Anyone else has Trichotillomania along with TS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else has Trichotillomania along with TS

I have Trichotillomania along with my tourettes. Its not common but I have heard of it. I read a book a few years back called "Twitch and Shout" a Touretters Tale" I cant remember the authors name as I lost my book. But he mentions some TS people with Trichotillomania.

I Have never pulled the head on my head, but me Eye lashes and beard. Its something I don't think about, sort of like cracking your knuckles or biting you nails.

I would be interested in hearing If anyone else has this.

Marc

Definition of Trichotillomania

Trichotillomania: Compulsive hair pulling. A disorder characterized by the repeated urge to pull out scalp hair, eyelashes, eyebrows or other body hair. It is believed to be related to obsessive-compulsive disorder. Treatment may include cognitive-behavior therapy and medications in the {Selective Seretonin Re-uptake Inhibitor} SSRI class of medications such as Prozac, indicated for treating OCD.

From tricho-, hair + Greek till(ein) to pluck, pull out + -o- + -mania.

Obsessive Compulsive behaviour is a frequent co-morbid condition to Tourette Syndrome, or Tourette Plus.
    Steve
    TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Have you tried Inosital? I came across this when I read about it on the OCD forum.

"
      Inositol and Trichotillomania

By Fred Penzel, Ph.D.

EDITORS NOTE: DR. FRED PENZEL HAS BEEN A LONGTIME FRIEND OF THE TRICH COMMUNITY. WHEN HE TOLD US ABOUT HIS EXPERIENCE WITH INOSITOL, I SUGGESTED HE WRITE ABOUT IT FOR US. REMEMBER, THIS IS INFORMATIONAL ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE OF USE TO EVERYONE. IF YOU DECIDE TO TRY INOSITOL ON A TRIAL BASIS, PLEASE WORK WITH YOUR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL TO DETERMINE IF IT IS APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR BODY. THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT. DON'T MIX CHEMICALS (NATURAL OR SYNTHETIC) WITHOUT A FULL UNDERSTANDING OF THE POTENTIAL INTERACTIONS. JUST BECAUSE IT IS "NATURAL" DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS ALWAYS BENEFICIAL! BUT, ON THE OTHER HAND, OVER THE YEARS, MANY PEOPLE HAVE REPORTED THAT DIETARY CHANGES AND VARIOUS SUPPLEMENTS DEFINITELY AFFECT THE URGE TO PULL, SO PERHAPS THIS ARTICLE MAY ADD A LITTLE MORE TO YOUR "TRICH TOOL-BOX "

This is one of the questions I intend to ask about Inosital when I go the Tourettes Clinic tomorrow.
      Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
        Definition of Trichotillomania

Trichotillomania: Compulsive hair pulling. A disorder characterized by the repeated urge to pull out eyebrows or other body hair.
        I'm always pulling at my eyebrow hairs, but not pulling them out as it hurts too much.. but I do pull at them a lot.

Comment

I have never pulled my eyebrows or any other hair, just beard and eyelashes. I guess it was much easier to pull these without being noticed to much.

Its hard to explain. Yes it does hurt and I don't like it, but something inside you seems to need this. Every time it hurts you wonder why you are doing it, but just like cracking knuckles or biting nails you are back to it without noticing.

I will try to find Inositol at a local GNC.

Marc.

Comment

Links:

Dr. Penzel's website information about inositol for neuropsychiatric conditions
            Westsuffolkpsych.homestead.com/inositol.html

This gives the whole reference to inosital by this Dr. If you go there you can read his experience.

Rose

Comment

my son had a bout of this a few years back at around the age of 6,he had pulled a large patch of hair from the back,he would twist the hair and pull constantly like a nervous habit,in an attempt to stop him doing this i shaved his hair off very short so he couldnt wrap the hair around his fingers any longer,this did cure him,and as the hair grew back i was ready with the clippers again but the urge must have died over time because he hasnt done it again since then,i guess no one can say he will never do it again though,he does have TS,i suppose it is a kind of compulsion that needed to be fulfilled.

Comment

Well, I have tried Inositol now for about three weeks. It seemed to make me worst more than anything else. I had to stop taking it, and after three days I was back to normal again (well , at least the normal I am used to). My OC was even worst and my ADD as well because I was not only ADD but now tired as well. while I was on it, I my dentist fixed my front tooth because it was broken. The inositol seemed to make my OC severe enough to start trying to brake my new tooth. And I am struggling with this now. Hopefully this will go away.

For my TRICH, I found that by shaving all the time It helps and was completely free of it for 1.5 years. All it takes is one very stressful situation and it can be back. This is what brought it back for me.

Marc

Comment

Re: Anyone else has Trichotillomania along with TS

I pull my eyelashes, eyebrows and hair as well. Fortunately only those, which fall out easily (would probably fall out by themselves in a couple of days). I also pick my skin and bite my fingernails, but these things don't really bother me as they cause no real damage. My son has a problem with skin picking as well, and he also tends to tear his nails - the end result might end up being a painful one if he does this often during a month or so. I often hand him some object to put his fingers on when he watches TV and that has helped a bit.

Comment

Wow, I've kind of done this a little as far as I can remember but never connected it with TS before I saw this post. It's not constant, but every once in awhile I will go into a bout of it for a period of time. I don't think I have it as bad as other people, because i don't have bald patches or anything, but I sure seem to find some big heaps of hair around my place lol.
                    I don't know why I never connected it with TS before, I guess because it doesn't seem like ticing really, closer to a bad habbit. It's amazing the number of ways TS affects us that we don't necessarily even think about or realize. I wonder now what other things there might be..

Comment

my son seems to have better control of his tics now but he pulls eyelashes when stressed.

---------- Post Merged at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Wondering if upping fluoxetine from 40 to 50 would help by addressing anxiety more.

Comment

Originally posted by folk View Post
                        my son seems to have better control of his tics now but he pulls eyelashes when stressed.
                        Pulling eyelashes is not a healthy alternative or competing response for tics and should not be encouraged. Serious injury can occur to his eyes and is self injurious behavior. Furthermore, your son would be substituting a compulsion with another compulsion, which would be counterproductive as an acceptable strategy.

I believe your son is receiving CBIT from your earlier post.

Wondering if upping fluoxetine from 40 to 50 would help by addressing anxiety more.
                        The Forum cannot provide advice on medication dosage, as this is a matter that should be discussed and determined by your son's physician.

Have you discussed strategies to assist your son in dealing with stressors, like relaxation techniques such as those outlined HERE?

You may have to look at what the actual stress triggers are in your son's case and work on mitigating those stress triggers.

How old is your son?
                        Steve
                        TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

Hi Steve,
                          My 13 year olds eyelash pulling has been on and off for about a year. We sought help from a psychologist for some time but it did not help. Now that he is no longer having tic Attacks he seems to be doing more eyelash pulling. We are very concerned about this behavior. I am looking for a new psychologist to help. Thank you for the script for relaxation. Will give it a good try!

Comment

Working...
                          X