baby talk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baby talk

Can anyone tell me if excessive baby talk is a symptom or offshoot of Tourettes??

baby talk

Hi Chris!

How old is the child/person and how would you describe the baby talk.

Has a diagnosis been made for Tourette?
    Steve
    TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

baby talk

He is almost 12 and yes is diagnosed with what the doctor calls a 'mild case' that only includes tics. He's an A - B student, very outgoing, athletic and mature in some ways, but falls into fake laughing outbusts and consistant baby talk and occasional lisping. While being fully capable of speaking and acting 'normal' most of the time.

Comment

baby talk

Vocal tics take on some unusual forms, which seem to test the limits of one's vocal abilities. So one might shriek at the highest frequency possible, or grunt at the lowest frequency possible.

Other forms of voal tics might include peculiar speech patterns one might have heard, or certain phrases or strings of words containing strings of vowels or consonents.

Ask you son about his tics and have him describe whay he's doing what hes's doing. By remaining no judgemental and allowing him to describe his tics without feeling embarrased will go a long way to establish a trust bond between you.

Let us know the outcome.
        Steve
        TouretteLinks Forum

Comment

baby talk

Thank you, we have done this. He can't tell me if the talk is TS related or not, he can with the tics but for this he simply says "I don't know why I do it".

All I'm really trying to find out is if anyone out there has ever heard if baby talk is related to TS or just one of those kid habits that he'll grow out of.

Comment

baby talk

Hi Chris:

It's interesting that you brought up the "baby talk" issue...I, too, have been wondering the same for a little while.

My son is 5, and has not yet been diagnosed with TS, though we have our final appt. at Toronto Western in July at which time he probably will be diagnosed. At this time he has no symptoms of associated behaviours -- only mild tics.

Back in September, he started speaking in "baby talk". Though he is quite a bit younger than your son, he is quite mature for his age, and up until that time, had not spoken in baby talk since, well, he was a baby! At first, I thought it may be a symptom of TS. However, upon getting to know some of his classmates, I decided that he was imitating one of the friends in his class -- this child has a speech impediment, and when he talks, he sounds like a baby.

Could I have been wrong? Maybe... I find that my son mostly speaks this way when he is feeling insecure about something, so I'm not sure if it is an offshoot of TS.

Hope that helps -- just wanted to let you know of my experience with this.

Sandra

Comment

baby talk

Hi Sandra,

My son will imitate me sometimes. I have a cough that started about 2 months ago and I just can't shake it.

My son will sometimes start coughing just like me, especially when we are supposed to be quiet (like church). When I am supposed to be quiet and I absolutely have to cough, this is when I sympathize with people with TS.

Or maybe this is his way to redirect his tics?

The imitating is called echolalia which is repeating words and phrases.

Comment

baby talk

Hi Stephanie,

I don't think my son has echolalia, as he doesn't show any symptoms of this otherwise. I think he was just imitating the boy in his class just as any other "normal" child would have. The only thing I question is when it comes up, which usually is at his most insecure times.

Thanks for your input.

Sandra

Comment

baby talk

I also have 10yr. old who goes in and out of baby talk. It seems to coinside with stress levels or excitment levels. He is also a shreeker and whinner, but the baby talk is very annoying. He has done this for as long as I can remmember. I am pretty much convinced that it is an off shoot of his TS+Plus. I don't know if this helps you or not but we do have the same problem.

Comment

baby talk

This is such an interesting topic and it's amazing how many of you have seen this in your kids. I have not but I have seen it in other family members ie outside my immediate family and never considered it to potentially be a part of the TS spectrum... I wonder how common it is? I don't think it has ever come up as a topic of discussion before throughout the forum or in my travels to conference etc.
                    Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

baby talk

the only 1 out of 3 who does the baby talk on a regular basis is a bit delayed. more imuture if you will. he is 10 but probably wiggles inbetween that and 8 at any given moment. the oldest has done it as well but only in very high anxiety situations, and not very often. i dont think the youngest does it at all and if he does it is not very often. with the 10yr. old we have found that neurontin has helped to stabilise his baby talk whinning, shreeking and inability to co-oparate. he recently seemed to relapse and he had been on the same does for so long (yrs.) so we had it increased (the least invasive to increase) and he was all better, it was amazing. don't know if that helps anyone but that has been our experience.

Comment

baby talk

Is neurontin used only to help manage this behavior or was it prescribed for other reasons. I don't know much about it, isn't it used for seizures and for targeting some types of pain?
                        Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

baby talk

Chris

I too have experienced the "baby talk" with my 12yr old, again it is stress related and usually after he has done a lot of forced laughing and shrieking. He sometimes apologizes for his loud laughs or shrieks and they appear to bother him.

I just tell him its alright and don't make a big deal over them though they are loud and wake my husband up while he is sleeping after working nights.
                          TV seems to promote most of these tics so we limit it during the day to keep life a bit more quiet.

The "baby talk" usually subsides after he gets a hug, I tell him I love him and I pull him away from what he was doing to help me, like in the kitchen.

The older kids seemed to be bothered by it early on but better understand it now and have seen the same pattern.
                          My son has TS+ and although I feel the talk is related I feel it is more related to insecurity and inner stress over his tics that he can not control.

I hope this makes since to other readers it is a topic I once thought was only related to my own situation. I see now it is shared to some degree.
                          PJK

Comment

Working...
                          X