Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the updated and refreshed Tourette Canada Online Forum!

Tourette Canada Online Forum is a free, safe, moderated online community where registered users can exchange ideas, information and support about issues related to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Canada has recently changed the server and refreshed the pages so returning members will notice a brighter look. Tourette Canada welcomes back two former moderators, Janet Rumsey and Cathy Wylie, to the Forum. Their knowledge and insight will serve the Tourette Forum participants with dedication and expertise.

We would like to thank the administrators and moderators who have dedicated countless hours to build and maintain the Forum. We look forward to continuing to provide a place for individuals and families affected by Tourette Syndrome and its associated disorders to get information, exchange information with others, and connect with the affiliates and support available across Canada.
See more
See less

Handwriting problems for people with Tourette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handwriting problems for people with Tourette

Many people who have TS have dysgraphia. The difficulty that dysgraphia causes for individuals with TS is in getting thoughts from the brain to the paper for a wide variety of reasons. This results in handwriting that is messy, sloppy and difficult to read. You may also see margins and spacing are uneven. The person may write very little or refuse to write altogether. The reasons may vary from hand cramping to head and eye tics. It could also be due to coordination or fine motor skills. Handwriting can be slow and laborious and, as a result, an area of struggle. Some people are obsessed with writing perfectly and it takes them an inordinate amount of time to accomplish the task. Frequent erasing and a resistance to write are both signs that the person is experiencing symptoms of dysgraphia.

Have you experienced problems with handwriting as a child or as an adult? Do you have a preference with the color ink you use? If you use a color that you do not prefer, then is there an impact on your penmanship?
    Janet

TSFC Homepage

Many people who have TS have dysgraphia
    Many people who have an MD have dysgraphia :P :P

Sorry but I could not resist...

But seriously, Janet I frequently invert letters when I write and/or type, but thanks to my spellchecker which I use every time it picks them up.

Do you suppose it's related to Tourette?
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Homepage
    If you enjoy the TC Forum, please consider a Tourette Canada membership
    Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

my writing is appalling,it always has been ,at school my hand writing would change from big to small,to slanted ,to squat to tall,etc etc
      and i would have to join up every letter for example the letter o would have to be a prefect circle,if it was broken i would go over it again and again until it was a big mess,then i would scribble the whole word out and start again,often ripping out pages of my books and re writing the whole page again
      as an adult my writing is still messy and still changes a lot in height ,depth,slants etc,and i often have to prduce evidence of who i am when signing my debit cards and chequea as my signature changes frequently too
      i also get hand cramps if i write too much and am much faster using a keyboard to type out letters
      i also get the little words backwards when typing,such as the ,was,they,and,then,etc,so always go over my posts before submitting them,although i still miss some of my typo`s
      jo

Comment

This is a very intriguing issue. Do you suppose there is aconnection between the difficulty in writing and the inversion of characters?
        Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage
        Please visit our sister Forum: Psychlinks Psychology and Mental Health Support Forum

Comment

Steve, it's interesting that you posed the question about doctors and dysgraphia because our GP has, like so many, the worst writting ever and he has admitted that he is a "little" obsessive and he is a "little" ADHD :roll: so perhaps it is related to these neurological issues!!

I too have huge issue with inverting letters so I usually preview every message before I post because I type so many mistakes. It is totally a slip of the fingers not the mind because I am very much about proper spelling and sentence structure, etc. I think what happens if that when I type my fingers are trying to keep up with my brain or thoughts and my fingers lose the battle :shock:

Midnight I too have the bad writting and I will half print and half write. Years ago before I had the use of a computer I hand wrote everything and would re-write and re-write things and if I made a mistake I would re-write the entire thing all over. Liquid paper(white out) was not a solution but when I hit university and discovered the backspace and delete buttons I thought life was "grand" ! I too tore so many pages out of my books that when I got to university I resorted to loose leaves and a binder.

I can not write with black ink. The minute I am passed a pen with black ink whether I know it is black ink or not my hand will become more rigid and my penmanship deteriorates.. When I have blue ink... the flow is remarkably better.
          Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Janet:

My son has this problem and prefers to type on the computer. Holding a pencil was such an issue at school in the beginning, yet he could already read.

I prefer typing myself, and never have liked my writing skills, we both dig into the paper out of frustration.

Interesting though all this came up when he was 4 yrs old. It is such a shame he has been given such a bad time over his writing skills in school up to this point.
            PJK

Comment

Here is a good article that helps understand the difficulties of handwriting that may be helpful to share with teachers.

handwriting difficulties

My oldest son uses a laptop in school and I use a computer for everything I have to write... even notes to the teacher. Snapping off the leads or pressing so hard the paper curls is a huge issue. For people who do not have access to a laptop there are alpha smart systems available which are more affordable and easier to use. My son started with this and then moved to a laptop. My friend's son started with a laptop but just moved to using an alpha smart.
              Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

Here's another one for bad handwriting! I can write somewhat neatly if I have to but it requires me going very slowly and pressing down on the paper hard enough that it makes my hand feel crampy after half a page or so. My typing isn't so hot either... again, if I slow down I do fine but I tend to get up to speeds where I lose some control and my fingers seem to have minds of their own. To stay at slower speeds requires a lot of focus, strangely enough. *shrug*

I'm lucky though that I don't have the neatness OC behavior when it comes to writing... whiting out or scratching out are not problems for me most of the time.

Comment

Has anyone had luck with the voice recognition software to get around handwriting and typing problems?

We tried it a few years ago for my son, but he couldn't get it to recognize him saying 'the' along with a lot of other common words. He got frustrated before he could 'train' the software to work for him (or train himself to use it properly?)

I was wondering if the newer software has improved.
                  Cathy
                  Forum Moderator

Comment

I've heard that it has... I know someone who uses a program and says it's pretty good but can't remember its name... 'Dragon-something'????

Comment

Dragon Naturally Speaking is the software, sometimes included with Wordperfect Suite.

I used an earlier version a couple of years ago and was impressed by it's effectiveness. However it does require training but after the time is invested in training, it will pick up the nuances of your speech.

BTW Windows and MS Internet Explorer can also be controlled with speech recognition software.

Beware...Tourette vocal tics can play havoc on speech recognition software. You can be constantly correcting because the microphone doesn't know what's a real word and what's a tic!
                      Steve

Tourette Canada Homepage

Comment

I also have ALWAYS had problems with handwriting. When I went to school handwriting was extremely important (and Germans seem to be caring more about everything to be done the 'proper' way anyway), and they would even give you a worse mark in math, if it looked messy! It was very frustrating for me, as I could never write as fast as I thought, and as a result would make mistakes, cross them out, write words in between the lines of writing etc. In order for the teachers to be able to read the essays we had to write in class, they'd keep me in for recess, to copy everything again. But the longer I write, the messier my handwriting gets. School was torture for me.

I still can write neatly for only half a page at the most, after which my handwriting deteriorates. And my perfectionism then gets the better of me, and I have to rewrite things many times, my frustation mounts, and sometimes a meltdown is the end result.

So, I now type all my letters on the computer. My kids tell me that's too impersonal, but I tell them that my friends would rather get a typed letter, than no letter at all. Plus, they all understand.

From somebody posting about this very issue in an Asperger syndrome forum I know that most autistic people (AS is high functioning autism), have this problem as well. So, I guess that I come by it honestly .
                        German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Comment

Working...
                        X