Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 years old????

Hi all,

My 10 year old son's tics have been becoming more constant and more varied over the last year.

Is 10 the typical age for tics to worsen? Do they keep getting worse? I hope the tics level off and of course lessen with age.

What is your experience?

Grammy

10 years old????

Hi Grammy

I didn't find my oldest son's tics worsen at age 10 but when he hit 12 they certainly did. Once the onset of puberty or even early puberty makes an impact on most especially boys... he was an early bloomer so now he is 14 and 6 ft tall and looks 18... I have found that his tics have settled over the past 4 months more than ever before... my fingers are crossed that perhaps they will stay settled till he gets through exams.
    Janet

TSFC Homepage

Comment

10 years old????

Grammy:

The age 10 was a climax for my son's temper & tics but now that he is nearly 13 I see them leveling off a bit more and we do not have anger issues like before.

In our case I found having him ride his bike more or become involved with sports like baseball helped a lot. It seemed to burn the frustrated energy down and his tolerance to things seemed to balance out and become less short.

We also cut all caffeine out of his diet and dark sodas around 10 forward. I saw that in my eldest it helped, but then they both have some ADHD or ADD issues. Only the youngest has TS+

It gets better in time and you will see tics come and go. A lot of my son's motor tics have improved.

There seems to be a pattern with boys vs. girls and this is one of the reasons this forum is so important. With every participating we can see the patterns and be better aware. Boys seem to start sooner between 10 -12 while girls seem to worsen later in their mid-teens then level off.

Has anyone else seen this pattern?
      PJK

Comment

10 years old????

Thanks Janet. I was wondering if all the physical changes of puberty could cause an increase in tics.

Hi PJK. I am trying to eliminate his caffeine also. That is tough when they are so used to it. What is in the dark drinks that is a problem? I've never heard of that.

Also, he has quite a temper (only at home, though and not at school or when he visits other people's homes). Hopefully, he can get a hold on that temper.

I hope with time things improve.

Grammy

Comment

10 years old????

Grammy:

Dark sodas are more have higher levels of sugar and mixed with caffeine is a bad combination.
          My eldest step-son eyes use to dilate after drinking "P" or "C" and become mean and stubborn. His appearance was one of rage, it was just awful.

My son became more irritable and high strung, more defendant and shorter fused.

We provide clear soda's once in awhile and the withdrawals from the dark sodas can be as bad as letting them have it, so watch out.

I keep bottled water, juice, milk in the house. I also have concerns about red & blue food colour with both boys. They can push them over the edge with their temper.

Good Luck!
          PJK

Comment

Working...
          X