Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
2 of 2 < >

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

Yes or No??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes or No??

Hi, I was wondering if saying Ahh Ama is a form of vocal tic? Could be just a way of saying Ahhhh. My son started this about 2 weeks ago and I don't know if he realizes that he is saying it. I don't want to mention it to him because I made the mistake of mentioning arm movement once, needless to say never again. He does it all the time, no matter what he is saying. Do you think it is a Tic? Steph

Yes or No??

Steph:

By my personal experience, if it is repetitive yet comes and goes then (Yes) it could be a tic.

Never fear, it will likely stop when it is ready and another may surface at a later date.

My son repeats phrases at times and usually it is rare if it lasts more then 2 - 3 weeks then it is over. We now go through this with inappropriate words or phrases too.

I made the mistake of saying something recently because i thought what he was saying had something to do with a game he was playing..He did not respond defensively like he used too but then I play it down quickly and move on.

The arm movements you have mentioned happen with him too....but a year later it now comes and goes.

I would keep a journal about concerns like these and speak to the Doctor about them to keep him informed.
    As your son reaches puberty you will likely see some changes in his tics.
    PJK

Comment

Yes or No??

Yeah, there's a good chance it's a tic. I have a handful of tics that I've always had... then I have others that come and go. Some of them last a couple of days, some a few weeks, some a few months.

It certainly sounds like a tic to me.
      Colin

Comment

Yes or No??

I agree, it sounds like it could be a vocal tic. There's a thing that can be done while making the ahhh sound in the throat which changes the pitch in the ears.

Difficult to explain, unless you try it, but there could be a muscular "satisfaction" factor involved similar to tics involving other muscle groups where extensions to the extreme limits of the muscle movement are explored.

Steph, you may want to gradually let your son know that it's OK and safe to discuss his tics with you without fearing criticism. He may be feeling embarrassed or unsure of your reaction at this early stage, but if he knows Mom won't be judgmental, he may find it easier to talk to you. More important, as his comfort factor increases at home, he will be able to discuss his Tourette with others, which will be valuable as he grows up and increases his socializing.
        Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
        If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
        Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Yes or No??

yep, thats a definate vocal tic

Comment

Yes or No??

Hi Steph
            That does sound like a vocal tic. I have three vocal tics, but they are all just high pitched sqeaks, throat clearing , and sometimes I say hmm hmm but that one comes and goes (thank goodness for that eh?) I also have a little cough. I don't repeat phrases or peoples words though so that's some goods new right there!! I find the vocal tics come and go quite frequently so maybe he won't have this one for long.

Oh yeah, I just wanted to applaud you on all the research you've done for your son. He'll appreciate it when he's older and realizes all the support you've given him. My mom was not supportive and actually punished me for my tics (which made them worse anyway) :P . Just him knowing that you support and understand him will give him so much more confidence than other kids who don't have the same love and caring of their parents. Anyway keep up the good work :D

Kim

Comment

Yes or No??

Thank you Kim,

I am a nursing student, so I do research all the time for school because nursing is research based. Which means we don't do anything unless there is research to back up that it is therapeutic for the client.

I am so sorry that your Mom punished you for your ticcs. I know there are others here that has had that happen to also. I hope that your self esteem has not been affected by the negative comments.

I support and love my son very much and I have the greatest respect for all people with Tourette Syndrome because of the difficulties they have faced in their life. Steph

Comment

Yes or No??

saying Ahh Ama is a form of vocal tic
                My son still says this! It seems to be a vocal tic that he will have for a while.

It seems his motor tics come and go more often.

Has anyone else have a vocal tic that lasted a long time?

Comment

Yes or No??

Originally posted by Stephanie
                  Has anyone else have a vocal tic that lasted a long time?
                  Yes.

I have one vocal tic, which is sort of an "ahh" sound, which is the one and only tic I have had consistently. I've had this tic since I was about 8 or so, and it hasn't stopped since. This even started before blinking tics kicked in.

My vocal tics tend to last longer than my motor tics, in most cases.
                  Colin

Comment

Yes or No??

Stephanie

My son has clicks and chirps that have been with him since age 3. Some come and go while others become worse and then improve.
                    PJK

Comment

Yes or No??

The journal idea is definitely a good one, especially if you wonder / doubt what is a symtpom and what is not. Don't guess. See what the journal says after you've filled it out for a few months.

Also, don't fret. Tics are what TS is all about. If you can teach your son to redirect, cover, or change the tic, it might be helpful at school and socially. Gord Brown is famous for changing vocal tics, and I've had some small experience redirecting motor tics.

And I would not completely avoid talking about the tics. He's got to learn to talk about them, to deal with them, in order to live with them. However, I also lean away from discussing them, so I applaud you for being sensitive to that. Your reactions could be MUCH worse.
                      Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
                      http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

Comment

Working...
                      X