Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

"I would be more productive at work if ..."

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I would be more productive at work if ..."

Many times Adults with TS do not want to tell their boss or co-workers that they have TS. It is often the misunderstanding which causes isolation or difficulties in the workplace.

What has been your experience with fitting into your work environment? What do you think employers should know? How would you finish this statement, ""I would be more productive at work if ..."?
    Janet

TSFC Homepage

....I had a job, just kiddin :lol: . I'm on a disability pension rite now but I'm hopin to take some courses or find a part time job sometime soon. I had to work basically alone and Ive only had one job last a year and I worked alone at it.

Comment

My situation only began affecting my work recently. I talked to my boss about it, and he was very accomodating. I'm talking to my doctor and working through various medications, so it's a transitional phase right now. Lately I've been extremely anxious in the office, and have had a harder time controlling or redirecting tics.

But today, I'm working from home. Fortunately my job allows for it quite easily. The only other person here is my fianc?e, and she's quite comfortable with my tics.

Edit: So I'd say either:

"...if I could always work from home."

or

"...if I had my own office."

...neither of which are likely to happen, though.
      Colin

Comment

Cailean

The recent change you describe. was there a specific incident that triggered this. Anxiety is often paralyzing when at work. are you in a situation where you can "escape"? I call it "Needing white space!" when I'm at work. I leave the situation and go for a 10-15 minute walk to regroup.

I think it is great that you have a boss who is so accomodating. Is there any info you feel he could use to help him during this phase?
        Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

No specific incident... just a buildup in stress over the past several months, I think.

I do occasionaly 'escape' when I can, but it's not that often that I'm able to get up and walk away from my desk for more than a few seconds.

As for my boss, I just gave him an overview of what TS was, and explained my situation for him. I also gave him links to a couple of sites about TS, if he wanted to know more.
          Colin

Comment

Many companies recognize the need for a positive employee experience and most understand that a happy employee is more productive.

If we could put together a "Q and A" for Employers, what do you think they would ask? Any ideas on what they may want to know about strategies/accommodations that could easily be implemented?
            Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Well, I am very outgoing and I can walk into any department and see someone and start a conversation so I dont think TS has hampered my social life but because Im am a talkative person, I tic around people and then need to explain myself. Most if not everyone at my job is understanding about it and you find out quickly that you probably arnt the only one at your work with a disorder or disease or soemthing not "normal". But I will say, sometimes if I could work from home (Im a salesman, so that may not work, lol) I would. I admit sometime I feel uncomfortable talking about it with people but for the most part I think most people are understanding.
              The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

Hey Adam

I am really interested in getting some feedback on what info should go into a Q&A for employers. I may have an opportunity to put one together for the TSFC. I know you are out in the workforce and you indicated that TS doesn't affect you socially so I was wondering what you think the Employers would want to know if they had someone on their team with TS. The idea would be to provide them with all the things they need or should know so that TS employees wouldn't have to go through the discomfort of having to explain so much... to relieve that feeling of being uncomfortable especially when being new to a job is stressful enough even for "normies". Then if there was anything that came up that was discussed in the Q&A then at least the employee has the comfort of knowing their employer has the info. Does that make sense?

Anyway, if anyone has anything that you could share from your experiences or from experiences of others you know, then perhaps we could get a brain storm of ideas going.

Looking forward to your thoughts
                Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

My first thought would be that this would be really hard. Because people with TS are so different, it would be hard to address all possible problems. I would also worry that my employer, while reading something, would come across something that does NOT fit me but may somehow fixate on it.

I guess I would primarily want a Q&A that stresses how different people with TS are, just like people without TS are different, and not to generalize. ?

Comment

That's a good point. There is so much info available on TS/TS+, the thought behind the Q&A was to determine what of all that info would be priority to share with an employer... the most common obstacles.

In my career I have struggled with the impulse control and the need to be compliant to the point that I was not able to be flexible/accommodating. Obviously the ADHD and OCD causing the interference since my tics are mild and only present when anxious.

My interest is also in whether there is a need to even offer such a resource.
                    Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

I guess I'd be of no help regarding the common obstacles... I don't have any. Now, my social phobia can present an obstacle.... I couldn't work with the public 8 hours a day, every day... but I just don't apply for those kinds of jobs...

I wonder if an 'online brochure' that let the user pick out the items that pertained to THEM before printing it out would be the way to go? That way they don't risk the employer fixating on the parts that don't relate?

Comment

Janet,

Sorry for the late feedback. I agree that making a "general" rule or so may still be hard due to every person with TS is different and handles TS differently. I would maybe more talk about how other people can be more understanding when working with someone with TS or maybe educate them on some basics of TS so there are not as many surprises. (there can never be NO surprises) But thats all I can think of for now.
                        The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I wonder if an 'online brochure' that let the user pick out the items that pertained to THEM before printing it out would be the way to go? That way they don't risk the employer fixating on the parts that don't relate?
                          I like that idea... I'ld be curious as to how this could work. Being I am not a techie, it is something I'ld like to look into.
                          Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

I'm no techie either! But I'd think it must be possible somehow?????

Comment

I wonder if an 'online brochure' that let the user pick out the items that pertained to THEM before printing it out would be the way to go? That way they don't risk the employer fixating on the parts that don't relate
                              This a great idea. If you locate an online brochure you like, there are various ways to COPY/PASTE sections that are of interest, depending on the software you have.

The easiest way would be to highlight the text that interests you, then press Control-C, which will copy the highlighted text to Windows Clipboard.

Next open Wordpad (or Notepad) but I would recommend Wordpad so you can add some formatting later, like "Bold" "Italics" and modify alignment.

With your text editor open, press Control-V, or EDIT |PASTE and your text will be transferred to the text editor.

Now go back to the brochure, select the next batch of text and repeat the process.

Since Clipboard can save only one bit of text at a time, if you want bits and pieces, then you have to go back and forth.

Another way is to select the entire brochure, paste it into your editor, then delete the parts you don't need.

Sometimes you can download a brochure in pdf format, which allows you to keep the whole thing on your hard drive.

The you can either print the whole thing, or extract selective paragraphs as mentioned earlier.

If you print something like this, the credibility of your printed matter would be enhanced if you indicate the source of your information.

Check for any copyright restrictions as well.

Some information is in the public domain and has no copyright restrictions however.
                              Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
                              If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
                              Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X