Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which seems more distressing?...vocal or motor

Hi all,

I am just curious if any of your children have stated which tics bother them more. It seems that the vocal tics seem to bother or frustrate my son much more than the motor tics. His tic is a forced kind of laughing sound and a loud kind of sigh. It almost seems as if the vocal tics take more effort on his part and are more distracting to him. They also bother me more because I can hear them wherever I am in the house, even if I am not near him. Of course I only see the motor tics when I am "observing" him. The motor tics are obvious tics and noticeable. Lots of shoulder movement and arm flinching/flailing.

Grammy

which seems more distressing?...vocal or motor

I'm not a parent but I'll answer from my experience -- It depends on the tics. I find vocal tics especially frustrating since they're harder to control. Most motor tics don't bother me much unless they involve large movements that are physically tiring, or very obvious/noticable.
    Colin

Comment

Hi Grammy,

My son has mainly motor tics and the only one he found that interfered with his life was the one where he curled his toes and bent his leg.

Everyone noticed that one and he was really made fun of for that.

The vocal tics which are for the moment are gone was one where he said ama all the time. During stressful times in his life, I notice that it comes back.

That motor tic was very frustrating for him and it would be hard for him if it came back.

Comment

Grammy:

Vocal tics can be hard on my son and seem frustrating to him especially when they become louder or he has that 'forced laugh" you referred too.

His motor tics can be very painful though, especially with the shoulders and neck jerking.

So I guess it is a toss up in our case. We talk through the vocal tics but the motor tics are very hard to relieve and tend to trap him in one position until the process is over.
        PJK

Comment

PJK,

tend to trap him in one position until the process is over.
          That is exactly what it is like!!

That is well put, PJK.

Stephanie

Comment

Working...
          X