Announcement

Collapse

Please Read This Before Posting in Tic Parade

Your input into the Tic Parade will provide valuable insights for parents of children with Tourette, adults with Tourette in addition to health professionals treating persons with Tourette.

The Tic Parade is a library or encyclopedia of Tourette tics in which each tic is described by the person who experiences or observes that tic.

Some tics are preceded by an urge or sensation in the affected muscle group, commonly called a premonitory urge. Some with TS will describe a need to complete a tic in a certain way or a certain number of times in order to relieve the urge or decrease the sensation.

By providing insights into what is observed as well as what is experienced might help the person with the disorder as well as those living with the person cope and know how to deal with their tics.

When posting the description of the tic you wish to discuss, go to the appropriate Forum section Head and Neck, Torso, Limbs or Vocal and title your message with one or two words that describe the tic.

For example some topic titles could be:
  • Barking
  • Finger Flicking
  • Head Twisting
  • Shoulder Rolling
  • Choking Sounds
  • Abdomen Twitch

When discussing coprolalia, please use common sense in describing the nature of the words or terms being used. Although some latitude will be allowed in the use of the actual word or term, any exaggerated or flagrant use of profanity on the Forum will not be tolerated and postings will be removed.

Coprolalia - Involuntary utterances of obscene or inappropriate statements or words

See also Overview of Tourette Tics
See more
See less

The dry strained cough

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dry strained cough

Recently due to stress my son is experiencing a dry strained hacking cough. There is no medical reason for this.

I have seen this before in him years ago when stress was at its worst for him.

Does anyone have any suggestions to ease the cough. I am concerned his throat will be raw after a few more days of this.
    PJK

The dry strained cough

Hi, my son does this and I tell him to concentrate on his breathing. I will look him in the eyes and deep breathe with him and sometimes this will get him to stop coughing but sometimes he coughs anyway. I hope it helps, Steph

Comment

The dry strained cough

PJK,

Because many medications interact with ingredients found in cough preparations, you would probably want to avoid syrups containing decongestants and antihistamines.

However, a cough syrup containing only an anti tussive ( anti cough) like dextromethorphan is not likely to result in drug interactions. I would double check, however with your doctor or pharmacist or even better on a drug interaction checker such as Discovery Health

If you use Discovery Health, you need to disable pop up blockers for that site, as the interaction checker works as a pop up.

Another option could be lozenges or cough drops which are generally benign preparations, but it's always a good idea to check the ingredients.

The most important consideration is a drug/drug interaction with psychotropic drugs (like those commonly used to treat Tourette and related conditions) and many prescription and over the counter preparations
      Steve
      TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

The dry strained cough

Steve:

Very true.

When my son needs medications they are never over the counter for this reason.

Steph:

Thank you for your feed back. When he woke up this morning he was doing much better. It was a bad 48 hours for him. Hopefully he is more relaxed today. Any change (good/bad) can really effect him at times.

Take Care. :D
        PJK

Comment

The dry strained cough

The cough drop and hard candy route seems to work for my daughter. She has braces and recently has started to chew sugar-free gum and I will need to watch more closely to see if this helps her with this coughing too.

Comment

The dry strained cough

HI bugzmom

That is a great idea with the candy and gum. There are times when I go through sucking on the roof of my mouth and I too get dried out. I find keeping mints or gum in my mouth makes a difference.
            Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Working...
            X