Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any people with TS that are Tired often?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any people with TS that are Tired often?

I often feel tired/ not motivated. Could this be related to TS?

hello max... welcome to the board. I'm a newcomer here as well, however I haven't had a diagnosis of TS but I'm suspicious to some symptoms I have had all of my life... clearing of the throat and throat noises (grunting, clicking etc.)

I am curious though as to ongoing pyschological/physical symptoms such as tiredness and/or lack of motivation. I also do wonder as to our mental processes and how they tie in, way of thinking, confused thoughts, or confusion being understood.. I did a test about Aspergers and found qualities there also... so don't know how each tie in to each other or individually.

deb

Comment

Hi Deb. Sometimes, I find it hard to differ if its a lack of motivation or plain being tired as both seem the same. I do have problems falling asleep because my head is running all the time, thinking, sorting things out. I also do the grunting / throat clearing or other sounds that we seem to integrate our vocal tics into something that will blend with the public and seem less out of place. than words.

Marc

Comment

Marc

Welcome to the TSFC forum!

My son has difficulty falling to sleep as well and then the following day is exhausting. Other times he could sleep for 12 or more hours and wake up feeling good.

Sometimes activity can help find some balance to this roller coaster with him. For others it may trigger more tics.

Even a walk through the neighborhood seems to help him, but at first he had not stamina, so the walks were shorter.

Does activity seem to trigger more tics for you?

Hope you visit often and join in on discussions.
        PJK

Comment

Being tired and unmotivated is not generally considered part of Tourette Syndrome.

OTOH difficulty to fall asleep might be, due to the higher level of baseline anxiety often experienced by people with Tourette. Difficulty to fall asleep is usually associated with anxiety.

Are you taking any medications at this time? Do you experience sleep disturbances, such as early morning awakening?

Have you discussed how you feel with your physician?
          Steve
          TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

I'm tired all the time.

A big part of it right now is medication that makes me drowsy, but I've always had this issue. (Actually, I think it started with mono when I was in high school -- I slept for a good month there and I've been tired ever since!)

Anyways, I've noticed (and heard) that many of us in the Tourette's+ spectrum (including those with ADHD, AS, OCD, PDD, etc.) are more strongly affected by the little things. Medications, for instance, can have a more profound impact on us and our "atypical" neurology. But small positive changes such as healthier eating and exercise can make all the difference. (That's true for pretty much anyone, but I think it can be even more important for us sometimes.)
            Colin

Comment

For myself activity does not help with my tics, but helps me sleep. Mostly the best activity for myself is heavy weight lifting. This seems to get my system to be tired enough to sleep better. Although time is not an asset that I have to do this all the time.

I was wondering since I read that some TS people had OC/DP (Obsessive Compulsive/ Depressive).

I will look into OTOH. I have been having Anxiaty/Panic attacks the past five years. I can now seem to control them because I lost my fear of them knowing that It cannot hurt me. The worst that will happen is that I will pass out. And hey, I'm still a winner because I went to sleep!!!!.

Marc

Comment

Cailean:

I think it started with mono when I was in high school -- I slept for a good month there and I've been tired ever since!
                I too had mono when in school and found that my energy level never got back to what it was prior to then.

Marc:

Mostly the best activity for myself is heavy weight lifting
                The fact that you respond to heavy weights and you do this to relax or settle is a good practice. Occupational therapists do use weights as a treatment/strategy to help people cope with their symptoms. M<y oldest (14) struggles with falling to sleep and always has and we came to realize that he relax with the help of weighted blankets, etc and now has a down comforter on his bed which makes a difference.

Have you ever seen someone in OT?
                Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

I also had MONO in my early teens. slept for weeks. Come to think of It I don't recall being energetic ever since.

I have seen a DR, but he is not familiar with Tourettes. I don't take any medications but was prescribed Clonazapam (I think its spelt right) to relax muscles. but it seemed to give me nightmares so I only used it for 2 weeks about 4 years ago.

Comment

tired..

Hi there,

I'm new here, all the way from Singapore.

I have had TS for the last 22 years. I've been on Haloperidol since I started at 12, but have dropped my dosage drastically as I grew older.

In school, I couldn't stay awake at all especially for the first few hours. And the rest of the day was somewhat a blur. I quickly learnt how to sleep with my eyes open!!

I do believe it was the meds.

I did also have trouble sleeping at night, probably due to ADHD. My mind tends to jump here and there, I can start off thinking about Math, and end up with squishing garden snails, with 20 different things in between.

I've gotten used to feeling this way, but as compared to most people, I do feel more lethargic and less motivated to do stuff.

There isn't much help for TS people in this region, so whatever I know, it's been through research over the internet and self-diagnosis. Haloperidol was prescribed by a neurosurgeon. I think that's all they know about current meds for TS. Haloperidol and Respiradol. (Don't know how to spell it)

When I exercise moderately, I tend to feel more alive and swimming seems to get me more active.

Hey, hope it helps.

Comment

It's quite likely your drowsiness is the side effect of the medications you have been taking. Have you dicsussed updating your medication therapy with your physician?
                      Steve
                      TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Hola Bizzi! Good to meet ya!!!

I'm tired all the time too... I never attributed it to back when I had mono, and I had it in 6th grade.. hard to look back that far, especially with puberty and stuff in there too!! Hmmm...
                        I've been wondering if it's allergies and slowly trying to make my home more allergen free.... also recently got tests done for thyroid and anemia issues.. all came back good though.

I find coffee to be very helpful. ;)

Comment

tiredness

Hola, como estas? Haejinn.

Yes, coffee saved my adulthood!!

I started drinking coffee when I was 21, while I was attending a really boring course. I was asleep for 3-4 hours in class everyday. Man, it was bad.

And the coffee here is "cafe robusta" not "arabica". If you've had good traditional robusta, you'll know that it's stronger than 2 x espresso.

But then again, I've heard recently that coffee encourages tics.

Sigh.. I live for coffee...

Comment

mono

By the way,

What's MONO?

Some of you mentioned it earlier.

Thanks in advance,

Comment

What's MONO?
                              Bizzi, you've asked a good question.

Infectious Mononucleosis

Infectious mononucleosis, "mono," "kissing disease", and glandular fever are all terms popularly used for the very common illness caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), a member of the herpesvirus family. By the time most people reach adulthood, an antibody against EBV can be detected in their blood. In the U.S., up to 95% of adults aged 35-40 have antibodies directed against EBV. This means that most people, sometime in their lives, have been infected with EBV. (The body's immune system produces antibodies to attack and help destroy invading viruses and bacteria. These specific antibodies can be detected in the blood of patients who have been infected.)

The designation ?mononucleosis? refers to an increase in a special type of white blood cells (lymphocytes) in the bloodstream relative to the other blood components as a result of the EBV infection. "Mono" is most often diagnosed in adolescents and young adults, with a peak incidence at ages 15-17. However, it is also seen in children. Generally, the illness is less severe in young children and may mimic the symptoms of other common childhood illnesses, which may explain why it is less commonly diagnosed or recognized in this younger age group. While there are other illnesses falling under the broad classification of "mononucleosis" that cause similar symptoms and an increase in blood lymphocytes, the form caused by the EBV is by far the most common.

Click Here for a complete overview on Infectious Mononucleosis
                              Steve
                              TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X