out. A pattern has emerged they we can not deny so here we go.... :oops:

I am surprised over others reactions to think they would believe someone would let a 12 year old run around the mall and say words while standing by a parent....obviously there is good reason other people can't see through.
          PJK

Comment

yay, coprolalia.

I too, like uschi, have had those tics mentally and it sorta makes me nervous cause I dont want to think them and I dont want to accidentally say them out loud.
            The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

yay, coprolalia.

Well, mine have now escalated to loud yelling in the office.

Something along the lines of "F$&#... yes....NO!"

Frequently.

Fortunately (i guess) it's in a bit of an odd scratchy voice so it's not that easy to tell what I'm saying.

I hate this.
              Colin

Comment

yay, coprolalia.

Cailean:

Could stressing over them getting worse make them worse?

I know stress is a factor with my son. It is obvious that being out in public or groups pushes him to far sometimes and always in public this happens to him now.

You know the feeling that you don't want something to happen and you keep telling yourself you wont let it happen and then it does?

I've seen this with my son's head and neck tic's...it is like a trigger that he knows is there and does not want it to surface, then it does and it just seems to be worse when it does.

Usually when words come they are at a lower whisper or tone. They can still be heard but only by someone close by or passing by him. I guess this makes it seem they are directed at the person closest to him.

Maybe you can find a way to redirect them or possibly leaving the surroundings would help for a short bit until you feel better.

What kind of lighting do you have in the office?

It can make a difference to some with TS. It certainly has with my son in a school setting. For him being near a large window helps offset the lighting a bit.

Maybe if you can figure out the trigger it will help. You are not alone in this.

Please keep us posted, talking it out sometimes helps find the answers we need.
                PJK

Comment

How do you want others to respond to you?

I have recently moved into a position at work and in this job I have frequent interaction with a man who has extremely frequent profane verbal tics. They are contextual (the n word when he is talking to the Indian employees and generally sexual whenever he is talking to me --the only woman that has interface with the group at all-- I hear a LOT of c*** ) He clearly has Tourette's as they are accompanied by other tics that I have seen more frequently but are far less intrusive to the work setting. I had a three-hour meeting with him yesterday and I think I did pretty well to just keep a straight face and ignore the outbursts--is that what I should do?

This particular man is extremely talented in his area of expertise which does not require customer interaction (where the explanations required would be too frequent). I really just want to know from those of you who suffer with TS how you would want to be treated in this sort of professional setting. The sexual nature of the comments does make it a little interesting for me to try and ignore ( I am a pretty sheltered minister's wife!) But I am very willing to do whatever will make him the most comfortable so let me know what you think. Thanks!

Comment

yay, coprolalia.

Welcome vschreiner and thank you for your interest in learning more about your colleague who appears to be afflicted with Tourette.

The tics emanate from a part of the brain which in the general population controls inhibitions. The neurological disorder results in the person with Tourette to utter words or phrases which are opposite to what the situation would call for.

Coprolalia typically involves sexual words or other forms of denigrating remarks...the opposite of what one would want to say.

The person with Tourette is fully aware of what is being said, but the compulsion is so overwhelming, like trying to hold back a sneeze or not blinking your eyes, that the remark is blurted out.

In your conversation with the man, did you ask him straight out about his Tourette? Has he been diagnosed or is he a person unaware that a disorder called Tourette Syndrome exists and that he may be afflicted?

If he is aware of his diagnosis, and is informed about the disorder, the best approach would be to interact with the man as you would anyone else and to filter out the tics...in the same way one would filter the speech of someone who would stutter.

You may wish to have an employee meeting to explain Tourette, perhaps hand out some literature which we can help you with, along with some other resources we can discuss later.

If he is unaware of his potential diagnosis, your challenge becomes more complicated. He may be living with denial, or shame in which case he may require some counseling or at least be pointed to a Tourette information or support source...if he is willing to listen.

You may wish to provide him with a "safe and secluded" workspace, where his can feel free to tic while not disturbing his co workers.

Lets keep this conversation going, as we will be pleased to work with you.

Thank you for your willingness to help your co worker to deal with his disorder with dignity.

Will look forward to hearing form you.
                    Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage
                    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

yay, coprolalia.

Welcome vschreiner to the TSFC forum.

I am glad you found the forum to provide some answers and direction.

Steve has provided you with some good advice and information.

My son has TS and he too can say inappropriate words or phases. He has tried to manage them by whispering them instead of yelling them like some individuals can do.

I usually try to remove him from the environment he is in to help find some relief, like a crowded mall.

Having a private place to work them out does make a difference and the individual saying these words and phrases can feel guilty and more stresses by his/her own behavior.

Your response was the right approach and by addressing the TS with him you may find he has some relief by knowing it is alright and the words and phrases may lesson as his comfort level raises. The actual meeting may cause more words or phases then you'd expect but that is only a response to stress. Enforcing his attributes to your company will help his self-esteem and help the meeting not feel like a direct attack. It may be something he has always lived with and never really understood or thought that there were options to help him through it.

The individual you are speaking of can be provided some support and possibly in time learn how to redirect his verbal tics and could even find "triggers" that cause more tics like (possibly) caffeine intake. I hope you will mention the forum and there maybe a local chapter in your area that could help with other staff members better understanding TS and help your employee.

Please keep us posted on your progress and spend some time in the vocal tics section of the forum to learn about others experiences.

I am glad you found us and most importantly find it very supportive that you would take time to better understand and offer help to your employee.
                      PJK

Comment

yay, coprolalia.

Hi!! Good to meet you!

I'd imagine, if this guy has this type/amount of ticcing, that he already knows he has TS.. I'd sure hope so!! (though I'd imagine it IS possible he doesn't.. people can come up with some pretty creative 'justifications' for their ticcing.

I'm wondering if people are having a problem with his ticcing? or if you're just curious? From your post it sounds more to me like you're just curious???

Steve said
                        you may wish to provide him with a "safe and secluded" workspace, where his can feel free to tic while not disturbing his co workers.
                        however it may also be that he doesn't WANT to be secluded. You mentioned that you were a newcomer there (at least to your new position) but didn't mention how long he had been there... I'd guess that everyone else may just be used to it and he's possibly quite comfortable with things as they are??

PJK also said
                        The individual you are speaking of can be provided some support and possibly in time learn how to redirect his verbal tics and could even find "triggers" that cause more tics like caffeine intake.
                        but to be honest, I don't know if I'd expect an adult to in time learn how to direct his verbal tics. I think this is a skill that we mostly perfect as we're growing towards adulthood. since he's in the workforce, I'd kind of guess his skill in this area is already as developed as it's going to get. ????

(also wanted to add that caffeine isn't a trigger for everyone... it isn't for me.... yet for me, dehydration/thirst is a big one and I've never heard anyone else mention it). *shrug??*

Anyway, it seems like you're really just interested in how YOU should deal with it, so to answer your question, yes, I'd want you to just ignore the verbal tics if I happened to have that particular issue. I think it's good to take cues from the person in question, and it kinda sounds like he's trying to ignore it, so that's probably the best bet...
                        some people are very uncomfortable talking about their Tourette Syndrome, but others aren't. If you are interested, I don't think it would hurt to at least mention it to him with a question or two and see how he responds.

Nice to meet you!!! :D
                        :D

Comment

yay, coprolalia.

however it may also be that he doesn't WANT to be secluded
                          Very good point, Haejinn and I agree that a dialogue with the man in question would be the best course of action. Ater all, people with Tourette are just like anyone else in the general population, except for the disorder..which does not impair their judgement, emotions or feelings.

If I were the man in question, I would want my workplace colleagues to deal with me in the same way as they would anyone else in their workplace.

If I happen to tic in front of them, I would expect that it might catch their attention, and perhaps even startle them...but if they knew about Tourette and if I were a good friend and work coleague, I would not be upset if they happened to smile, look surprised or otherwise react to an unexpected outburst of tics, but then I would hope they would just let it go by without further incident.

I feel the personal relationship a person with Tourette establishes pro actively will often determine how others respond to tic expressions.
                          Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage

Comment

yay, coprolalia.

Very well said
                            PJK

Comment

Re: yay, coprolalia.

Is this coprolalia:

My stepson consistently talks about taboo subject matter. The topics have been consistent for five years—Hitler, Satan, homosexuality, misogyny, physical threats—and always appear in the social environments where these conversations are most taboo:
                              · He has problems with schooling because he calls female teachers whores, or stupid, and threatens them. This does not happen with male teachers, and respect to women was stressed in his youth.
                              · He cannot visit he grandparents often because they are religious, and is compelled to discuss Satan Worship.
                              · Around his peers he is compelled to make homosexual gestures and talk about transvestitism

Because he repeatedly uses these phrases in conversation —i.e. “What if Hitler was gay?”—the behaviors appear to be a perseverative interest, but perhaps they result from unwanted (even feared) impulses?

The same vulgar topics show up in compulsive writing. When expressing these opinions—in writing or vocally—he is often agitated or anxious, clearing his throat, and flapping his left hand axially.

He will not share what he is thinking. Embarrassment over confrontation often leads to meltdown behavior and bouts of pure rage. I suspect he hides his compulsions in conversation and intent. Perhaps playing “bad boy” prevents him from feeling defective.

We need help defining the behavior, to get him back to school. I suspect embarrassment may be generating the anger.

Comment

Working...
                              X