Hyper Focus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper Focus

I'm curious to know if many others that have TS+ especially ADHD (or simply ADHD) suffer from the debilitating effects of Hyper Focus usually combined with nothing else getting taken care of.

I've never understood how I could go from extreme procrastination to obsessive hyper focus when I'm stuck on something. I can go days without eating or barely eating. It's been worse since I've been on disability and living alone. No one to snap me out of it except being against the wall about something that becomes urgent. Nothing else seems to get done. My mind can't let go of something (hint my recent postings on the forum)

I'd love to hear (and I'm sure many others also) about how others deal with this issue (if they have it)

Thanks,
    Gary
    Gary
    "If at first you don't succeed....
    CRY and CRY again!"

Re: Hyper Focus

I recently adopted a new rescue cat, age 5, from the Humane Society.

She doesn't like me sitting at my computer, or looking at my iPad or iPhone either for that matter. And she lets me know.

And she's a good reminder that she needs to be fed, even if I've forgotten to feed me.

Comment

Are you on any prescribed form of psychostimulant by chance?

As I know their often used in treatment of ADHD. And what your describing sounds a lot like "tweaking".

If it does so happen you are being treated through the use of stimulants. Then could be a sign the dose is too high or something like that.

Someone with better knowledge on this subject could better advise I'm sure. But just thought I'd mention this in case it applied here.

- Sk3tchy
      Ottawa, ON

Comment

Originally posted by Sk3tchy View Post
        Are you on any prescribed form of psychostimulant by chance?

As I know their often used in treatment of ADHD. And what your describing sounds a lot like "tweaking".

If it does so happen you are being treated through the use of stimulants. Then could be a sign the dose is too high or something like that.

Someone with better knowledge on this subject could better advise I'm sure. But just thought I'd mention this in case it applied here.

- Sk3tchy
        Ottawa, ON
        Hi Sk3tchy, actually 2 totally different things. the "tweaking" you refer to is not the same thing as hyper focus. Actually I've only ever heard or read about tweaking as something related to meth addicts that abuse and go on binges.

This following is a partial C/P from the article at http://www.healthline.com/health/adh...oms-hyperfocus
        (it's s good article but a little long to post the whole thing so just a little will have to do)

What Is Hyperfocus?

Hyperfocus is the experience of deep and intense concentration in some people with ADHD. ADHD is not necessarily a deficit of attention, but rather a problem with regulating one’s attention span to desired tasks. So, while mundane tasks may be difficult to focus on, others may be completely absorbing. An individual with ADHD who may not be able to complete homework assignments or work projects may instead be able to focus for hours on video games, sports, or reading.

People with ADHD may immerse themselves so completely in an activity that they want to do or enjoy doing to the point that they become oblivious to everything around them. This concentration can be so intense that an individual loses track of time, other chores, or the surrounding environment. While this level of intensity can be channeled into difficult tasks, such as work or homework, the downside is that ADHD individuals can become immersed in unproductive activities while ignoring pressing responsibilities.
        Much of what is known about ADHD is based on expert opinion or anecdotal evidence from people with the condition. Hyperfocus is a controversial symptom because there is currently limited scientific evidence that it exists. It is also not experienced by everyone with ADHD.

------------------------ end of C/P -----------------------

As for my meds, stimulants are out of the question because of my heart and arterial condition. 3 heart attacks, a triple bypass with (at age 39) 7 stents and also PAD (peripheral arterial disease) I'm on the opposite type of meds for my TS+, clonidine, clonazepam and abilify. More or less in a vegetative state but it beats the other side of the spectrum of my disorders like anxiety and irritability sniffing like a coke head just to name a few.
        Gary
        CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

I appreciate the information, and I hope I didn't offend.

I have seen numerous people in my time be overprescribed things like Adderall, Dexadrine, Vyvanase, etc... For ADHD and it cause them to "tweak" no different than someone abusing meth.

So it was the similarities in what you were describing that concerned me and hence why I brought it up. And again, I hope I didn't offend.

I myself have had to contend with ADHD, OCD, TS my whole life. Have had to undergo surgery as a result of damage self imposed through tics... But nevertheless I get on and make the best of things!

Appreciate the info though, as you taught me something new!

Cheers!
          Last edited by aparente001; August 8, 2017, 10:42 PM. Reason: ticks -> tics

Comment

I appreciate the information, and I hope I didn't offend.

I have see numerous people in my time be over prescribed things like Adderall, Dexadrine, Vyvanase, etc... For ADHD and it cause them to "tweak" no different than someone abusing meth.

So it was the similarities in what you were describing that concerned me and hence why it brought it up. And again, I hope I didn't offend.

I myself have had to contend with ADHD, OCD, TS my whole life. Have had to undergo surgery due as a result of damage self imposed through ticks... But nevertheless I get on and make the best of things!

Appreciate the info though as you taught me something new!

Cheers!
            Heck no, no offense caused or taken at all. Actually a very good observation on your part and greatly appreciated. Might come in handy for someone else that might be in that situation.

If it's not too personal would you care to share what surgery was required and the tics that caused the damage? Not to be nosey, just curious.

Regards,
            Gary
            CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

Not too personal at all. I came to accept my TS and everything that comes with it long ago.

The specific tic which has resulted in surgeries, is flicking my wrist around. Started with straining it one day many years ago. Then the TS took hold of stretching it out certain ways. And within 3 years I had damaged my median nerve to a point of EMG results being non responsive.

They did carpal release surgery which has stopped it getting worse. But to this day I have minimal feeling in one hand. And of course, still have that same tick that started the complications in the first place. Its just one of the many things I've long accepted as being "it is what it is" :-)

Cheers
              Last edited by aparente001; August 8, 2017, 10:44 PM. Reason: tick -> tic

Comment

Not too personal at all. I came to accept my TS and everything that comes with it long ago.

The specific tick which has resulted in surgeries, is flicking my wrist around. Started with straining it one day many years ago. Then the TS took hold of stretching it out certain ways. And within 3 years I had damaged my median nerve to a point of EMG results being non responsive.

They did carpal release surgery which has stopped it getting worse. But to this day I have minimal feeling in one hand. And of course, still have that same tick that started the complications in the first place. Its just one of the many things I've long accepted as being "it is what it is" :-)

Cheers
                Thanks for sharing and especially glad to hear your positive attitude in spite of the problem. Wish I had that gift.
                I nearly destroyed my sinuses and throat when my sniffing and snorting were really bad for years and I used to sing. I've heard of some people putting their shoulders out of wack in the same way. I still have that tic mostly when I'm eating for some reason

Some tics suck, especially those persistent ones that never seem to graduate to something else; that part never get's a break. My TS is considered "minor" (sure LOL) but the meds have helped a lot although There would be a major problem being on them if I had to work. my comorbidities are more of an issue now that the Tics have been reduced or my focus has simply shifted from one issue to another LOL

Take care

---------- Post Merged at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Originally posted by djbaxter View Post
                I recently adopted a new rescue cat, age 5, from the Humane Society.

She doesn't like me sitting at my computer, or looking at my iPad or iPhone either for that matter. And she lets me know.
                David, I see you're online... is the cat sleeping? or giving you the look?
                Gary
                CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

It took many years to get to the acceptance I have with my TS today.

And I myself have put my shoulders and ribs "out of whack" due to tics. I have also lost the ability to speak for periods in excess of 6 months as a result of neck/facial tics that damage the nerve that controls my vocal cords.

Been on many meds over the years. Clonazepam and Cesemet being the ones I found most effective.

But I have also found they affect my cognitive ability. And thus I rarely take them as they affect my work. And as I happen to work from home (I'm the Director of an IT company based out of Fort Lauderdale. But work from home in Ottawa. ON. And the only reason I'm up at this hour is too much to do, so little time... Ugh.) I've learned to cope minus the meds I guess you could say.

But always intrigued to hear what struggles others have had with so called "minor" TS ;-)
                  Last edited by aparente001; August 8, 2017, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryQ View Post
                    David, I see you're online... is the cat sleeping? or giving you the look?
                    She was next to me meowing about it being bedtime.

Comment

Originally posted by djbaxter View Post
                      She was next to me meowing about it being bedtime.
                      sorry, can't resist this one....

You sure you picked up a cat? sounds more like a spouse ROTFLOL
                      Gary
                      CRY and CRY again!"

Comment

She's a bit of each :D

Comment

Working...
                        X